A hot shower at the end of a long day is one of the best ways to relax. Rain shower heads make a significant upgrade to your self-care routine, bringing the luxury of a spa experience to your very own bathroom. There are thousands of shower heads to choose from, each with something different to offer. We’ve scoured the far corners of the internet to bring you this list of the best rain shower heads, so you can transform your mundane, everyday shower experience into favorite indulgence.
Our Top Picks
In a rush? No worries. Here’s the basics:
|Best Overall: SR SUN RISE.|
This square rain shower head offers optimal water pressure. It installs easily to your standard shower fixture for spa-level luxury without the hassle.
|Best Budget: NearMoon High Pressure.|
If you’re looking for luxury that won’t break the bank, check out this inexpensive shower head that doesn’t sacrifice quality in the name of a bargain.
|The Green” Pick: Hansgrohe Raindance.|
With patented AirPower technology, this rain shower head pumps air into your spray to conserve water without impacting your experience.
|Best High Pressure: SparkPod High Pressure.|
If you’re looking to upgrade your shower to a rain-filled oasis, but aren’t excited about the notorious lower water pressure, check out the high-pressure SparkPod!
|Best Ceiling Mounted: KOHLER Traditional.|
This traditional-style rain shower head comes in a range of finishes and mounts to your ceiling to bring you immersive rainfall from above.
|Best Handheld Combo: AILUKI Shower Combo.|
For all the benefits of a rain shower head with the added flexibility of a hose shower head, AILUKI brings you their shower head combo.
|Best Luxury: Lovedima LED.|
When it comes to the full spa experience, look no further than this 40-inch long, 20-inch wide rain shower head that mounts to your ceiling for a completely immersive experience, buoyed by temperature-sensitive LEDs that add subtle ambiance.
Best Rain Shower Heads: A Closer Look
Here we take a detailed look at our top rain shower head picks.
1. SR SUN Rise Rain Shower Head
The best rain shower head overall
Brand: SR SUN Rise | Size: 12 Inches | Gallons Per Minute: 1.8 | Connection: ½ Inch | Price: 💰💰
This square rain shower head, available in either 10, 12, and 16 inch sizes and four different finishes. It mounts to the wall without specialized tools, making it easy for a DIY project. In fact, this is one of the largest sizes available without a customized set-up in the bathroom. The nozzles, which are silicone gel, prevent limescale build-up, so they’re easy to wipe clean. The angle of the head can be adjusted as needed. Additionally, the thin body increases the water pressure of the shower head compared to other rain shower head systems.
- Adjustable angle for the perfect shower experience
- Silicone nozzles are easy to clean, prevent lime build-up, and are anti-clogging
- Made with ten layers of pleated chrome and SUS 304 stainless steel for long-lasting resistance to corrosion, rust, and degradation
- Some reviewers wished for a higher water pressure
- Not specifically designed to conserve water, and some reviewers warned to expect a rise in your water bill
2. NearMoon High-Pressure Shower Head
The best rain shower head for low pressure water and budgeting
Brand: NearMoon | Size: 6 Inches | Gallons Per Minute: 2.5 | Connection: ½ Inch | Price: 💰
Rain shower heads are notorious for being expensive. The fixtures themselves can cost an arm and a leg. Then you usually have to hire a professional to help install them. NearMoon laughs in the face of these troubles, however, thanks to their incredibly affordable rain shower head that takes a mere 5 minutes to install. This stainless-steel head is rust- and corrosion-resistant and offers a full 6 inches of gentle rainfall. The silicone nozzles prevent clogging and make cleaning a breeze. This is the best rain shower head to combat low pressure waterflow, and give you a nice high-pressure stream.
