A home basketball hoop is a great way to encourage exercise and outside time for the whole family. They also make it much easier for kids on the basketball team to practice without having to go to the nearest rec center. In this guide, we’ll review the best portable basketball hoops to help you find the perfect one for you!
Our Top Picks
|Best Overall: Lifetime 90040.|
This classic hoop features an industry-standard backboard, rim, and height range so you can play like the pros from home.
|Runner Up: Lifetime 1269 Pro.|
Another classic hoop, this time with a shatterproof polycarbonate backboard that’s transparent to mimic the glass used by the pros.
|Best Budget: Best Choice Portable Hoop.|
A much more affordable option, this hoop features weather-resistant materials, oversized wheels for mobility, and of course, height-adjustability.
|Best Adjustable: SKLZ Pro Mini.|
For the widest range of height-adjustability, check out the SKLZ Pro Mini, which can be sent anywhere between 3 and 7 feet!
|Best Youth: Lifetime 90022.|
The tapered backboard of this youth-sized hoop helps encourage better aim, and the adjustable height means it can grow when they do.
|Best for Toddlers: AugToy Toddler’s Hoop.|
When the little ones want to join in the fun, this lightweight, toddler-sized hoop is the perfect solution.
|Best Indoor: SKLZ Pro Mini Indoor.|
Whether you’re working from home or just want to enjoy some basketball without the summer heat, this over-door backboard and rim system is the best way to enjoy some sports indoors.
|Best for the Pool: GoSports Splash Hoop PRO.|
Shooting some hoops by the pool is a favorite summer pastime, and is made easier and better than ever thanks to this 3-foot poolside system.
A Closer Look: Best Portable Basketball Hoops
From toddler hoops to a classic standalone hoop that will help your high schoolers with practice- we’ve got more details on all of the best portable basketball hoops below.
1. Lifetime 90040 Adjustable Basketball System
The overall best portable basketball hoop.
Brand: Lifetime | Height: 7.5-10ft | Backbaord: 44″ | Rim: 18″ | Price: 💰💰
Taking our first-place prize is Lifetime’s 90040 Height-Adjustable Basketball System. A telescoping mechanism in the pole allows the backboard to be adjusted between 7.5 and 10 feet in 6-inch increments, so you can take it down for shorter and younger players, or bring it up to industry standard for a game like the pros.
The classic-style rim features a nylon net that is durable and weather-resistant to withstand life outdoors, making it arguably the best portable basketball hoop for driveway use. To keep things steady, the 27-gallon base can be filled with water or sand. Wheels in the base make it easy to move the hoop as needed even when the base is full.
- Opaque backboard with basketball design and clear frame of reference for bounce shots
- Industry standard 44” backboard, 18” rim, and 10-foot height to mimic professional hoops
- Durable materials including nylon and high-density polyethylene to withstand all kinds of weather
- Adjusting the height while the base is filled and heavy can be difficult
- Some reviewers found the assembly instructions vague and difficult to follow
2. Lifetime 1269 Pro-Court Portable Basketball System
Brand: Lifetime | Height: 7.5-10ft | Backbaord: 44″ | Rim: 18″ | Price: 💰💰💰
In a close second comes another Lifetime model, the 1269 Pro. The only difference between this model and our first-place model 90040 is the backboard. Rather than an opaque surface with a basketball design, this pro-style board is transparent. Thanks to the shatterproof polycarbonate material, you can see through it like glass without worry of breaking it with an overzealous layup. It’s definitely the best portable basketball hoop under $300 right now!
- Fade-resistant graphics and orange coloring on rim to last for years to come
- 44” backboard, 18” rim, and 7.5 – 10 foot height range to play by industry standards
- Durable nylon and shatterproof polycarbonate materials to withstand long-term outdoor use
- Adjusting the height is difficult to do when the base is full of sand or water
- The most expensive hoop on our list, with the only added benefit being the transparent, shatterproof backboard
3. Best Choice Products Kids’ Basketball Hoop
The best portable basketball hoop for the money.
Brand: Best Choice Products | Height: 5.5-7ft | Backbaord: 28″ | Rim: 16″ | Price: 💰💰
If you’re looking for a more affordable hoop without sacrificing quality, check out Best Choice Products Portable Hoop. The heavy-duty steel pole can be adjusted between 5.5 and 7 feet, making it perfect for kids and teens looking to up their game. All materials used are weather-resistant to survive a life outdoors (and the general wear and tear associated with rough-and-tumble play). The smaller 16” rim is perfect for kid-sized basketballs that fit better in still-growing hands.
- Height-adjustable to grow with younger players
- Large base with built-in oversized wheels for easy portability
- Weather-resistant materials including heavy-duty steel, polyethylene, and nylon
- Standard-sized basketballs won’t fit through the 16” diameter rim
- The height range is too short for adults looking to play by professional standards
4. SKLZ Pro Mini-Hoop
The most adjustable portable basketball hoop.
