Science kits are one of the best ways to bring out curiosity in a young scientist. They can select an area of science they’re interested in and explore its parts first hand. Anything from chemistry to weather is available to them. This list contains the best science kits for kids in a variety of subjects. Our overall favorite is the stunning chemistry set from National Geographic, but there are several engaging science experiment kits here to choose from. Keep reading for a list of cool science kits for kids.
Our Top Picks:
|Best Overall: National Geographic Stunning Chemistry Set|
This science lab kit for kids comes with a variety of experiments from different scientific fields. It’s our overall top pick for the best science kit for kids.
|Runner-up Best: Thames & Kosmos First Science Laboratory Kit|
Here is a science kit known for its catering toward younger kids. It’s easy for youngsters to use and won the Parent’s Choice Gold Award.
|Best Budget: National Geographic Crystal Garden|
Our favorite science kit for those on a budget lets kids grow their own crystals. It’s easy, fun, and creates very little mess while resulting in a cool final product.
|Best for Beginners: Klever Kits Science Kit for Kids|
For kids and parents just starting out with at-home science experiments, this kit is a great place to begin. It’s easy to understand and produces exciting results.
|Best Splurge: Abacus Bill Nye’s VR Science Kit|
Learn about caves, oceans, volcanoes, and more through virtual reality with this science kit. It’s our pick for those looking to splurge on a science kit for kids.
|Best Biology Kit: Insect Lore Butterfly Garden Kit|
Watch baby caterpillars transform into beautiful butterflies with this butterfly garden kit. Kids can witness this amazing transformation right in their own home.
|Best Meteorology Kit: 4M Weather Science Kit|
Kids can learn about the weather through this mini observatory. They’ll explore all different kinds of weather and understand how it impacts their world.
A Closer Look: Best Science Kits for Kids
All of our top picks were chosen down to a science. Look into the DNA of our decisions below.
1. National Geographic Stunning Chemistry Set
The best science kit for kids overall
Brand: National Geographic | Type: General Science | Experiments: 45 Options | Equipment: 30+ Pieces Included | Price: 💰💰
This science kit from National Geographic is our overall top pick because it contains a range of different science experiments. Kids can do everything from building an underwater volcano to launching a homemade rocket. The kit comes with a total of 45 experiments that are clearly lined out in the instruction manual. All the equipment a budding scientist needs is in the kit, along with detailed instruction for how to conduct experiments at home with regular household items. It’s the perfect way for curious youngsters to learn about different areas of science and determine which they like best.
- Great for kids who want hands-on activities
- Gets kids excited about STEM and the natural world
- Teaches kids why things happen while they’re doing the experiments
- Most of the experiments can only be done one time
- Very messy, so make sure proper precautions are made
2. Thames & Kosmos First Science Laboratory Kit
The runner-up best science kit for kids
Brand: Thames & Kosmos | Type: General Science | Experiments: 10 Options | Equipment: 24 Pieces Included | Price: 💰💰💰
Not all science kits aren’t catered toward young kids, but this one is. It’s simple tools and easy-to-follow instructions make it doable for kids as young as 5 years old. A set of instructions is included specifically for parents to inform them how to best present the information and tools to their children. A magnifying glass, beakers, measuring cups, and more are all included to help make a young kid feel like a scientist. It will help them ignite that natural curiosity to explore the world around them. If you’re looking for a science kit for a younger kid, definitely consider this one.
- Comes with a durable plastic storage kit
- Double-sided cards come with instructions and information about the experiment
- Engaging enough to even entertain those outside of the recommended age range
- Pieces crack easily if dropped
- Most experiments can be done with things found around the house
3. National Geographic Crystal Garden
The best budget science kit for kids
Brand: National Geographic | Type: Crystal Science | Experiments: Only One | Equipment: Two Crystal Trees | Price: 💰
Crystals are cool in any setting, but they’re even better when grown in your own home. Kids who are interested in crystals, or simply want to try some experiments at home, will love growing their own crystal with this science kit. The instructions are easy to understand and the crystals grow relatively quickly. Reviewers loved that this kit is a short and educational way to spend some time when kids aren’t in school. This is our favorite pick for those on a budget. It costs less than $10 and fits within most budgets. It’s a cool and affordable way to get kids engaged with science and doing their own experiments.
