Let’s be real — everyone uses toilet paper. So, why don’t we use it in a more environmentally-friendly way?
Believe it or not, it’s possible to keep your behind clean, while keeping trees in strong supply and protecting the environment. A handful of companies have figured out how to make toilet paper an eco-friendly and human-friendly product. Although it’s still a niche market, there are plenty of recycled and sustainable options to help you with your business.
What’s the best eco-friendly toilet paper, you ask?
Well, our personal favorite is the Premium Bamboo Toilet Paper from Who Gives a Crap (they do, apparently!). We love that they offer a subscription, have eco-friendly goals, and have fantastic reviews.
Our Top Picks: Best Eco-Friendly Toilet Paper
Short on time? Check out our quick list of the most eco-friendly toilet papers:
- Best Overall: Premium Bamboo Toilet Paper. Made from bamboo by Who Gives a Crap, this fan-favorite toilet paper treats the Earth (and your bum) well.
- Most Eco-Friendly: Organic Bamboo Toilet Paper. This eco-friendly toilet paper from Wholeroll doesn’t have a roll, and they plant a tree with every purchase!
- Best Budget: Organic Bamboo Toilet Paper Rolls. Hypoallergenic and chemical-free, this TP from Bim Bam Boo are of great value and quality.
- Best Plastic-Free: Premium Bamboo Toilet Paper. This eco-friendly toilet paper from Reel is biodegradable and has no plastic in the packaging.
- Best Recycled: 100% Recycled Toilet Paper. This TP from Who Gives a Crap comprises 100% recycled paper and books, so no trees are harmed by this product.
- Best Subscription: Bippy Bamboo Toilet Paper. One of the absolute best eco-friendly toilet paper delivery options on the market for those who want their TP to show up when they need it most!
- Best Splurge: Premium Bamboo Toilet Paper. Created by Tushy, this toilet paper is BPA-free. It comes with free shipping for recurring orders.
1. Premium Bamboo Toilet Paper
The best eco-friendly toilet paper overall
Brand: Who Gives a Crap | Core Material: Bamboo | Subscription Available: Yes | Price: 💰💰💰💰
These rolls from Who Gives a Crap come from 100% bamboo. They are safe for septic tanks and are also biodegradable. These rolls have 370 sheets each, so they should last you a long time. One of our favorite things about this brand is the charity. 50% of the profits from these help build toilets for those in need. One of the best aspects of this TP is that you can subscribe to receiving a certain amount of rolls on the regular, with delivery right to your door!
Some reviewers found these bamboo sheets a tad too rough for their liking. One found that the individual sheets were smaller than regular sheets. Most, however, loved this TP. They found it very soft, absorbent, and they loved the company’s eco-friendly mission. There were also some mentions of the company being easy to work with, which is a great sign.
- It helps save trees!
- It’s very absorbent and soft
- The company is easy to work with
- TP is too rough
- Individual sheets are smaller than average TP
2. Organic Bamboo Toilet Paper
The most eco-friendly toilet paper
Brand: Wholeroll | Core Material: Bamboo | Subscription Available: Nope | Price: 💰💰💰💰
Wholeroll’s eco-friendly toilet paper is unique because it does not go on a traditional toilet paper roll. Instead, it is in a 100% recyclable plastic container! This way, the bamboo TP is wound very tightly and stored more effectively to take up less space. Another thing we love about this product is that it is BPA-free, 100% organic, and 100% chemical-free. The coolest part about this company is that for every package of Wholeroll purchased, they plant a tree in an area affected by hurricanes. We love that the bamboo pulp is organic, and does not shed lint when used. And, as the icing on the cake, like many eco-friendly TP brands, they ship directly to your home.
Some buyers found the toilet paper too expensive to be something they would buy regularly. There were a few others who didn’t think the paper was soft enough for their preference. Despite this, most buyers thought their Wholeroll TP was plenty strong. It’s also worth noting that it didn’t give anyone with sensitive skin any irritation or rashes.
- TP is strong
- Doesn’t irritate sensitive skin
- The lack of harsh, irritating chemicals
- TP is not soft
- Too expensive to buy regularly
3. Organic Bamboo Toilet Paper Rolls
The best budget eco-friendly toilet paper
Brand: Bim Bam Boo | Core Material: bamboo| Subscription Available: Nope | Price: 💰💰
Bim Bam Boo’s makes their TP from organic bamboo, which is unbleached and fragrance-free. It is even hypoallergenic, so it is perfect for those with sensitive skin. Even better, it is sustainably sourced, and free from chemicals that are harmful to people. This biodegradable bamboo toilet paper is exceptionally strong, so you can use less with each use.
Although some didn’t approve of the quality and price of this TP, most loved it. Buyers mentioned it was very strong and exceptionally soft compared to other bamboo TP. They appreciated that it didn’t leave any pieces behind after use, and loved how eco-friendly the company is.
- TP is both strong and soft
- Love how eco-friendly it is
- Doesn’t leave any pieces of TP behind!
