While kayaking by itself is already a widespread hobby, kayak fishing is rising alongside it in popularity. Whether you’re an on-shore angler looking to switch things up or just a kayak enthusiast looking to try something new, we’ve compiled a list of this year’s best kayaks for ocean fishing, so you can be sure to find the best vessel for you.
Our Top Picks: Best Ocean Fishing Kayaks
If you’re pressed for time, here’s a quick overview:
- Best Overall: Malibu Kayak Stealth 14. With a wide cockpit, plenty of onboard storage, live bait tank, and dual rod holders, the Stealth 14 is everything an ocean fishing kayak should be.
- Best Eco-Friendly: Eddyline Caribbean 14. Made of a patented Carbonlite 2000, these kayaks are 100% recyclable and made in a resource-responsible manufacturing process.
- Best Budget: Ocean Kayak Prowler 13. Kayaks are universally pretty expensive, especially ocean fishing kayaks. The Prowler 13 impressed us with its plethora of features and high quality at a more reasonable price.
- Best w/ Pedals: Hobie Mirage Outback. No matter what you may need your hands for, keep them free thanks to Hobie’s Kick-Up Fin technology.
- Best for Beginners: Malibu Kayaks X-Caliber. It rides smooth, it’s easy to maneuver, and it has all the storage and rod holders you could need, making it perfect for the novice ocean kayak fisher.
- Best for Advanced Kayakers: Ocean Kayak Trident 13. For the advanced kayaker, look no further than this storage-forward, comfort-focused vessel with unmatched stability and agility.
1. Malibu Kayaks Stealth 14 Fishing Kayak
The best ocean fishing kayak overall
Manufacturer: Malibu Kayaks | Weight: 85lbs | Capacity: 550lbs | Length: 14’ 4” | Price: 💰💰💰💰
Whether you’re facing off with shallow, rocky stretches, twisting rapids, choppy waves, or the cool calm of the open ocean, the Malibu Stealth 14 has you covered.
At over 14 feet long, you won’t want for space. The wide cockpit is spacious and ergonomically for optimal comfort during all-day outings, and with plenty of onboard storage options, you’ll have plenty of space for everything you need to spend a day on the water. The wide construction and hull shape make the kayak very stable, going so far as to support anglers who prefer to stand without the fear of tipping over. Despite this large size, the vessel is still pretty easy to navigate and track, saving you energy on paddling. Plus, the bow’s gator hatch can double as a seat.
What really makes the Stealth 14 stand out is Malibu Kayak’s patented live bait tank. Carry live bait with you for the best fishing results, and easily flush the tank out when you’re finished with the built-in plug. You can even cast out two lines thanks to dual mounted rod holders.
- Spacious with plenty of storage
- Center live bait well is any fisher’s dream
- Great stability, even over large, choppy waves
- The width makes turns slower
- The wide design means you might need a longer paddle than normal
2. Eddyline Caribbean 14 Angler Fishing Kayak
The best eco-friendly ocean fishing kayak
Manufacturer: Eddyline | Weight: 50lbs | Capacity: 350lbs | Length: 14’ | Price: 💰💰💰💰
Kayaking is one of the more environmentally-friendly water activities out there, since there’s no motor and all the propelling power comes from your arms. But Eddyline decided to take it one step further with their line of specially-crafted kayaks made from proprietary Carbonlite 2000.
A high-performance, co-extruded plastic laminate with a UV-resistant exterior, Carbonlite 2000 performs like fiberglass, with added qualities like abrasion resistance, impact resistance, dimensional stability, and reduced heat distortion, all at a lighter weight for optimal agility. What really makes this exceptional material stand out is that it is 100% recyclable. Eddyline also makes a point of maintaining an environmentally-responsible manufacturing process that recycles or repurposes any and all scrap plastic and generates little to no waste. The Caribbean 14 Angler has all the features you want in your ocean kayak with the eco-friendliness associated with this revolutionary technology.
- Excellent stability for easy ins, outs, and moving out on the water
- Proprietary Cloud 10 Seat offers unmatched comfort and support
- Incredibly lightweight design cuts easily through even the choppiest waters
- On the pricier end of the scale
- Lower max weight for 14 footer
3. Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler Sit-On-Top Kayak
The best ocean fishing kayak on a budget
Manufacturer: Ocean Kayak | Weight: 56lbs | Capacity: 325lbs | Length: 13’ 4” | Price: 💰💰
One of the most common ocean kayaks is the Prowler 13 Angler Sit-On-Top Fishing Kayak. Thanks to the polyethylene hull, you can enjoy maximum stability in any type of water, all without sacrificing agility. At only 28 inches wide, the narrow hull cuts smoothly through the water.
