You have great options when it comes to selecting a fillet knife. There are countless brands and products on the market that make choosing the perfect electric knife for your needs possible, if not somewhat daunting. Most people searching for the best electric knife for filleting fish are either seeking one that is cordless, ideal for taking it on the road, or powerful enough for all their catches. We’ve found the best products to fit each of these wants.
After evaluating several of the best electric fillet knives for their strength, durability, ease of use, and price, we’ve narrowed it down to the best on the market. In our overall top position is the electric knife from Cuisinart. However, keep reading for a complete list of the best knives from the leading filleting knife brands out there. With this information, you’ll be able to make a confident decision on the best electric fish fillet knife for you.
Looking for a non-motorized fillet knife? See our roundup here.
Our Top Picks: Best Electric Fillet Knives
What is the best electric fillet knife? Here’s the lineup:
- Best Overall: Cuisinart Electric Knife. Our top pick is a consistent favorite among reviewers for its power, durability, and fair price point. It’s a good option for seasoned fishers and those just getting started.
- Best Runner-Up: Rapala Heavy-Duty Electric Fillet Knife. In second place is a heavy-duty fillet knife from Rapala. The brand is known for consistently producing quality products that slice with ease and last a lifetime.
- Best Budget: Mr. Twister Gent’s Best Fish Knife. Affordable and powerful are two words that can describe Mr. Twister’s fish knife. It’s a perfect option for those seeking a solid fillet knife while maintaining a strict budget.
- Best for Travel: Bubba Li-Ion Cordless Electric Fillet Knife. Cordless knives lend themselves to simple transportation. That’s why this knife is our favorite pick for travel.
- Best Splurge: American Angler PRO Professional Grade Electric FIllet Knife. If you’re interested in filleting fish like a pro, check out this knife from American Angler. It’s our favorite pick for those less concerned with a budget.
- Best Rechargeable: Rapala Rechargeable Cordless Electric Fillet Knife. Quick and reliable recharge is crucial for a cordless electric fillet knife, especially when you’re on the go. Rapala once again offers a superb product.
- Best for Thin Cuts: Smith’s Lawaia Electric Fillet Knife. If you’re someone who prefers a thin cut, this electric knife from Smith’s is an option to consider. These small, flexible blades allow for thin cuts with ease.
- Best Multi-Purpose: Berkley Electric Fillet Fishing Knife. Our top multi-purpose blade comes from Berkley and is ideal for those needing a blade for both filleting fish, slicing meat, and more.
- Best Durable: Rapala Deluxe Electric Fillet Knife. Durability is the name of the game with this electric fillet knife from Rapala. It easily slices through all kinds of fish meat, skin, and bone.
1. Cuisinart Electric Knife
The best electric fillet knife overall
Brand: Cuisinart | Blades: Stainless Steel | Power: Corded | Dishwasher Safe: Yes | Price: 💰💰💰
Cuisinart’s product offers all the trappings of a fillet knife that make it a solid choice for anyone. It’s our overall top pick for the best electric fillet knife because it’s sturdy, reliable, and slices through fish with ease.
The serrated edge of the blade helps ensure a clean-cut, and a quick-touch on/off function makes it one of the easiest electric fillet knives on the market to use. It comes equipped with an ergonomic handle, offering a smooth transition between left, right, up, and down. It’s important to note that you should not sharpen these blades. If they have dulled, get a replacement blade. Avoid using them against bone, as this further decreases the effectiveness of the blade.
- Easy to clean
- Ability to produce “paper-thin” slices
- Simple to use, ideal for those new to slices fish fillets
- Must hold “on” button while in use
- Unstable and difficult blade storage
2. Rapala Heavy-Duty Electric Fillet Knife
The best electric fillet knife runner-up
Brand: Rapala | Blades: Stainless Steel | Power: Corded | Dishwasher Safe: Yes | Price: 💰💰💰
“Heavy duty” is the right description of this powerful electric fillet knife from Rapala. Its base holds a strong motor that supports a sturdy serrated blade as it slices through fish. Rapala’s boasts that its heavy-duty blades are up to three times as strong as competing electric fillet knives.
Unlike other motorized knives, this one is quiet. It comes with an 8-foot cord that allows for easy movement around the carving table and space. You can move freely, ensuring each slice is sized to your ideal standards. It comes highly recommended by most reviewers, who consider it to be the most powerful electric fillet knife they have ever encountered. It’s one of the best fillet knives that you can get for use at home.