- It’s too expensive
- Not the highest-quality TP
4. Premium Bamboo Toilet Paper
The best plastic-free toilet paper
Brand: Reel | Core Material: Bamboo | Subscription Available: Yes | Price: 💰💰💰💰
This 100% bamboo toilet paper from Reel is an excellent, eco-friendly option. It is completely biodegradable, and there is zero plastic used in the packaging process. This package comes with 24 individually wrapped rolls, which are three-ply and BPA and dye-free. Reel is partnered with SOIL, an organization that helps provide toilets and eliminate human waste in Haiti to provide a safer, healthier way of life for the citizens. And, you can buy a subscription if you purchase from their website to receive TP regularly.
Although not everyone approved of the price of this eco-friendly toilet paper, overall, buyers were pleased. They loved how soft and sturdy it was to use, and especially enjoyed the delivery! However, there were a few who encountered issues with the delivery process.
- It is soft
- The doorstep delivery
- Sturdy and easy to use
- It is expensive
- Some had issues with delivery
5. 100% Recycled Toilet Paper
The best recycled toilet paper
Brand: Who Gives a Crap | Core Material: Recycled Paper | Subscription Available: Yes | Price: 💰💰
This biodegradable toilet paper is made from recycled books and paper and is safe for most septic tanks. It is three-ply and is soft as well as sturdy for all of your toilet paper preferences. It is free from inks, dyes, and scents, so sensitive people need not worry! These are jumbo rolls and have 400 sheets per roll, so they should last you a long time. You can subscribe to receive TP regularly on your own schedule, which we love. And, best of all, 50% of the company’s profits are donated to help build toilets for those in need.
Some buyers were dissatisfied with their purchases and mentioned the TP was too thin or disintegrated easily. However, the majority were quite pleased and found that the rolls lasted a long time compared to regular toilet paper. Buyers also loved how eco-friendly they were, and found the paper’s thickness and softness to be just right.
- Rolls last longer than average TP
- The company’s eco-friendly goals
- TP quality and thickness is perfect
- It’s too thin
- Not good-quality TP
6. Bippy Bamboo TP
The best eco-friendly toilet paper subscription
Brand: Bippy | Core Material: Bamboo | Subscription Available: Yes | Price: 💰💰💰
Bippy Bamboo toilet paper is another option for those interested in an eco-friendly toilet paper subscription. Bippy individually wraps rolls in colorful, plastic-free paper. It is made of bamboo, which they harvest from the plentiful wild bamboo in China. This TP is hypoallergenic for those with sensitive skin and is 100% biodegradable.
There were a few buyers who thought the toilet paper was too rough compared to regular TP; another mentioned that it wasn’t sturdy enough. However, the majority of buyers appreciated the plastic-free packaging and thought the rolls were very good quality. They also mentioned loving it as a subscription service compared to other brands.
- Good-quality product
- Plastic-free packaging
- Reliable subscription services
- TP is too rough
- Disintegrates easily
7. Premium Bamboo Toilet Paper
The best eco-friendly toilet paper splurge purchase
Brand: Tushy | Core Material: Bamboo | Subscription Available: Yes | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
Tushy’s product is an excellent eco-friendly toilet paper option. It is made from (you guessed it) bamboo, and is BPA free, along with zero dyes, bleach, or chemicals. Tushy works with septic tanks and is biodegradable. It is delivered directly to your door and is another subscription toilet paper, which even comes with free delivery for recurring orders.
Per usual, some buyers were dissatisfied with this toilet paper due to it not being as soft as name-brand TPs. This is also an expensive eco-friendly toilet paper, so keep your budget in mind when considering this option. Overall, buyers love how soft and absorbent these rolls are, and found them thick enough to get the job done. And, of course, everyone loves that it’s eco-friendly!
- It’s eco-friendly
- Super absorbent
- It’s substantially thick
- The high price
- Not as soft as regular TP
What to Look For
Bottom-line (no pun intended), you need toilet paper that will not irritate your skin! And, if you’re here, you want some that are good for the environment. Here are a few things to look out for on your quest for the best environmentally-friendly TP.
- Durability: No one wants weak toilet paper that tears or disintegrates as soon as you use it. Your TP should be sturdy, so always check the reviews to ensure that the overall consensus is that it is strong, high-quality TP.
- Materials: When it comes to any type of consumable product, you want to make sure that you aren’t introducing your body to any harmful ingredients. Just as important are the chemicals used to process your TP. Always check the materials list, and scope out the company’s website to dig around for info on how they produce their products.
- Sustainability: The majority of “eco-friendly” toilet paper products are sustainably sourced. However, you may want to do some digging around just to make sure. Some companies may seem very green and eco-friendly, but they are subsidiary companies of big-name brands that are anything but eco-friendly.
At the end of the day, it’s your body, and you get to choose what types of materials you want to expose it to. Just make sure to do your research, and you will find the perfect product for you!
For this guide on eco-friendly toilet paper, our team spent 5 hours researching the most popular options from over 15 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about sixty user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each toilet paper. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 7 eco-friendly toilet papers on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.