Wi-Fi lighting is one of the newest trends to hit the gadget market, and it’s changing the game when it comes to controlling the ambiance and visibility in our rooms. The best Wi-Fi light switches give you control over your lights from anywhere through the use of a free app. However, if you already use a smart home platform, it’s much more convenient to find a switch that will integrate with your current system.
Our list offers our top picks for each of the major platforms. Our overall favorite is the WeMo Wi-Fi Light Switch. In addition to being compatible with most of the major platforms (Alexa, HomeKit, Google Home, IFTTT), it offers a ton of customizable schedules, timers, and unique features that will give you greater control over your lighting.
Our Top Picks: The Best Wi-Fi Light Switches
Have you been searching for the best Wi-Fi enabled light switch? Let’s take a quick look at a few of the products we’re raving about.
|Best Overall: WeMo Wi-Fi Light Switch.|
This switch works with most of the major platforms and has plenty of customizable options to control your lights.
|Best Eco-Friendly: C by GE Smart Motion Sensor Wi-Fi Light Switch.|
A switch with a motion sensor and dimmer that can work in a single-pole or a three-way switch. It will work with Alexa and Google Home.
|Best Budget: TP-Link HS200 Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch.|
This switch offers many features for a small price tag and can integrate with Alexa and Google Home.
|Best Dimmer: Wemo Wi-Fi Smart Dimmer Switch.|
This dimmer switch works with most of the major platforms, and it will let you customize all kinds of settings.
|Best for Alexa: ecobee Switch+ Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch.|
This light switch has a built-in speaker that will give you a direct line to Alexa.
|Best for HomeKit: meross Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch. |
This switch has a fantastic reputation for its quality and its effortless HomeKit integration.
|Best for Google Home: Ankuoo NEO Wi-Fi Light Switch. |
This budget-friendly option has a lot of features and works with Google Home and Alexa.
1. WeMo Wi-Fi Light Switch
The best Wi-Fi light switch overall
Brand: WeMo | Works With: Alexa, HomeKit, Google Home, IFTTT | Motion Sensor: No | Dimmable: No | Price: 💰💰
Perfect for your next DIY home project, the WeMo Wi-Fi Light Switch is simple to install and easy to operate. With just a few clicks, you’ll be well on your way to a more efficient lighting plan.
Want to schedule your living room lights to turn on with the sunset or off with the sunrise? Done. Want to program the ceiling fan to turn on when the room reaches a certain degree? Need your porch light to shine right when curfew hits every weekend night? Done and Done. WeMo also integrates seamlessly with Amazon Alexa, so you can even command it with your voice.
- Being able to group multiple WeMo devices is convenient
- The automatic sunrise and sunset schedule is a nice feature
- Even if the internet crashes, the daily programs will continue to work
- Several reviewers complained about frequent issues with firmware updates
- Some reviewers had problems with these switches losing connection to the network
2. C by GE Smart Motion Sensor Wi-Fi Light Switch
The best eco-friendly Wi-Fi light switch
Brand: GE | Works With: Alexa, Google Home | Motion Sensor: Yes | Dimmable: Yes | Price: 💰💰💰
Aside from sensing motion, this light switch can register the amount of natural light in the room and turn your lights off when you don’t need them to save on energy use. You can ask your smart device to dim the lights by a certain percentage, control it remotely from anywhere, set up automatic schedules, or operate it the old fashioned way.
This model will work as both a single-pole light switch and a three-way light switch — remember to get two if you have a three-way light switch.
- It works with all kinds of bulbs
- Someone can operate these switches manually without messing up the automation
- The motion detector setting turns the lights on when we enter a room and off when we leave
- Several reviewers had issues with the app being tricky to operate
- You have to be at home to make automation changes because it requires Bluetooth to configure
3. TP-Link HS200 Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch
The best budget Wi-Fi light switch
Brand: TP-Link | Works With: Alexa, Google Home | Motion Sensor: No | Dimmable: No | Price: 💰
Just download a free app, and you can get started with the TP-Link HS200 Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch. It’s a straightforward and easy-to-use switch. One neat feature is its User Away mode, which can be programmed to turn lights on and off at different, randomized times to create the appearance that you’re at home when you’re away for an extended period, such as on vacation.
This is also one of the most budget-friendly models on the market, making it an excellent value for the buck.
- These switches don’t require a hub
- There’s a small light that makes it easy to find the switch in the dark
- The Kasa app lets you set schedules, routines, and scenes to work with other smart devices in your home
- It’s difficult to install more than one of these switches in the same gang box
- The toggle part of the switch is just for looks — you turn it on and off by pressing the lower part
4. Wemo Wi-Fi Smart Dimmer Switch
The best smart dimmer light switch
Brand: WeMo | Works With: Alexa, HomeKit, Google Home, IFTTT | Motion Sensor: No | Dimmable: Yes | Price: 💰💰
In addition to controlling and dimming your lights, this switch will let you set schedules and automatic timers. There’s an Away Mode setting that randomizes your lights to make it look like someone is home when you’re gone. And, if you dislike being blinded by bright lights, the Night Mode setting will turn on lights at a lower brightness level.
