Dogs love to chew. It’s ingrained in them, a primal, ancient need to gnaw and shred. It’s how puppies play and interact with their pack. However, our fur babies are not wolves in the wild, and chewing on any old thing won’t do. The best dog chew toys provide enrichment, stimulation and work as a deterrent so that your pup doesn’t chew on something forbidden. Puppies require a chew toy that they cannot swallow or break into bits, and big dogs need something they can sink their teeth into without chipping a tooth.
If you know what to look for, choosing the best chew toy for your dog isn’t too tricky. A chew toy must be big enough that your pup can’t swallow it, the chew toy can’t break into pieces, or if it does, the pieces must be large enough that the dog cannot swallow them either. Furthermore, when you press your finger into the toy, it needs to have some give. Otherwise, it’s too firm and could fracture your dog’s teeth.
Rawhide chews, bones, and antlers (even synthetic ones!) are verboten by veterinarians because they can splinter, chip a tooth, or get stuck. The best dog chew toy can provide hours of fun while promoting oral health and mental stimulation.
Our Top Picks: Best Dog Chew Toys
We’ve found the ten best dog chew toys and broke them into distinct categories so you can decide which is ideal for your pup.
- Best Overall: KONG Classic Dog Toy. The KONG Classic comes in various sizes and durability levels, making it the most versatile dog chew toy currently on the market.
- Best for Puppies: Ethical Pet Puppy Pacifier. Not only will your puppy look adorable playing with it, but this squeaky chewy pacifier is also perfect for teething puppies.
- Best for Little Dogs: West Paw Qwizl Puzzle Chew Toy. Stuff this little dog chew toy with treats and watch your small breed have hours of fun!
- Best for Aggressive Chewers: GoughNuts Stick Dog Toy MaXX. Inspired by police dogs, this chew toy features a bright red core to indicate when it’s time to replace the toy.
- Best for Big Dogs: Nylabone DuraChew Barbell, Peanut Butter. This tasty chew toy will keep your large and giant breeds occupied for hours and is designed to last.
- Best Dental Chew Toy: Benebone Bacon Flavored Dental Chew Toy. Made in the USA and tastes like bacon! It comes in small and large and is great for breaking up dental tartar and promoting gum health.
- Best Refillable: Starmark Treat Dispensing Bob-A-Lot Toy. This stylish dog chew toy works like a weeble-wobble and will entertain your pup as it dispenses treats.
- Best Natural: Top Dog Sweet Potato on Hemp Rope Dog Chew Toy. This latex-free natural dog chew toy features a hemp rope and non-GMO sweet potato.
- Best Tugging Rope: Mammoth Cotton Blend 5 Knot Rope Toy. The durable cotton blend rope is perfect for tugging and chewing.
- Best Squeaky Toy: Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Squeak Ball Chew Toy. This BPA and phthalate-free squeaky ball is durable enough for moderate to tough chewers.
1. KONG Classic Dog Toy
The best dog chew toy overall
Brand: KONG | Lifestage: Adult | Material: Rubber | Sizes: 6 | Price: 💰💰
The KONG Classic Dog Toy is the reigning best dog chew toy on the market for good reason: these toys last! Even the most aggressive chewer can’t tear these treat fillable toys apart. KONG constructed this toy from natural rubber with a unique design that creates an erratic bounce pattern. Your dog will find enrichment for hours! Add some treats in the mix for even more enjoyment and stimulation. These chew toys are dishwasher safe, so you can load them up with treats and even freeze them in the summer to make a pupsicle. Veterinarians across the world recommend Kong Classic Dog Toys, and so do we!
- Works great to relieve separation anxiety
- Durable and long-lasting even for tough chewers
- Great to use for positive reinforcement and treat delivery
- Some dogs were able to chew through the rubber in as little as a few hours
- Check the measurements before buying; they seem to run smaller than expected
2. Ethical Pet Puppy Pacifier
The best chew toy for puppies
Brand: Ethical Pet | Lifestage: Puppy | Material: Latex | Sizes: 1 | Price: 💰
Hands down the cutest puppy toy! Your new little fur baby will pop this into their mouth for hours of chewing fun. Made of natural rubber, the Ethical Pet puppy chew toy is four inches long and ideal for puppies and small breeds. Firm but pliable latex will feel good on your puppy’s teeth and gums, especially while teething. The ring handle gives you the ability to play a game of gentle tug-of-war with your puppy. Please do not leave your puppy unattended while they play with toys!