Brand: SKLZ | Height: 3-7ft | Backbaord: 33″ | Rim: 14.5″ | Price: 💰💰💰
While most of the hoops on our list are height-adjustable, the SKLZ Pro Mini has the widest range of 3 to 7 feet. This means you can transition from pool-side fun to a game with the younger kids to a game for the teens all from one inclusive package. The backboard is made from durable shatterproof polycarbonate material so you can get the transparency of a professional hoop without the fragility of glass.
- Includes a pro-grade breakaway rim for slamming monstrous dunks
- Durable 2.5” polycarbonate backboard is shatterproof and perfect for competitive games
- Can extend from 3.5 to 7 feet for optimized shooting
- Great for both indoor and outdoor use
- Spring-action breakaway rim for professional slam dunks
- Includes appropriately-sized basketball to suit the 14.5” rim
- Some reviewers noticed rust on metal components after a year or two outside
- The size of the rim and height range may be too small and short for some adults
5. Lifetime 90022 Youth Basketball Hoop
The best portable basketball hoop for youth.
Brand: Lifetime | Height: 5.5-7.5 ft | Backbaord: 32″ | Rim: 15″ | Price: 💰💰
Lifetime is at it again with their 90022 model Portable Youth Basketball Hoop. The 32” backboard on this baby features a professional-style black and red design and has a tapered shape to encourage better aim for those still learning to play. With the adjustable height, this hoop can grow with your players as they get older, and reaches a full 7.5 feet for real court-grade games. The fillable base only takes 10 gallons of water or sand, ensuring it stays in place but is still easy to move around as needed.
- Fade-resistant graphics and colors for years of enjoyment
- Weather-resistant materials with durable coating on metal to prevent rust and damage in outdoor conditions
- Built-in wheels on 10-gallon base make it easy to move around as needed, perfect transitioning between indoor and outdoor use
- Some reviewers found assembly to be confusing at best
- The smaller base may not support the weight of slam dunks
6. AugToy Adjustable Height Toddler Basketball Hoop
The best portable basketball hoop for toddlers.
Brand: AugToy | Height: 2.5-5.1 ft | Backbaord: N/A | Rim: 9″ | Price: 💰
When you’ve got a toddler who wants to get out on the court with the big leagues, AugToy has you covered with their Adjustable-Height Toddler Basketball Hoop. The shorter frame can be set between 2.5 to 5.1 feet high, perfect for kids aged 3 to 7. As a bonus, the easy adjustability means this hoop can grow with your toddler so they can play throughout their developmental years. The round base can be filled with sand or water for stability, but is lightweight enough that you can tote it from room to room and outside to wherever your kids are playing for the day.
- Comes with small basketball to fit the smaller 9” rim
- Easy to assemble and disassemble for storage purposes
- Backboard features pre-drilled holes for hanging on a wall or door
- The included small basketball is not puncture-resistant, and many reviewers chose to replace it
- The net sits on hooks rather than being fully attached to the rim, and some reviewers found it knocks off too easily and they have to put it back in place
7. SKLZ Pro Mini Over-Door Basketball Hoop
The best indoor portable basketball hoop.
Brand: SKLZ | Height: N/A | Backbaord: 18″ | Rim: 9″ | Price: 💰
While this list has so far been full of the best outdoor portable basketball hoops, what if you had a portable hoop you could install in any room of the house with ease? The SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop is just that. One of the best rated portable basketball hoops on the market, this backboard and rim system comes with the hardware needed to hook over the top of your door – any door! It features padding in all the right places to avoid scratching anything, and the hooks don’t need to be screwed in, so you don’t have to drill or permanently alter your home.
- Installs easily with over-door hooks
- Spring-action breakaway rim for actual slam dunks
- Shatter-resistant flexible transparent backboard for pro-style games
- Many reviewers found that the included ball deflates quickly, and chose to replace it
- The backboard bounces against the door when you hit it with a ball, which can get noisy
8. GoSports Splash Hoop PRO
The best portable basketball hoop for the pool.
Brand: GoSports | Height: 3 ft | Backbaord: 31″ | Rim: 14″ | Price: 💰💰
One of the best reasons to want a portable basketball hoop is so you can take it with you to the pool. The GoSports Splash Hoop PRO takes that concept and runs with it. This compact system is easy to transport and lightweight enough when the base is empty to carry from the car to the water. It sits at the perfect height for slam-dunking in the deep end, and features robust materials and a durable construction designed to withstand the hot summer sun and harsh pool chemicals.
- Sleek graphics with modern design
- Comes with two inflatable basketballs and a pump
- Sets up fast and easy with water-fillable base for stability
- The white parts of the graphics are paint that may chip over time
- The balls are not mold- or mildew-resistant and should not be left in water when not in use
For this guide on the best portable basketball hoops, our team spent 1.5 hours researching the most popular options from over 6 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about 45 user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each hoop. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 8 basketball hoops on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.