- Ideal for those fishing regularly
- Reliable, holds up for fast cutting
- Blades can sharpen on diamond round file
- Motor gets hot while in use
- Knife is slightly tricky to remove from motor
3. Mr. Twister Gent’s Best Fish Knife
The best electric fillet knife on a budget
Brand: Mr. Twister | Blades: Stainless Steel | Power: Corded | Dishwasher Safe: No | Price: 💰💰
Being on a budget when selecting your electric fillet knife doesn’t mean sacrificing quality. You can introduce a fantastic low-budget fillet knife into your fishing and filleting arsenal with this fish knife from Mr. Twister. For 29 years, Mr. Twister has been manufacturing a fillet knife that continues to be a favorite among those regularly filleting fish.
The serrated blade smoothly slices through fish meat, consistently crafting perfect fillets. It comes with an extendable power cord that winds back into the body of the device for easy storage and use. A small but impactful characteristic from Mr. Twister is the blade’s safety feature. The user of the blade can rest assured that their fingers are safe. It’s also a more versatile blade than others on the market. This electric knife is excellent for filleting fish, but it is useful for other kinds of meat.
- Extremely affordable under $40
- Very quiet for such a fast motor
- Slices away the skin of the fish quickly
- Blade is difficult to hold when wet
- More challenging to maneuver hand when slicing
4. Bubba Li-Ion Cordless Electric Fillet Knife
The best electric fillet knife for travel
Brand: Bubba | Blades: Stainless Steel | Power: Cordless | Dishwasher Safe: No | Price: 💰💰💰💰
Corded blades don’t automatically lend themselves to being powerful. Likewise, if you’re looking for a fillet knife that you can take on the go that still bears the grit and strength of a corded knife, check this one out. While it does come in at a higher price point than some of the other blades on this list, the listing amount accurately reflects what you get.
The handle is curved and ridged for a solid grip through all conditions. The entire package comes with four blades, a lithium battery, and a charging cord. Charge it up before hitting the road for easy filleting without needing access to a power source. The set comes with a zippered storage case, which makes for easy storing of each blade. Remove the blade from its base for quick cleaning.
- Excellent battery life
- Comfortable to hold, easy to control
- Good warranty for malfunctions of the device
- Blades dull relatively fast
5. American Angler PRO Professional Grade Electric FIllet Knife
The best electric fillet knife splurge purchase
Brand: American Angler | Blades: Stainless Steel | Power: Corded | Dishwasher Safe: No | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
From small to large, no fish stands a chance against this powerful fillet knife from American Angler. If you’re working with a bigger budget and willing to splurge on one of the finest filleting knives out there, check out this one.
The set comes with a protective glove for your hand, five blades, and a sturdy case to hold all the pieces for the knife. Unlike other electric filleting knives on this list, this one from American Angler is professional-grade. This means you can purchase it trusting you’re getting the same quality knife as the pros would use. This PRO series motor ensures that bones don’t stand in your way — you can easily slice through skin, meat, and bones without worrying about damaging the blade. Reviewers note that the strength of this blade means it can cut through any kind or size of fish and more. You’ll get your money’s worth.
- Excellent for smooth and precise cuts
- Quickly works through large batches of fish
- Long, narrow blade for slicing fillets off the backbone
- Base gets really hot after prolonged use
- Somewhat challenging to insert and remove blades
6. Rapala Rechargeable Cordless Electric Fillet Knife
The best rechargeable electric fillet knife
Brand: American Angler | Blades: Stainless Steel | Power: Corded | Dishwasher Safe: No | Price: 💰💰💰💰
Finding a second electric fillet knife from Rapala on the list shouldn’t come as a surprise. This one is cordless, allowing easy use while traveling. The rechargeable battery sits in the base of the handle and easily removes for insertion into the charging pack. With a full charge, the battery can last for nearly four hours of use. The rubber grip lines the handle, so you can use it in any conditions and know you’ll have a sturdy hold.
Like most other Rapala products, this electric fillet knife comes with a powerful serrated blade that is equally strong and precise. Easily cut meat away from the bone and remove the skin with a blade that glides easily over the fillet. Rapala’s rechargeable cordless electric fillet knife is a reliable addition to your fishing gear.