- Makes little mess for a science experiment
- Crystals grow quickly for instant gratification
- Informational packet helps teach what is happening as you watch it
- Crystals are very fragile
- Most crystals grown don’t resemble picture on box
4. Klever Kits Science Kit for Kids
The best science kit for beginners
Brand: Klever Kits | Type: Chemistry | Experiments: 60 Options | Equipment: 20+ Pieces Included | Price: 💰💰💰
This kit comes with a pair of scientific goggles and a white lab jacket to help kids feel like a scientist while performing their experiments. An instruction manual with images to assist kids through unique and fun science tests using the beakers, color agents, measuring cups, and much more. Kids can use the ingredients included in the set to create different kinds of slime and other concoctions. Reviewers love this science kit as a gift. It’s a great way to get a child engaged with some scientific experiments while giving them a final product they can play with. This science kit is our favorite for those new to doing at-home science experiments.
- Kids feel like they’re conducting real experiments
- Most kids adore the jacket, name tag, and goggles
- Engaging experiments and activities that are very informational
- Most of the ingredients come from home
- Instructions don’t provide exact measurements for each step
5. Abacus Bill Nye’s VR Science Kit
The best splurge science kit for kids
Brand: Abacus | Type: VR General Science | Experiments: 30 Options | Equipment: 50 Pieces Included | Price: 💰💰💰💰
Bill Nye’s VR science kit takes a spin on common at-home science experiments by doing them through virtual reality. The set comes with a 80-page booklet filled with experiments and instructions on how to conduct them. Pictures become videos on the page using VR and allow kids to explore caves, volcanoes, and more. They can conduct their own experiments then watch then enter Bill Nye’s VR science lab to see more science in action. It’s the perfect way to get kids engaged with science through interactive lessons while at home.
- Extremely engaging for any age
- Hours of educational and exciting experiments for kids to try
- Fun way to combine science with the emerging popularity of VR
- VR glasses are not very high quality
- VR feature only used at the end of the lesson, not throughout
6. Insect Lore Butterfly Garden Kit
The best science plant kit for kids
Brand: Insect Lore | Type: Biology | Experiments: Only One | Equipment: 10 Pieces Included | Price: 💰💰
Take young scientists to explore living nature with this butterfly garden science kit. A mesh netting creates a small tent structure that kids can use to house the butterflies. The kit comes with five live caterpillars that will grow, form cocoons, and hatch in the butterfly garden. Kids are able to watch this incredible part of nature unfold right in their home. All the food the baby caterpillars need comes in the kit. A panel on the front of the habitat shows visuals of the four stages of metamorphosis, allowing kids to understand where their butterflies are in the process. Follow an easy set of instructions to watch little caterpillars transform into beautiful butterflies.
- Little caterpillars start changing very quickly
- Incredible to watch the transformation of these creatures
- Hands-on experiment that helps teach all about biology and life cycles
- Must pay close attention and make sure they’re getting fed
- Cannot order caterpillars in extreme cold or heat, they likely won’t survive
7. 4M Weather Science Kit
The best weather science kit for kids
Brand: 4M | Type: Meteorology | Experiments: 6 Options | Equipment: 20+ Pieces Included | Price: 💰💰💰
Bring weather indoors to examination with this weather science kit from 4M. Budding scientists can experiment with static electricity that creates lightning, build a desktop water cycle, model, and much more. The detailed instructions inform kids how and why these different feats of weather happen. It also teaches them about the impacts of climate change, recycling, and alternative energy through engaging experiments. Reviewers love that this science kit is reusable and you just need a few additional common household items to conduct these excellent experiments.
- Ongoing experiments that can last several weeks
- Makes a great gift for kids interested in science and weather
- Brings both environmental awareness and STEM skills in one package
- Made from plastic
- Check the “supply from home” list to make sure you have all the supplies needed
Whether you’re looking for the best weather science kit or the best science kit for kids, choosing a kit from this list guarantees a fun and engaging learning experience for young scientists. These kits are the perfect way to invite kids to learn about the world around them.
For this guide on the best science kits for kids, our team spent 1.5 hours researching the most popular options from over 20 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about one hundred user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each science kit for kids. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 7 science kits for kids on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.