Robots are a new and exciting part of our future. Perhaps even more exciting is that kids and adults at home can build their own robot from a kit. Robot kits are fun and easy ways to create a robot that actually works. On this list we have the best robot kits for people of all ages. Whether you’re looking for the best robot kits for kids or the best robot kits for adults, you’ll find a kit here that meets that criteria. Our overall top pick is from Sillbird for its exceptionally affordable price and cool features that make it unique. Keep reading to find the perfect robot kit.
Our Top Picks
|Best Overall: Sillbird STEM 12-in-1 Education Solar Robot
Our overall top pick for the best robot kit has 12 different versions that kids can choose to build, each with their own level of difficulty.
|Runner-Up Best: Makeblock mBot Coding Robot Kit
The runner up robot kit is easy to assemble while teaching kids about electronics, robotics, and programming with more than 60 included games.
|Best Budget: 4M Tin Can Robot
If you’re looking for a simple and budget-friendly robot kit, look no further. This robot kit from 4M is fun and engaging for both kids and adults.
|Best Robot Kit: Giggleway Electric Motor Robotic Science Kit
This robot kit is our favorite option for kids. It’s simple design and compelling colors make it ideal for kids just getting started in robotics.
|Best Splurge: UBTECH JIMU Robot Astrobot Series
Our favorite splurge pick comes with all the features that make robotics at home fun and interesting. If you’re looking for a detailed and unique kit, try this one.
|Best for Creative Kids: LEGO Boost Creative Toolbox
Those who are already fans of LEGO will love this robot kit. It’s cool technology combined with the classic LEGO style we know and love.
|Best for Adults: ELEGOO UNO R3 Project Smart Robot
Adults and older kids will be interested in this robot made of top-notch quality and high-tech design. Users will enjoy the building and programming process.
|Best for Beginners: Thames & Kosmos Robotics: Smart Machine
The best robot kit for beginners comes with instructions that are easy to understand and creates a great final product while teaching about robotics and coding.
A Closer Look: Best Robot Kit for Kids & Adults
We’ve literally built up this list to best serve its function. Getting the best info to you. Read on below to see the schematics in full.
1. Sillbird STEM 12-in-1 Education Solar Robot
The best robot kit overall
Brand: Sillbird | Ages: 8-10 | Power: No Batteries Required, Solar Powered | Designs: 12 | Price: 💰💰💰💰
With 12 different robot designs to construct, this robot set from Sillbird is our overall favorite. Science, math, and engineering creative skills are enhanced with this unique robot build. Instead of using batteries to operate, it uses a solar panel on the top of the machine. Kids learn about building robots alongside how green renewable energy works. All the robot’s pieces are made from sturdy and non-toxic ABS plastic, ensuring kids will get plenty of use from this robot.
- Different levels of difficulty for each style of robot
- Plenty to do and there’s great customer service
- Instructions are very clear while still fostering creative thinking
- Solar power takes awhile to charge up
- Parts are very small, making them difficult to use in some steps
2. Makeblock mBot Coding Robot Kit
The runner-up best robot kit
Brand: Makeblock | Ages: 8+ | Power: 4 AA Batteries Required | Designs: 1 | Price: 💰💰💰
This robot kit is a great option for kids who are interested in learning the mechanics of robotics and programming. Kids can use the mBlock Blockly App to play more than 60 engaging and educational games that teach them how to code step by step. Assembling the robot is easy. There are few pieces in the kit, so kids only need a screwdriver and batteries to operate. The robot is made from 6061 high-strength Aluminum alloy metal materials, keeping the robot durable from start to finish.
- Excellent customer service to replace broken parts
- Great introduction to software design and logical thinking
- Parts are all manufactured well and at a much higher quality than the price might indicate
- Must disassemble to replace batteries
- Batteries must be purchased separately
3. 4M Tin Can Robot
The best budget robot kit
Brand: 4M | Ages: 8+ | Power: 1 AA Battery | Designs: 1 | Price: 💰💰
A common misconception is that most robot kits are too pricey for a lot of people. The 4M tin robot challenges this notion by creating a robot kit that is less than $10. All kids need is an empty soda can from home to build their robot. There are no special tools and the kit provides all the parts necessary for assembly. Kids can choose to create a silly robot or a monster robot. This is a simple yet engaging way to teach young scientists about robotics and inspire creativity. The biggest caveat from reviewers is that the can must be tin, aluminum cans won’t work.