- Quiet operation
- Battery holds a charge well
- Sharp blade that easily cuts through bones
- Sticky blade release button
- Power switch on handle is small and slightly awkward to use
7. Smith’s Lawaia Electric Fillet Knife
The best electric fillet knife for a thin cut
Brand: Smith’s | Blades: Stainless Steel | Power: Corded | Dishwasher Safe: Yes | Price: 💰💰
While sturdy and robust, thick blades won’t serve you well if you’re seeking a thin fillet cut. Smith’s Lawaia electric fillet knife comes with two blades, both of which are narrow and thin, ensuring a precise line with every cut. Each blade also comes with a cover. The entire package comes with a mesh carrying case for easy storing and transportation.
If you frequently find yourself caught with electric fillet knives that heat after much use, Smith’s blade could also be a suitable option to remedy this problem. This product has supreme airflow, which promises an easy hold and reliable power source with little risk of overheating. The product package also comes with a glove for your protection.
- Handle fits nicely in hands
- Easy to remove and insert blades
- Transports easily with mesh travel and storage bag
- Only an average-length cord
- Thin blades also mean that can be somewhat flimsy
8. Berkley Electric Fillet Fishing Knife
The best multi-purpose electric fillet knife
Brand: Berkley | Blades: Stainless Steel | Power: Corded | Dishwasher Safe: Yes | Price: 💰💰💰
As one of the ideal combinations of price and quality, Berkeley provides a knife that can meet multiple needs. It comes with three power options: 110-volt, 12-volt, or deluxe. All three can be perfectly suited to meet your needs.
Buttons on the side trigger an automatic shutoff if the main lever is realeased as an additional safety mechanism. The entire product comes with a nice, soft zippered case that helps safely store the knife’s base and blades. The largest complaint from reviewers deals with blade insertion and release. Several reviewers remark on their difficulty with the release button not allowing the blade to remove quickly. However, most reviewers still state that this electric fillet knife works as well as the rest with an average price point.
- Nice foam carrying case
- Comes with a car charging adapter
- Multiple rust-resistant stainless blades
- Replacement battery pack not available
- “On” button can sometime be hard to push
9. Rapala Deluxe Electric Fillet Knife
The best durable electric fillet knife
Brand: Rapala | Blades: Stainless Steel | Power: Cordless | Dishwasher Safe: Yes | Price: 💰💰💰
Depending on the kind of fish you’re planning to fillet, durability might be at the top of your priority list when selecting an electric fillet knife. Rapala’s deluxe fillet knife comes with all the power and stability required to cut through any fish meat or bone. Rest assured that your knife from Rapala will cut with ease.
The knife comes with a sturdy plastic carrying case and car charging adapter, making it usable at home or on the road without needing to be cordless. The 18-foot power cord on this device means you can stretch it to the length that most other blades must be cordless to do. Finally, like all-electric fillet knives from Rapala, this knife’s design allows for a steady airflow that keeps the motor cool and working to its full capacity.
- Quiet and long-lasting motor
- Excellent to speed up cleaning process
- Can easily use car battery to power knife
- Warranty not honored 30 days after purchase
- 12 volts of power is not enough for most users
What to Look for in the Best Electric Fillet Knives
With a list of the best electric fillet knives under your belt, let’s take a look at what you should consider choosing the knife that’s best suited for your needs.
The best electric knife for filleting fish can come with more than one blade. This is ideal if you’re planning on using your knife on more than one type of fish or meat. Having variety in your blade selection also allows you to better choose what kind of cut each of your fillets are.
Do you want thin fillets? Are you planning to cleanly slice meat off the spine? Would you rather have thick fillets? Each of these are factors to consider when making your selection. Keep in mind that most brands also offer additional blades sold separately from the central unit. Depending on your budget, this could also be a good option.
2. Cordless Vs. Corded
Where you’re planning to use your electric fillet knife is just as important as how. If you’ll primarily be using the knife at home or wherever you have access to a power outlet, a corded knife will still work just fine for your purposes. However, if you need an electric knife to take on the road, you’ll want a cordless one. Ideally, it also comes with a charger that can plug into your car or an external battery. Also, consider the battery’s lifespan in relation to how long you plan to be using the knife without access to a power source.
The overall lifespan of an electric fillet knife depends on several factors
How long does the motor or battery last? How tough are the blades? Can they consistently cut through bone without rapidly dulling? Does the base of the knife stand up to constant heavy use?
By reading reviews while taking your own plan for the knife into consideration, you can make an educated decision on your purchase. Keep in mind the availability of replacement parts and warranty.
For this guide on electric fillet knives, our team spent 4 hours researching the most popular options from over 25 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about three hundred user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each knife. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 9 electric fillet knives on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.