Finding the perfect gift can be difficult, especially for someone who already seems to have everything. Hikers (and all outdoorsy people, really) tend to collect the coolest new gadgets the minute they’re available, leaving you in the lurch when it comes to surprising them. But never fear! We’ve hunted down some of the best gifts for hikers and outdoor enthusiasts that they’ll absolutely love.
Our Top Picks: Best Gifts for Hikers
Here’s a quick look at the best gifts for hikers this year:
- Anker Rechargeable LED Flashlight. An ultra-bright flashlight that can illuminate things nearly two football fields away so they can always see what’s coming.
- S7 Cushioned Hiking Socks. A pair of comfortable hiking socks designed to reduce the impact on their heels to keep their feet from aching on those unforgiving trails.
- Kershaw Pocket Knife. A stainless-steel pocket knife with a belt clip so they’re prepared for whatever life throws their way.
- Mappinners National Parks Scratch-Off Print. A National Parks scratch-off poster so they can keep track of where they’ve been and where they want to go.
- Buff Multifunctional Headwear. A 3-in-1 headband that can hold their hair back, keep sweat from their eyes, or even be used as a face mask.
- America the Beautiful Pass. One year of free admission to over 2,000 federal recreation sites across the country for your friend and three other adults at any given visit!
1. Anker Rechargeable Bolder LC90 Flashlight
Every hiker (and arguably, every person in general) needs a flashlight, so why not get them the best and brightest?
Brand: Anker | Lumens: 900 | Beam: 1000 Feet | Modes: High, Medium, Low, Strobe, SOS | Price: 💰
First on our list of best gifts for hikers? The Anker Rechargeable Bolder LC90 Flashlight!
Don’t let the size of this small, hand-held flashlight fool you. With a 900-lumen output, a beam reaching up to 1,000 feet away, and five different beam modes, this powerhouse will dazzle even the most avid of flashlight enthusiasts. While other flashlights seem to need their batteries replaced after every single camping trip, this baby is equipped with a rechargeable 2250mAh battery. All you have to do is unscrew the back end and plug it into a micro-USB charger.
- SOS mode blinks for help in Morse code in case of emergency
- Long-lasting battery works for 6 consecutive hours (on Medium mode)
- Metal body is lightweight and made of water-resistant material rated to IP65 (which means it’s rated for use in extreme weather conditions, like pouring rain)
- Some reviewers disliked that, to charge the flashlight, you have to unscrew the handle
- Switching output requires cycling through all the modes, which can decimate your night vision
2. S7 Women’s Multi Performance Cushioned Hiking Socks
A hiking gear staple that often gets overlooked but couldn’t be more critical.
Brand: SEOULSTORY7 | Material: Cotton/Spandex/Polyester | Season: Midweight/Year-Round | Cut: Crew | Price: 💰
These classic multi-performance hiking socks come from the well-respected and widely-popular S7 brand. You can trust that they’re just as high-quality as other S7 gear. The heels of these comfortable, cushy socks have padding to help absorb the impact of walking, which in turn helps reduce aches and pains associated with a long day on your feet. They’re made of a cotton-poly blend that wicks away moisture (say good-bye to sweaty, stinky feet!), and feature all-around elasticity to make sure they stay firmly in place all day long (bye-bye, blisters!). This five-pack will keep their feet covered for a longer hiking trip, or make sure they have plenty of fun colors to choose from on their next day trip!
Check out the men’s version here! Or, read our entire list of the best hiking socks.
- Five-pack comes with multiple styles for a great price
- Padded heels reduce the impact on foot and associated aches
- Year-round mid-weight socks keep feet warm in colder weather without overheating in warmer weather
- The seam along the toes may cause chafing if not positioned correctly
- Some reviewers felt the ankle elastic was too tight and needed to be broken in before it was comfortable
3. Kershaw 1660Ken Onion Leek Stainless Steel Pocket Knife
An elevated, reliable model of the hiking gear staple to replace their beat-up, dull folding blade they’ve had for years.
Brand: Kershaw | Material: Stainless Steel | Blade Length: 3 Inches | Weight: 3.1 Ounces | Price: 💰💰
This American-made pocket knife is everything a folding knife should be. It’s by far one of the best gifts for hikers on the market. The blade is sharp on only one side to help reduce the risk of accidents but still comes to a point at the tip for finer knife work. A convenient built-in clip will let them secure the knife to their pocket, belt, or bag, so it’s always ready when they need it. Plus, the assisted opening system is ambidextrous, so it doesn’t matter if the hiker in your life is left- or right-handed.
Interested in seeing more folding knives? Check out the best folding knives of the year!
- Easy to open and close for both lefties and righties
- Serrations near the base of the blade for extra functionality
- Extremely sharp blade with excellent blade retention (which means it stays sharp longer)
- Handful of reports complaining of rust buildup over time
- When the clip is used to attach to a pocket, a lot of the knife still sticks up out of the pocket, so it’s not super discrete
4. Mappinners National Parks Scratch-Off Travel Print
This beautiful print is both a reminder of places they’ve been and a list of places they want to go – and it doubles beautiful wall décor, to boot.
