Having an in-home theater used to be a hallmark of the rich and famous. But nowadays, you have other options besides spending thousands on a massive television screen. You can bring the full movie experience to your living room or man cave with a quality projector and projector screen. This list of the best home theater projector screens will help you find the right screen for you. Armed with our best home theater projector screen reviews, you and your family can start enjoying box-office hits from home in no time.
If you’re in a hurry, here’s a quick overview:
Our Top Picks:
|Best Overall: Mdbebbron Anti-Crease|
This screen checks all the boxes: standard 120-inch size, versatile aspect ratio, wide viewing angle, anti-crease material, and a series of rivets for adjustable tension.
|Best Budget: Taotique 4K|
If you’re looking for a projector screen on a budget, check out this affordable model that has all the major requirements of any projector screen at under $25.
|Best Standing Screen: TaoTronics Standing Screen|
This screen stands all by itself thanks to the tripod frame and uses a triple-layer material for high-quality imaging.
|Best for Small Rooms: Elite Screens Manual Pull Down|
Working with limited space? This screen is smaller than average but still offers HD picture quality. It can even be pulled down at 2-inch increments for an even smaller screen size!
|Best 4K: Silver Ticket Products Ultra HD|
If image quality is what truly matters, then this Ultra HD screen made from authentic cinema-grade vinyl material is for you.
|Best Electric: Elite Screens Spectrum Motorized.|
Rather than tugging your screen down, why not enjoy the convenience of a motorized model? It operates with the touch of a button!
|Best Outdoor: VIVOHOME Inflatable|
For birthday parties, drive-in date nights, and other large gatherings, nothing beats this quiet, inflatable screen that will impress all your friends.
A Closer Look: Best Home Theater Projector Screens
1. Mdbebbron Anti-Crease Projection Screen
The best home theatre projector screen overall
Brand: Mdbebbron | Size: 120 Inches | Aspect Ratio: 16:9 | Viewing Angle: 160° | Price: 💰
We had never heard of Mdbebbron before looking into projector screens, but now we can’t get enough! This bargain-priced screen offers 120 inches of 101-gain, high-definition picture quality with the industry-standard 16:9 display ratio. Its anti-crease polyester construction is designed to minimize wrinkles, so your movies and video games are completely undisturbed. The screen is bordered with black lining and reinforced eyelets that can be used to mount it to the wall. It even comes with convenient wall hooks with sticky backs and two lengths of black rope, so you can mount however you prefer. In the (no-so-unlikely) event that your kids throw their popcorn at the screen, you can even toss the entire thing in the washing machine!
- Machine-washable in case of stains
- Extra-thick material minimizes transparency for both front and rear projection
- Anti-crease design can be folded up and transported without wrinkling the material
- The included adhesive hooks aren’t very strong or durable, and most reviewers recommend finding alternative mounting options
- The screen is a bit stretchy, and has to be pulled taut evenly via all rivet holes to maintain a flat picture (basically, it takes some trial-and-error to get it right)
2. Taotique 4K Movie Projector Screen
The best budget home theatre projector screen
Brand: Taotique | Size: 120 Inches | Aspect Ratio: 19:9 | Viewing Angle: 160° | Price: 💰
If you’re looking to bring the big screen home but aren’t looking to spend an arm and a leg, Taotique has you covered. Their 4K screen rings up at less than $25, but still has over a thousand 5-star reviews backing its quality. The thicker material is designed to minimize transparency, whether you prefer front or rear projection. Strategically-placed rivets around the sturdy border of the screen allow you to adjust tautness from all angles and maintain a perfectly-flat display surface.
- Super affordable without sacrificing quality
- Crease-resistant so you can fold it up for storage or transportation without getting it all wrinkly
- Material is machine-washable and mildew resistant so that you can enjoy your movies from the backyard too
- The included adhesive hooks may damage paint or wall finish
- As with the Mdbebbron, reviewers found getting the screen taut from every angle to be a challenge that requires some time and effort to get right
3. TaoTronics Projector Screen with Stand
The best standing home theatre projector screen
Brand: TaoTronics | Size: 100 Inches | Aspect Ratio: 16:9 | Viewing Angle: 160° | Price: 💰💰💰
Mounting your screen to the wall isn’t always an option – especially if you’re renting and not interested in putting dozens of holes in the wall! So if you’re looking for a projector screen that stands on its own, check out this beauty from TaoTronics. It’s a little smaller than the others we’ve featured so far, with 100 inches of screen, but it still offers a 160-degree viewing angle. The triple-layer construction uses a white PVC film layer to reflect light from your projector, a middle polyester layer to reduce transparency, and black backing for a sharper image.
- Fast and easy to set up and take down
- Triple-layer screen uses three different materials for optimal picture quality
- Comes with screen, tripod frame, and carry case for easy storage and transportation
- Some reviewers found the included tripod display to be “flimsy”
- Though everything packs away into the included carry case, it’s still very long, and may not fit in smaller cars for mobile adventures
4. Elite Screens Manual Pull Down Projector Screen
The best home theatre projector screen for small rooms
Brand: Elite Screens | Size: 100 Inches | Aspect Ratio: 16:9 | Viewing Angle: 180° | Price: 💰💰
If you’re working with limited real estate, you need a screen that will fit your smaller space. This manual pull-down screen from Elite Screens sits rolled away in its durable housing tube when not in use. But when it’s time to watch your favorite show or play your favorite game, all you need to do is pull down on the handle at the bottom. The screen auto-locks into position every 2 inches, so you can choose what size best suits your environment and intended use. Rather than a heavy metal bar to weigh the screen into place, this screen uses an aluminum bar. It accomplishes the same goal, but at half the weight!
