You’ve heard of back day, chest day, and maybe even abs day. But have you considered… hand day? As a matter of fact, tennis players, rock climbers, and just anyone looking to build grip and forearm strength all benefit from a good hand grip strengthener. In this ranking, we’ll showcase the best hand grip strengtheners in various categories, ranging from athletics to stress and anxiety relief.
If your goal is hands like Thanos’ fist in the Infinity Gauntlet, you’ve clicked the right link. Up next are the best grip trainers for your next workout.
Our Top Picks: Best Hand Grip Strengtheners
Choose any of these hand grip strengtheners, and nobody will accuse you of having tiny hands again.
- Best Overall: IronMind Captains of Crush Hand Gripper. How could a hand grip strengthener with a name like IronMind Captains of Crush Hand Gripper not end up at the top of our ranking?
- Best Budget: Luxon Hand Grip Strengthener. For muscley mitts at half the price, choose the Luxon hand grip strengthener — the most affordable product in our ranking.
- Best for Stress and Anxiety: The Friendly Swede Hand Grip Strength Trainer. To relieve stress and anxiety, choose the hand grip strength trainer therapy balls from The Friendly Swede.
- Best Finger Trainer: PROHANDS Gripmaster Pro Hand Exerciser. Go beyond the fist with the best choice for finger training: the Gripmaster Pro Hand Exerciser from PROHANDS.
- Best for Climbers: MummyFit Grip Strengthener. Rock climbing your passion? Get a better grip with the best grip strengthener for climbers, only from MummyFit.
- Best Exerciser: FitBeasts Hand Grip Strengthener. For many levels of resistance, choose the best adjustable hand grip strengthener kit from FitBeasts.
1. IronMind Captains of Crush Hand Gripper
The best hand grip strengthener overall
Brand: IronMind | Construction: Billet Aluminum and Alloy Steel | Resistance Levels: 60 lbs – 322.5 lbs | Adjustable: No | Price: 💰💰💰
Without a doubt, the best hand grip strengthener in our ranking is Captains of Crush hand gripper from IronMind. Made from billet aluminum and alloy steel, the Captains of Crush is an excellent choice for baseball players, golfers, climbers, and the like. We also like the knurled aircraft-grade aluminum handles and proprietary “GR8” springs for durability, accuracy, and precision.
This well-reviewed hand exerciser isn’t adjustable- that’s a drawback. But the product is available in 11 levels of resistance, topping out at 322.5 lbs — yeah, we couldn’t believe it either. What’s crucial is you can upgrade as your strength improves. We also like how the knurling helps with grip and allows for proper torque. The handles also feel a bit like the weight bar at the gym, which is great for those grip training for deadlifts.
Even on the low end, though, the Captain of Crush is for serious trainers only, so don’t underestimate the resistance levels. At 140 lbs, the “no. 1” is surprisingly difficult to close, even for experienced trainers. Beginners can start with the “guide” — a much more manageable 60 lbs. Don’t just take our word for it, though. One satisfied user commented: “These well-built little devices will help you turn that soft breeze of a handshake into a hurricane of power.”
- Ideal for pull-up training
- Recommended for baseball
- Will strengthen both grip and forearms
- No adjustability
- Bit squeaky — fixed with a little WD40
2. Luxon Hand Grip Strengthener
The best hand grip strengthener on a budget
Brand: Luxon | Construction: Rubber and Steel | Resistance Levels: 22 lbs – 110 lbs | Adjustable: Yes | Price: 💰
For a quality hand grip strengthener at a price that can’t be beat, look no further than the most affordable hand grip exerciser in our ranking from Luxon. Made from rubber and steel, this well-reviewed product is adjustable, offering resistance levels ranging from 22 lbs to 110 lbs — something for everyone. The springs are stainless steel, and you can toggle the resistance levels effortlessly with a dial.