Brand: Mappinners | Material: Premium Poster Paper | Size: 16” x 20” | Number of Parks: 62 | Price: 💰💰
While technical gear is always some of the best gifts for hikers, sometimes, you’re looking for something a bit more fun. Enter Mappinners, and their National Parks scratch-off poster! This glossy print includes 62 squares, each of which represents one of America’s National Parks (including the new White Sands National Park, established this year!). Scratch off the shiny gold foil to reveal an artistic rendition of something that the park has to offer. Your outdoor enthusiast will love revealing each new image and the visual representation of everywhere they’ve been and where they have yet to go!
- Minimalist design fits in with any décor
- Carefully packaged poster comes in a giftable tube
- The cap of the tube is designed to be used to scratch off the gold foil gently and easily
- Must purchase frame separately
- Many reviewers warned to only use the tube’s cap for scratching off any gold foil, as using coins or other materials may scratch the poster itself and mar the images
5. Buff Original Multifunctional Headwear
Ditch the knock-offs and go with the trusted Buff original, re-engineered with 4-way stretch from recycled materials.
Brand: Buff | Material: Recycled Polyester Microfiber | UPF Rating: 50 | Styles: 5 | Price: 💰
There’s nothing worse than sweat in your eyes, so maybe you could gift a headband. Hair in your eyes is also unpleasant, so you could also get them a hairband. And if it’s dusty out, they’ll also need something to cover their nose and mouth… Or, you could get them the Buff Original headwear, that’s all of those and more in one! The recycled microfiber material wicks away moisture to keep them cool and dry. Simultaneously, the 4-dimensional stretch ensures this band can be whatever it needs to be at any given moment. Plus, with UPF-50 protection built right in, you’ll be protecting their skin from harmful UV rays!
- Doubles as a mask for locations that require face coverings
- Breathable design made from recyclable materials to protect the environment
- Great for any season — keep the sweat out of your eyes in summer, keep your nose warm in winter
- The one-size-fits-all may be too big for smaller or more petite hikers
- Some reviewers noted the material had a strong industrial smell, recommend washing the band before use
6. America the Beautiful Pass
This one pass will cover the cost of admission to over 2,000 federal recreation sites, so your favorite hiker can go wherever their heart desires.
Brand: REI | Parks: 2,000+ | Admission: One Driver and All Passengers, or Up to Four Adults | Valid: For One Year From Month of Purchase | Price: 💰💰💰
For the hiker who wants to go everywhere and see everything, how about a pass to literally every single park in the country? As long as it’s managed by the Forest Service, National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, or the Army Corps of Engineers, it’s covered. By flashing this one-year pass, they can gain admission free to any of the over 2,000 recreation sites across the country. This includes all the National Parks! And this pass doesn’t just cover admission for them — it’s good for up to four adults at any given visit so that they can bring a friend! Like maybe the good friend who got them the pass?
Other Annual Passes or Trips
We should also mention that, like the America the Beautiful Pass, there are other passes you can get to different National Parks, local botanical gardens, and outdoor activities that any outdoor enthusiast will love. You could fund (or contribute to) a trip to the Grand Canyon, Mammoth Caves, Stone Mountain, Devil’s Tower, Yosemite Falls, the Redwood Forest…
And remember, while hiking, walking, kayaking, and camping, are certainly fun to do alone for some personal reflection time, most outdoorspeople would agree that it’s even better when spent with someone you love.
So while you’re buying that America the Beautiful Pass, or tickets to your state’s local botanical gardens, why not get two? Last year for Christmas, I bought my dad two passes to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens in Atlanta, Georgia. We spent the day together admiring the floral displays and towering trees. He loved it so much that this year, I’m giving him two passes to the Gainesville Botanical Gardens so that we can do it again!
- The pass can be in two different names
- REI donates 10% of sale proceeds to the National Park Foundation
- With the average park admission hovering around $30, the pass pays for itself with just three trips!
- Some state and local parks may not be covered by the pass, so be sure the giftee knows to call ahead and double check
- Some reviewers disliked that the pass is a physical card you have to bring with you (though most parks will honor a digital receipt if you lose or forget the card)
Best Gifts for Hikers: Honorable Mentions
Here are some honorable mentions that didn’t quite make the top list of best gifts for hikers.
- This Sea to Summit Big River Dry Bag keeps supplies safe and dry from the elements and occasional spilled water bottle. Not the right model? Check out our complete list of Best Dry Bags.
- This Swiss Safe Fire Starter ensures a heat source is always available. Plus, it doubles as a compass and a whistle and comes with some versatile paracord!
- The credit card-sized Wallet Ninja Pocket Multitool with 18 different tools so they can bring the capabilities of their toolbox anywhere they can bring their wallet.
- These Becharming Portable Solar Panels that fold up to just a little bigger than their smartphone, so they have a power source as reliable as the sun.
- The Lost Art of Reading Nature’s Signs by Tristan Gooley, an excellent old-fashioned nature guide. It will teach them to predict the weather, locate water, track animals, and find their way in the wilderness.
- A Pocket Game of Farkle so they can bring something fun to do that won’t weigh down their backpack.