- You can set the default brightness
- Being able to set up rules for different circumstances and save them is handy
- After syncing the switch with other WeMo devices, you can long-press the single switch to turn off all the devices in the group
- Setting up rules in the app is a bit confusing
- Some reviewers had pairing and connection issues
5. ecobee Switch+ Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch
The best smart light switch for Alexa
Brand: ecobee | Works With: Alexa, HomeKit, Google Home, IFTTT | Motion Sensor: Yes | Dimmable: No | Price: 💰💰💰
If you want the best Wi-Fi light switch for Alexa, this is it. Yes, it technically works with most of the other major platforms as well. However, the built-in speaker will only work with Alexa, and that’s our favorite thing about this switch. Having the built-in speaker means that you can interact with Alexa directly through the switch. It also comes with motion detection, ambient light sensors, vacation mode, and a do not disturb mode that will keep your lights from turning on in the middle of the night.
- It takes up less space than the Echo Dot
- The switch can double as a night-light if you want
- It will play anything in your Amazon Music Library and any audiobooks available in your Audible Library
- You’ll need to speak louder than you do with the Echo Dot
- The scheduling capabilities are limited and not very customizable
6. meross Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch
The best smart light switch for HomeKit
Brand: meross | Works With: Alexa, HomeKit, Google Home, IFTTT | Motion Sensor: No | Dimmable: No | Price: 💰
If you’ve had difficulty finding the best Wi-Fi light switch for HomeKit, this switch is one of the best options available. It even comes with the Homekit code attached to the switch so you won’t have to worry about ever losing it. It lets you set schedules, create scenes with other meross smart devices, set automatic timers, and sync your lights to the sunrise and sunset. These switches also use a MediaTek chipset that is known for having a more extensive Wi-Fi connection range.
- Very easy to install and connect to HomeKit
- Works well for turning on the outside lights without having to go inside the house
- You can completely turn off the LED that shows the status to make it dark for sleeping
- The switch can only operate 400 watts maximum
- HomeKit remote control requires there to be a controlling device left on at home
7. Ankuoo NEO Wi-Fi Light Switch
The best smart light switch for Google Home
Brand: Ankuoo | Works With: Alexa, Google Home | Motion Sensor: No | Dimmable: No | Price: 💰
The Ankuoo NEO Wi-Fi Light Switch is sophisticated, surprisingly user-friendly, and likely the best Wi-Fi light switch for Google Home that you can find. Besides offering Wi-Fi control of your lighting system, it also includes multiple timers — a countdown timer, an anti-theft timer, and a convenient schedule timer.
The NEO Smart Switch product umbrella includes the NEO, NEO PRO, and NEO Light offerings. Regardless of how many NEO configurations you install in your home, the single, free NEO app can control all of your switches.
- The switch is protected against electrical surges
- The anti-theft-mode makes the house feel safer when on vacation
- The countdown timer setting helps make sure the lights don’t get left on
- It’s hard to fit in a standard switch box because it’s slightly oversized
- Several reviewers had issues with delays and getting this to work correctly with Alexa
Connected Lighting: Why Choose the Best Wi-Fi Light Switches?
When discussing connected lighting, it can be tricky to discern between the two main types: smart bulbs and smart switches.
Smart bulbs work just as they sound. They replace your traditional light bulbs and are controllable by your phone. While their installation is relatively more straightforward than smart switches, the challenge with smart bulbs lies in ensuring they’ll work with your existing fixtures. For example, a majority consist of A-shaped bulbs with E-shaped bases. If your lights require a different design (candelabra lights, for example), you won’t be able to use them.
On the other hand, Wi-Fi switches go straight to the source — your home’s electrical wiring. They typically control ceiling lights and ceiling fans (devices generally connected to an in-wall switch). Wi-Fi plugs work in a similar sense, in that they control devices that are typically plugged in, such as lamps.
By switching your traditional light switches and plugs for smart ones, you could realize a myriad of benefits. Here are a few of the advantages:
- The user-friendly controls are designed to work directly with your home’s Wi-Fi network.
- You can control when your lights come on and go off — even when you’re not at home — boosting your home’s security.
- You can monitor and conserve your energy use by programming the lights to come on only at certain parts of the day and for a set period of time.
- You’re able to maintain your existing lighting setup and design, as you can keep your current light bulbs (especially beneficial if you have custom or odd-shaped fixtures).
- Forget to turn the switch on when you left the house? No problem. Most Wi-Fi light switches will still run your scheduled lighting program, even if the switch is off.
While these are just some of the ways that the best Wi-Fi light switches and plugs can transform the lighting in your home, they serve to illustrate that even a small change can make a big difference in making your home more comfortable, safe, and secure.
For this guide on the best Wi-Fi light switches, our team spent 7 hours researching the most popular options from over 15 brands and manufacturers, big and small. We then read about one hundred user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each unit. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 7 Wi-Fi light switches on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.