Also setting Luxon apart is the non-slip handle, covered in soft, comfortable rubber. In addition to a hand workout, many drummers and golfers choose Luxon. In contrast, others use the product for arthritis relief or carpal tunnel syndrome. But although the tool will fit the hands of men, women, children, and the elderly — some with extra-large hands find it a bit too small.
Nevertheless, it fits comfortably in hands of most sizes, and many choose the Luxon to build up strength after a bad bone break like a fractured wrist.
- Smooth action
- Effective for pianists
- Doubles as a fidget implement
- Rubber on the handle can shed
- Though rare, springs have snapped
3. The Friendly Swede Hand Grip Strength Trainer
The best hand grip for stress and anxiety
Brand: The Friendly Swede | Material: Thermoplastic Rubber | Resistance Levels: 20 lbs – 40 lbs | Adjustable: No | Price: 💰💰
Real talk: hand exercisers aren’t just for strengthening your grip. Squeezing these puppies is also a great way to relieve stress and anxiety. To this end, we recommend the best grip trainer from The Friendly Swede.
Sold in packs of three, these thermoplastic rubber balls offer resistance up to 40 lbs. So ok, maybe your grip won’t develop at quite the rate it might with other exercisers, but they do fit neatly and discreetly in the palm of your hand. They’re just the thing to take the edge off your next stressful business meeting, or to help focus the mind during a long and boring lecture.
In addition, some turn to The Friendly Swede as a distraction tool to help quit smoking or to help relieve arthritis pain. None of that’s to say, though, that this product is just for anxiety relief. As far as exercise, we like how versatile the design is. It allows you to slip the ball between your fingers for some finger training, squeeze it in your fist, or slide between your thumb and palm.
Satisfied users liken the experience to squeezing a tennis or baseball, and for the price, they’re very well made. Is it difficult for doctors and nurses to find a vein and draw your blood? Try squeezing the Friendly Swede mid-procedure to solve this problem. In addition, they’re a perfect choice for fidgety kids.
- Roughly the size of an egg
- Suitable for stiff knuckle joint relief in the AM
- Useful to break habits like picking hangnails, cracking knuckles
- Lowest resistance too squishy for many
- Some with extra small hands find them too big
4. PROHANDS Gripmaster Pro Hand Exerciser
The best finger trainer
Brand: PROHANDS | Construction: ABS Plastic, Stainless Steel, and Santoprene | Resistance Levels: 7 lbs – 13 lbs | Adjustable: Yes | Price: 💰💰💰
Benefits of a hand grip strengthener extend beyond just your grip. Finger trainers build strength in those all-important digits, and finger training does more than give you strong fingers. It also improves range of motion and helps with pain relief.
Our pick for best finger trainer is the Gripmaster Pro from PROHANDS. What we liked about the Gripmaster Pro was the spring-loaded, finger-piston system, working each finger in isolation. Additionally, the Gripmaster Pro is sold in a range of models. On the low end there’s the VIA model, with resistance from 1lbs to 6 lbs. The top-of-the-line pro model goes from 5 lbs to 13 lbs.
Remember, those lower resistance levels are due to the fact this is primarily a finger strengthener. The Gripmaster, in fact, is popular with a lot of piano players for just this very reason. Though, that’s not to say that you won’t get a good grip and forearm workout with the Gripmaster.
Otherwise, the Gripmaster comprises of ABS plastic, stainless steel, and FDA-approved Santoprene. Each model comes in a variety of colors. It’s important to note that the same tension is applied to all five fingers, surprising for some who purchased from PROHANDS. Nevertheless, one satisfied customer called it the best exercise device they’ve used for hands and forearms.
- Good resistance for the entire hand
- Prescribed by occupational therapists
- Easy to use on a treadmill, or even while driving
- Gets a little squeaky over time
- Molded plastic screws rather than metal
5. MummyFit Grip Strengthener
The best hand grip strengthener for climbers
Brand: MummyFit | Construction: Thermoplastic Rubber, Nylon, and Steel | Resistance Levels: 55 lbs – 154 lbs | Adjustable: Yes | Price: 💰💰💰💰
If any athlete benefits from hand strengtheners, it’s rock climbers. Our pick for the best hand exerciser for climbers is the grip strengthener from MummyFit. Adjustable up to 154 lbs (with a low-end at 55 lbs), this product is thermoplastic rubber and nylon, with durable springs and an adjustable dial made from steel.