- Soft enough for puppies to chew on
- Fun squeaker is entertaining for puppies
- Affordability; buy several to keep your puppy occupied
- Not for tough chewers
- Thin latex may not last long with a fervent chewer
3. West Paw Qwizl Puzzle Chew Toy
The best chew toy for little dogs
Brand: West Paw | Lifestage: Adult | Material: Thermoplastic Elastomer | Sizes: 2 | Price: 💰💰
The West Paw Qwizl Puzzle Chew Toy is made for little dogs who love to sink their teeth in and have a good time! This puzzle dog chew toy will keep your small breed entertained for hours. Fill the center with dental sticks for even more beneficial fun! The colorful dog chew toy is made of thermoplastic elastomer and features openings for your little pup to chew for treats. When empty, the puzzle chew toy is perfect for a game of fetch.
- Durable and doesn’t make noise
- Perfect toy for treat motivated dogs
- Great when paired with a bully stick or other stick-type treats for an added challenge
- Not ideal for intense chewers
- Not all types of stick treats will fit into the chew toy
4. GoughNuts Stick Dog Toy MaXX
The best dog chew toys for aggressive chewers
Brand: GoughNuts | Lifestage: Adult | Material: Rubber | Sizes: 2 | Price: 💰💰💰
Police dogs inspired the baton-style chew toy! Made of durable black rubber with a red rubber core; your pup can safely gnaw on this dog chew toy for aggressive chewers. Its red rubber core indicates that it’s time to throw the toy away so that your dog doesn’t end up chewing and ingesting small pieces that could cause an obstruction. Not only is it a great chew toy, but it’s perfect for fetch, tug, and even for water play. That’s right. This tough chew toy floats too!
- It is durable and withstands even power chewers
- Worth every penny; this premium toy is worth the premium price
- The toy’s diameter makes it difficult for dogs to put their entire mouth around it, which will give the toy more longevity since it’s harder to destroy
- May not be exciting enough for some dogs
- Strong rubber odor that does not seem to wane over time
5. Nylabone DuraChew Barbell, Peanut Butter
The best dog chew toy for big dogs
Brand: Nylabone | Lifestage: Adult | Material: Nylon | Sizes: 1 | Price: 💰💰
Nylabone is a brand big dog owners trust! This tasty dog chew toy is peanut butter flavored and is designed for easy handling by your dog. Raised bristles promote oral health and will help keep your dog’s breath fresh and teeth clean. The Nylabone DuraChew Barbell is made in the USA of nylon and allergen-free artificial peanut butter flavor, making it safe even in homes with a peanut allergy.
- Dogs love the peanut butter flavor
- Long-lasting even for super chewers
- Great toy to redirect your chewer so that they don’t chew on your stuff
- Might be too hard for some chewers
- Too heavy for some dogs to carry around
6. Benebone Bacon Flavored Dental Chew Toy
The best dog dental chew toy
Brand: Benebone | Lifestage: Adult | Material: Nylon | Sizes: 3 | Price: 💰💰
Who doesn’t love bacon? Your dog will go crazy for the best dog dental chew toy on this list. The bacon-flavored toy is made of durable nylon. Benebone designed this toy to be ergonomic and easy for your dog to grasp for hours of chewing fun. Each time your dog gnaws on the dog chew toy, it helps break up the plaque on their teeth, which is ideal for their overall oral health. Keeping your dog’s teeth clean also helps with their breath! Only puppy breath is cute, not stinky dog breath, so supplying your dog with a breath-freshening chew toy benefits both you and your dog.
- Great taste
- Durable and seemingly indestructible
- Engaging enough for long-lasting play
- Risk of getting it stuck in-between jaws
- Some dogs were able to destroy the toy/break off large pieces
7. Starmark Treat Dispensing Bob-A-Lot Toy
The best refillable dog chew toy
Brand: Starmark | Lifestage: Adult | Material: Plastic | Sizes: 2 | Price: 💰💰
Dog toys don’t have to have crazy colors, squeakers, and other bells and whistles in order to be entertaining to your pup. The Starmark Treat Dispensing Bob-A-Lot Toy is a fun weeble-wobble enrichment toy that you can fill with your dog’s kibble or favorite treats. Customize the level of difficulty to give your dog a more significant challenge and provide mental stimulation. This dog chew toy is especially helpful for dogs who eat too fast; use the treat-dispensing toy to slow your pup down, so they don’t inhale their food.