- Auto-locking mechanism every 2 inches lets you choose your screen size
- Auto-retract reels screen back into housing slowly without you having to guide it
- The main housing includes multiple pre-drilled holes for compatibility with both ceiling and wall mounting
- Incompatible with short-throw projectors
- Many reviewers said their screen had a strong factory smell when it first arrived and recommended airing it out before setting it up
5. Silver Ticket 4K Ultra HD Ready
The best 4K home theatre projector screen
Brand: Silver Ticker Products | Size: 100 Inches | Aspect Ratio: 16:9 | Viewing Angle: 160° | Price: 💰💰💰
This screen is a little higher in price than the other screens we’ve featured, but trust us: it’s worth it. The stunning picture quality is on-par with screens 10x’s this price. It combines the industry-standard 1.1 gain with an innovative tension rod system and lightweight aluminum frame to keep creases and “waves” out of your image. In addition, the black velvet border on the screen helps to absorb stray projector light and improve your viewing experience. You can choose from multiple different screen colors like white, grey, high-contrast white, and even a woven acoustic material to suit your intended use.
- Fast and easy to put together and install
- Made of authentic movie-screen vinyl rather than the cheaper polyester of other screens for unparalleled image quality
- Contoured aluminum frame keeps screen taut without impacting image and features black velvet covering to minimize light distortion
- Setup and installation definitely requires a minimum of 2 people
- The included wall mount screws aren’t very durable, and most reviewers recommend replacing them
6. Elite Screens Spectrum Electric Motorized Projector Screen
The best electric home theatre projector screen
Brand: Elite Screens | Size: 100 Inches | Aspect Ratio: 4:3 | Viewing Angle: 180° | Price: 💰💰💰💰
Elite Screens makes our list again with their Spectrum Electric projector screen. Rather than pulling your screen manually, this screen retracts and extends with the press of a button. The durable screen housing is built to last and can be mounted to the wall or ceiling to suit your environment. On top of the convenience of motor power, this screen features 1.1 gain matte white material that offers full-color saturation, and even has an extra-wide viewing angle of 180 degrees.
- Gently raise and lower the screen with the touch of a button
- Versatile screen housing can be mounted to the wall or ceiling
- Same 1.1 gain material of other Elite Screens for optimal 180-degree picture quality
- Not compatible with short-throw projectors
- The frame doesn’t maintain tension as well as other models
7. VIVOHOME Inflatable Mega Movie Projector Screen
The best home theatre projector screen for the outdoors
Brand: VIVOHOME | Size: 14 Feet | Aspect Ratio: 16:9 | Viewing Angle: N/A | Price: 💰💰💰 – 💰💰💰💰
While a big, cartoonish projector screen might not suit the aesthetic of a refined home theater, it’s perfect for use outdoors! Whether you line up a drive-in style date night or want to watch the latest Disney movie out back with the kids, this massive screen is what you need. It comes in 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, and 24 feet sizes to suit pretty much any size crowd, and uses a quiet fan pump to stay inflated so it doesn’t drown out any dialogue. The projection surface secures the inflatable frame via adjustable buckles around the border so you can set the proper tension to get your screen nice and taut. After the show’s over, the screen detaches from the rest of the inflatable frame so you can store it carefully to minimize creasing.
- Metal accessories are durable enough for outdoor use and built to last
- Comes with carry case perfect for storage or transport to your next party
- Wide inflatable feet for reliable stability, with mounting hardware for stake reinforcement
- The viewing screen ships folded, which creates wrinkles that need to be stretched out before use to avoid distorted images
- Though the blower that keeps the screen inflated is pretty quiet when it comes to blowers, it still makes white noise that some viewers may find distracting
What to Look For
There are many things that go into making the best projector screen for home theater. Here are some factors to keep in mind as you shop:
Projector screens come in all shapes and sizes. But what is the best screen size for your home theater projector? The most popular sizes are in the 100 to 120-inch range. This size screen offers a good fit for most rooms, and is still big enough to provide an authentic cinematic experience.
But, when it comes to choosing the best screen for your home theater, you need to consider the height and width of the space you have available, as well as the viewing distance.
Don’t go too big on the screen if limited space in your home theater means you’re right up close to the picture. Make that mistake, and you’ll have to turn your head to take in different parts of the screen when a new character starts talking.
The aspect ratio you go for depends on the type of content you want to watch. Most screens have an aspect ratio of 16:9, which is ideal for watching a variety of content, including sports, video games, and TV shows.
But, if all you want to do is watch movies, it could be wise to go with a cinemascope aspect ratio of 2.40:1. This aspect ratio will ensure you get the best possible HD image for a true home theater experience.
The ‘gain’ measures the brightness of the image reflected back off of a projector screen’s surface. As such, gain indicates the reflectivity of the screen surface. The industry standard gain is 1.0, with higher gains such as 1.5 offering a brighter picture.
The downside is, higher gains provide a smaller viewing angle. If you’ve got a couple of massage chairs right in front of the screen, great. But anyone sitting outside of the optimum viewing area wouldn’t enjoy the same screen brightness.
The best gain for your home theater also depends on the amount of ambient light in the room, and the lumen level of your specific projector. As such, you need to consider audience configuration, your room’s lighting conditions, and your projector specifications to select the best gain for your needs.
For this guide on the best home theater projection screens, our team spent 2 hours researching the most popular options from over 30 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about sixty-five user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each home theater projection screen. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 7 home theater projection screens on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.