Nobody wants a hand grip strengthener that’s squeakier than an old mattress, so it’s also worth noting MummyFit is quiet — use it in class, on a plane, or in a business meeting without disturbing your neighbor.
Something else we love about the MummyFit strengthener is how it generates resistance. Most stretch the spring, but MummyFit creates it by compressing it. Though rare, this cuts down on dangerous, snapped springs. You also don’t have to unhook the spring to adjust tension, as you do with some other hand exercisers.
Those happy with MummyFit call the tension exact and say it’s easy to adjust. Some find the minimum setting still too hard, but others say don’t rush it and start slow to avoid forearm strain. Many agree the product is truly silent, and the innovative method of creating tension truly does make this well-built strengthening feel safer than other products. One satisfied customer was so pleased that he bought an extra one for his rock climber friend.
- Great grip width
- Used by physical and occupational therapists
- Ideal for forearms, which is good for climbers
- Grip could be “grippier” — too smooth
- The grip at lower weight too narrow for large hands
6. FitBeasts Hand Grip Strengthener
The best hand grip exerciser
Brand: FitBeasts | Construction: Thermoplastic Rubber and Steel | Resistance Levels: 22 lbs – 132 lbs | Adjustable: Yes | Price: 💰💰
An adjustable hand grip exerciser keeps up as you build strength. In our ranking, we recommend the FitBeasts as the best hand grip strengthener and adjustable hand exerciser. This well-reviewed product consists of thermoplastic rubber and steel, with resistance levels ranging from 22 lbs to 132 lbs. The handle is soft and ergonomic, suitable for men and women, as well as teens and seniors. Those rehabbing from arthritis, bone breaks, and carpal tunnel also use the product.
In addition to being easily adjustable, the FitBeasts strengthener comes in a kit with everything you need. Included in the kit is: a finger exerciser and stretcher, a resistance band, a grip ring, and a stress relief ball grip. AKA, everything you need in your hand, forearms, and wrist workout arsenal.
We also liked that this spring-loaded gripper offers both paper and online workout instructions with purchase. We were encouraged by reports these instructions are useful, as are the variety of goodies included with purchase — all stashed easily in a convenient carrying bag.
- Great price
- Simple adjustments
- Great strengthener, extra stuff just bonus
- Adjustments measured in metric
- Finger stretcher band challenging to fully stretch
Best Hand Grip Strengtheners 101
Still not convinced a hand grip strengthener is right for you? In our next section, we’ll fill you in on just a few reasons why you should add a hand workout to your routine, like, yesterday.
Benefits of Hand Grip Strengtheners
Despite what you might think, hand grip strengtheners actually work. Besides stronger paws, here are just a few benefits of adding hand exercise to your exercise regimen. Some of them might surprise you:
- Improved endurance and pain resistance
- Stronger wrists and forearms
- Stress, anxiety, anger relief, and smoking cessation
- Improved range of motion
How to Use a Hand Grip Strengthener
Now that you’ve selected the best hand exerciser, here’s how to get started:
- Adjust resistance (if you’re new to hand exercisers, start light)
- Put thumb on one side, index and middle on the other, and squeeze
- Turn gripper upside down, squeeze with pinky and ring finger only
- Alternate squeezing thumb and index with thumb and middle
- Squeeze with whole hand
- Turn gripper right-side-up and repeat
Do this 10 minutes a day, and you’ll be pleased with the results.
For this guide on hand grip strengtheners, our team spent 5 hours researching the most popular options from over 30 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about fifty user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each strengthener. Furthermore, after comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 6 hand grip strengtheners on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.