- Seemingly indestructible
- Adjustable difficulty levels
- Makes picky eaters enjoy mealtimes by making it into a game
- May not be fun for dogs who aren’t very competitive or motivated
- Some dogs have figured out how to take the cap off, releasing the kibble
8. Top Dog Sweet Potato on Hemp Rope Dog Chew Toy
The best natural dog chew toy
Brand: Top Dog | Lifestage: Adult | Material: Hemp | Sizes: 2 | Price: 💰💰💰
Top Dog tested this tasty dog chew toy on humans! If it’s yummy enough for people, your dog is sure to love the Top Dog Sweet Potato on Hemp Rope Dog Chew Toy. The natural hemp rope is safe for your pup, and they will love the string of dehydrated sweet potato. Top Dog designed this dog chew toy to be edible and easily digestible. They also used organic sweet potatoes to create this enriching and yummy dog chew toy.
- Plant-based product
- Dogs love the sweet potato and will chew for hours
- Big bonus points for this natural, chemical-free chew toy
- It doesn’t last forever; it’s a combo chew toy/treat
- Caused diarrhea (sweet potatoes are high in fiber, so if you don’t want your dog to have diarrhea, don’t let them eat the entire chew in one sitting)
9. Mammoth Cotton Blend 5 Knot Rope Toy
The best tugging rope chew toy
Brand: Mammoth | Lifestage: Puppy & Adult | Material: Cotton | Sizes: 2 | Price: 💰
No dog chew toy is more pure and simple than the rope. This long, multi-knot rope is an excellent option for households with two or more dogs or if your dog enjoys playing tug of war with you! Mammoth’s rope toy is great for flossing your dog’s teeth while they play. Mammoth made the rope chew toy with 100% fibers, and no two ropes are alike. Once it begins to fray, you can cut the rope to remove the frayed ends to extend its longevity.
- Very affordable
- Great for large breeds
- Durable enough for super chewers
- Some dogs will tear it up in one session
- Not easy to choose the right size rope for your dog
10. Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Squeak Ball Chew Toy
The best squeaky dog chew toy
Brand: Planet Dog | Lifestage: Adult | Material: Thermoplastic Elastomer | Sizes: 1 | Price: 💰💰
Whether your dog loves to play fetch or loves to chew, the Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Squeak Ball Chew Toy will become a fast favorite for playtime. Planet Dog made this durable dog chew toy with BPA and phthalate-free materials in a latex-free facility in the USA. The most striking part about this ball is its squeaker; its patent-pending design uses no adhesives or rubber, making it even safer for tough play. This innovative squeaky ball chew toy has peppermint essential oils mixed into the materials for a subtle burst of mint every time your dog bites into the ball.
- Epic squeaker at its core
- Comes in fun, vibrant colors
- Withstanding tough play from power chewers
- Did not hold up to some mega power chewers
- Some customers received balls that didn’t squeak, or the squeaker was loose/defective
What to Look for in the Best Dog Chew Toys
When shopping for the best dog chew toy for your dog, there are a few essential things to consider.
You’ll need to think about: the size of your dog, how aggressive or relentless of a chewer they are, and whether or not the toy will keep them occupied long enough to make the purchase worth it..
If your dog loves peanut butter, peanut butter flavored dog chew toys are a great choice. If your dog is wild about tug-of-war, a rope chew toy would probably be well-received. Make sure you check the product for its intended size; some toys are made specifically for big dogs and might overwhelm your little guy, or the toy might be too small for your giant breed and could pose a choking hazard.
And as always, do not leave your dog alone with toys that can be torn apart or broken down as they can pose a risk to your pup. Remember, always supervise playtime.
Our reviewer has several years of veterinary experience and education and can speak intelligently on the topic of dog enrichment and play. Even so, we tested many toys on our own dogs, and from that experiment, we deduced which dog chew toys would be on our list. From there, we read hundreds of reviews (both positive and negative) from multiple sources in order to compare data and create our list of the top 10 best dog chew toys available for purchase.