- 360-degree ball joint for endlessly adjustable angle
- Ultra-slim head creates high water pressure, even from low-pressure pipes
- Standard-sized connection for tool-free installation to most standard showers
- Water traveling through the thin head creates more noise than a standard shower
- Higher water output may increase monthly water bill or deplete smaller water heaters faster
3. Hansgrohe Raindance Downpour AIR
The best eco-friendly rain shower head
Brand: Hansgrohe | Size: 9 Inches | Gallons Per Minute: 2.5 | Connection: ½ Inch | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
Using Hansgrohe’s patented AirPower technology, the Raindance Downpour pumps air you’re your water to transform what would be a steady spray into individual droplets. This process is mimicked by many of the leading rain shower head manufacturers, but Hansgrohe pioneered and perfected the concept. Their proprietary system creates larger water droplets that feel like they’re covering more surface area when they hit your skin. This makes it feel like you’re getting more water than you actually are, which helps you maintain your shower expectations while conserving a valuable resource!
This 10-inch round shower head is available in chrome or brushed nickel to complement your existing bathroom decor.
- Perfect for homes with lower water pressure
- Flexible silicone nozzles prevent build-up and are easy to clean
- Designed for overhead mounting with 26-degree swivel to angle water direction
- One of the most expensive rain shower heads on this list
- Some reviewers noted the weight of the head required some reinforcing to secure it to their wall
4. SparkPod Shower Head – High-Pressure Rain
The best high pressure rain shower head
Brand: SparkPod | Size: 6.4 Inches | Gallons Per Minute: 1.8 | Connection: ½ Inch | Price: 💰
While rain shower heads are pretty universally appreciated for their luxurious benefits, one of the biggest complaints is that they don’t have enough water pressure. But the SparkPod puts these concerns to rest with their jet-stream water droplets that immerse you in a monsoon from the comfort of your home shower. The easy-to-clean silicone nozzles are recessed into the shower head itself, giving an overall more polished look.
- 360-degree ball joint to easily adjust spray angle
- Tool-free installation compatible with standard ½ inch pipes
- Jet-like water droplets make it the best high-pressure rain shower head
- The included water restrictor, while helpful at conserving water, dramatically reduces water pressure
- Without the water restrictor, the higher water volume may deplete smaller water heater tanks too quickly
5. KOHLER Traditional Round Rain Shower Head
The best ceiling mounted rain shower head
Brand: KOHLER | Size: 11 inches | Gallons Per Minute: 2.5 | Connection: N/A | Price: 💰💰💰💰
KOHLER is a well-known name in kitchen and bathroom fixtures, and their rain shower head is designed to bring their signature style to your shower. Patented Katalyst Spray Technology turns your shower into a drenching machine, while the optimized design creates a more uniform spray pattern that’s dense for higher pressure but still offers full coverage. This traditional rain shower head is round and has translucent silicone nozzles that resist build-up, and is available in a variety of finishes to suit your preference. While it can be wall-mounted, reviewers praise the luxury of mounting it on the ceiling. Choose from 2.0 or 2.5 gallons per minute flow rates, allowing you to customize your rain shower experience (particularly if you are used to high-pressure showers).
- 6 different finish options to suit any aesthetic
- All-metal build for long-lasting durability and corrosion resistance
- Included flow restrictor to conserve water and reduce pressure if desired
- Definitely on the expensive end of the spectrum
- Some received the shower head with visual defects that resulted in returns
6. AILUKI High-Pressure Shower Head
The best rain shower head and handheld combo
Brand: AILUKI | Size: 8 Inches (overhead), 4.5 Inches (handheld) | Gallons Per Minute: 2.5 | Connection: ½ inch | Price: 💰💰
One of the drawbacks of standard rain shower heads is that they don’t have a long hose, so you can’t pull it from the wall to, say, rinse off all that excess shaving cream from your legs. The AILUKI High-Pressure Showerhead/Handheld Shower Combo solves this problem by adding an additional handheld showerhead with a 5-foot hose, so you can reach just about anywhere. The main shower head is an 8-inch square for full coverage, and uses a 360-degree ball joint so you can easily adjust the angle. Plus, a second 180-degree joint allows you to adjust the height of the head to suit your preference. It also has 3 different modes, including power rain, power mist, and rain mist. The handheld shower head is 4.5 inches across and has 2 additional modes on top of the 3 of the main head: rain massage and pulsating massage.