A watertight, oval hatch at the back with a click lock ensures your valuables are protected, while the various storage compartments mean plenty of space to bring everything you need for an all-day outing. The seat well is ergonomically molded for comfort and padded with for added support. Dual flush-mounted rod holders on either side of the kayak mean you can cast two lines at a time. With integrated, molded carrying handles and a lightweight construction of just 56 pounds, you can easily transport this watercraft over land.
- Tons of storage space
- Extremely stable even over ocean waves
- Very fast with less effort to quickly get where you want to be
- The seat cushion is relatively comfortable, but many reviewers recommended finding additional support
- Though our budget pick and the least expensive on our list, it’s still pretty pricey compared to non-ocean-faring kayaks
4. Hobie Mirage Outback Fishing Kayak
The best ocean fishing kayak with pedals
Manufacturer: Hobie | Weight: 85lbs | Capacity: 425lbs | Length: 12’ 9” | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
The Hobie Mirage Outback takes Hobie’s well-trusted pedal kayak design and brings it to the open ocean. While paddling is, of course, the bread and butter of kayaking, Hobie’s Kick-Up Fin technology allows you to pedal comfortably and propel the vessel through rough, uneven waves with ease, controlling direction with the retractable rudder. The hull is made of incredibly durable rotomolded polyethylene and shaped to cut through the water without rearing up or sinking below water level.
Incredible stability means you can even stand without fear of capsizing. The fully-adjustable seat allows you to find the most comfortable settings for you, with additional lumbar support to keep your spine upright. A range of storage options mean you don’t have to skimp on the gear you bring. There are even cupholders!
- Unbelievably stability, and you can even stand
- Comfortable seating with plenty of support all adjustable to suit your needs
- Super maneuverable and turns on a dime, even using the rudder and pedal system
- The most expensive kayak on our list
- The standard pedal size is a little small, so those with big feet may want to upgrade
5. Malibu Kayaks X-Caliber Fish and Dive Kayak
The best ocean fishing kayak for beginners
Manufacturer: Malibu Kayaks | Weight: 71lbs | Capacity: 400lbs | Length: 12’ 6” | Price: 💰💰
With four rod holders, two in the front and two in the back, you won’t want for fishing positions, and can cast as many lines out at once as you feel like. With multiple additional seating options, you can bring your child (or your fur baby!) out with you for a family day on the water. The maximum load of 625 pounds can easily handle you, your kid, and all the supplies you could possibly need, so don’t hesitate to bring even the kitchen sink!
Incredible stability and tracking mean you can get where you want, when you want, easily, and without getting wet. To top it all off, Malibu is so sure that they’ve created the best fishing kayak, that they are backing it with a limited lifetime warranty. For first-time ocean kayakers, or those new to ocean kayak fishing, this vessel is designed to take any and all hassle out of the day.
- Extra seating options are perfect for children or pets
- Lay-out is intuitive with plenty of easily-accessible storage space
- Semi-flat bottom is very stable without sacrificing maneuverability
- The seat isn’t all that comfortable and you may want to purchase some cushioning
- More advanced kayakers noted the durability of this boat isn’t as great as some other options
6. Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Foot Fishing Kayak
The best ocean fishing kayak for advanced kayakers
Manufacturer: Ocean Kayak | Weight: 79lbs | Capacity: 355lbs | Length: 13’ 6” | Price: 💰💰
For the seasoned ocean kayak fisher looking for a worthy sea-faring vessel, look no further than the Ocean Kayak Trident 13. With four flush mounted rod holders, an extra-long rear well for storage of tackle and other kayak fishing accessories, Support Track foot brace system for comfortable sitting, paddle holder and rod rest, and gunnel accessory tracks, you’ll have everything you need to enjoy your excursion, no matter how long you plan to be on the water.
Whether you wander into large bays, venture out on choppy waters, or need to wind your way through churning rapids, the Trident 13 can handle it all thanks to its superior stability and agility. Integrated carry handles ensure you can easily maneuver the kayak over land with or without assistance.
- Speeds through water with unmatched agility
- Rides surf and swells better than many other styles, making it a perfect fishing platform
- Doesn’t lose any capability even when loaded full with gear (scuba, treasure hunting, and fishing alike)
- The built-in paddle keeper works well, but may block access to some storage
- The scupper holes can’t be accessed or plugged without unbolting the seat, meaning the seat may get a little wet
What to Look for in the Best Ocean Fishing Kayaks
So what’s the best ocean kayak for fishing? That depends on you! Any new kayak will take some time to get used to, and may need some add-ons or accessories to fully suit your needs.
There are a few important factors you’ll want to consider before you commit to your new sea-faring vessel. Fishing rod holders, storage space, seat comfort, bow design, stability, agility, and rudders are all important factors to keep in mind as you peruse your options so you can get out on the ocean with confidence!
For this guide on ocean fishing kayaks, our team spent 2 hours researching the most popular options from over 25 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about fifty user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each kayak. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 6 ocean fishing kayaks on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.