- Dual adjustable joints for the perfect height and angle
- Stainless-steel construction is rust- and corrosion-resistant
- 5-foot stainless-steel handheld shower head hose for plenty of range
- Some reviewers disliked the wall mount for the handheld shower head
- The switch to toggle back and forth between the main shower head and the handheld one is on top of the main head, which may not be accessible to everyone
7. Lovedima LED Rain Shower Head
The best luxary rain shower head
Brand: Lovedima | Size: 40 Inches | Gallons Per Minute: 2.5 Inches | Connection: ½ Inch | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
If a true spa experience is the name of the game, then this 20″ x 40″ rectangular shower head is for you. The oversized downpour ensures you are completely ensconced in rainfall, making it one of the most luxurious rain shower heads on the market. The entire thing is made from stainless-steel and finished in a sleek brushed nickel, making it both durable and fashionable. But what really makes this shower head stand out (other than its size) is the built-in, temperature-sensitive LED lights. Once the water gets going, the lights turn on, and adjust their color depending on the heat of your shower. Dim your regular lights and enjoy a hands-free ambiance.
The nozzles are easy to clean to prevent mineral build-up that can impede water flow. This shower head is ceiling-mounted on four support poles, so you cannot adjust the angle. The shower head has two water inlets.
- Dual water inlets offer higher water pressure
- Silicone nozzles prevent build-up and are easy to clean
- Large size with built-in LEDs offers the full spa experience
- Not suitable for low-pressure homes
- Requires professional installation and mounts via 4 poles to the ceiling
What to Look For
Rain showerheads are one of the trendiest bathroom items these days. They’re an easy way to elevate your simple routine to a rejuvenating, refreshing spa experience in the comfort of your own home. Unlike traditional shower heads, rain shower heads mimic what it feels like to stand in the rain. Where most shower heads spray a continuous stream of water from each nozzle, a rain shower head intersperses the water with air, creating droplets instead of steady streams.
These rather simple fixtures often come with a range of features that can make a huge difference. To help you navigate these extras and decide what would work best for you, here are some things you should keep in mind as you look:
While traditional shower heads install easily to the pipe sticking out of your wall, rain shower heads are often designed to be installed hanging down from the ceiling. This better imitates rainfall, but can be a pain to mount.
While the bigger rain shower heads are the most immersive, they might not fit in your standard-sized shower/tub combo. Check out the dimensions, and if needed, consult a professional.
Rain shower heads are not known for a lot of water pressure. If you need extra water pressure, look for a shower head that provides jets or alternate spray options that can give you extra pressure along with your rain shower experience. The size and shape of the shower head can also contribute to the water flow, so this is something else to keep in mind in your shopping.
Connection Type and Fittings
Connection type refers to the size of the water pipe that you’ll attach your new shower head to. The standard size for this is ½ inch, but can vary. Some rain shower heads require wider pipes to accommodate the larger size of the shower head itself. Additionally, not all shower heads will come with all the fittings needed for installation. Read carefully so you know what you have and what you need before you start the installation process.
Hiring a Professional
Not all rain shower heads are easy to install. Depending on the type of shower head, its size, and how it works, you may need help with installation. Some shower heads will need larger pipes or ceiling fittings, which may require a professional plumber. It’s important to keep this in mind when you’re looking for your ideal rain shower head.
Benefits of the Best Rain Shower Head
Rain is considered by cultures all across the globe to be rejuvenating and cleansing. Science tells us that moving water does impact the negative ions in the air around us, which can improve our mood and mental health. Rain shower heads allow you to capitalize on the relaxing feeling of raindrops falling on you every time you step into your shower, which can help set a positive mood for the rest of the day.
For those with sensitive skin, the lower water pressure of rain shower heads may help reduce irritation. A rain shower head rinses the body more gently, which is less inflammatory for sensitive skin, while still leaving enough pressure to properly rinse off soap.