- Amazing introduction to STEM that doesn’t break the bank
- Very affordable for a fun project and exciting final product
- Great learning experience for people who are new to building robots
- Instructions are somewhat difficult to follow
- Young kids will need help building this robot, made for older kids or adults
4. Giggleway Electric Motor Robotic Science Kit
The best robot kit for kids
Brand: Giggleway | Ages: 8-15 | Power: 5 AA Batteries Required | Designs: 3 | Price: 💰💰💰
Kids will adore this robot kit from Giggleway. It comes with three different models, each with their own unique characteristics and building process. All the parts are included in the set, kids only need to bring their creativity and problem solving skills. Build a robot that doodles, a reptile robot, or an electric balance car toy. The instructions are colorful and easy to digest with each page broken down into simple steps for kids to follow. Reviewers call this robot kit a great value for the price.
- Comes with a lot of spare parts
- Magnetic screwdriver is helpful when using small screws
- So fun to put together, kids couldn’t wait
- Very small size can make the robots difficult to assemble
- Some users had trouble getting the motors to work as expected
5. UBTECH JIMU Robot Astrobot Series
The best splurge robot kit
Brand: UBTECH | Ages: Teens and Adults | Power: 1 Lithium Polymer Battery (Included) | Designs: 1 | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
Our splurge pick comes with over 300 parts and connectors to create an impressive final robotic product. This is one of the more advanced robots on the list, making it one of the best robot kits for adults. Users can make their robot navigate obstacles, pick up objects, have a personality, and more. The set comes with a Blockly coding program to test your coding skills. There are no tools required to construct this robot, it comes with detailed instructions for how to properly assemble. It’s won multiple awards, purchasing this robot means getting a top-notch robot.
- Programs are intuitive to learn
- Nice way for kids to learn programming
- Perfect for those interested in a mid-level robot kit
- No paper instructions, must use digital instructions
- Complicated to put together, takes awhile to complete
6. LEGO Boost Creative Toolbox
The best robot kit for creative kids
Brand: LEGO | Ages: 7-12 | Power: 6 AAA Batteries Required | Designs: 5 | Price: 💰💰💰
If you have a child who loves LEGOS, this might be the best robot kit for them. It’s our favorite robot kit for beginners because it’s instructions are easy to follow and kids have a blast building with LEGOS. This robot kit won the 2018 Toy of the Year Award and continues to be a favorite. The set includes 847 LEGO pieces that can be combined to build 5 different robot models. Choose to build the dancing robot or a guitar or any of the other models. Download the app to learn icon-based coding and interact with activities built into the app. Reviewers feel that this robot kit is a great value for the number of models
- It’s LEGO, so the quality and instructions are perfect
- A lot of problem solving to make it an educational experience for kids
- Customer service is very helpful in providing “cheat sheets” if needed
- App only runs on Android 5.0 and higher
- Using the app and unlocking different levels can be difficult
7. ELEGOO UNO R3 Project Smart Robot
The best robot kit for adults
Brand: ELEGOO | Ages: 13+ | Power: 1 Lithium Poly Battery Required (Included) | Designs: 1 | Price: 💰💰💰💰
Build your own robotic car with this set from Elegoo. This set is ideal for older kids or adults. It comes with instructions and design that make it easy to assemble, but some coding is still required. Once assembled and programmed correctly, users can control the robot car remotely using a phone or tablet. The car operates on multiple modes like auto-go, infrared control, obstacle avoidance, and much more. It’s the perfect way for those curious about robotics to explore and learn the mechanics behind building these cool machines.
- Instructions are well design and easy to follow
- Parts are very high quality and go together well
- Even after a tumble down stairs, customer service will provide needed replacements
- Difficult to control robot’s movement
- Bluetooth connectivity isn’t strong, pairing can be slow and unreliable
8. Thames & Kosmos Robotics: Smart Machine
The best robot kit for beginners
Brand: Thames & Kosmos | Ages: 8-14 | Power: 3 AA Batteries Required | Designs: 8 | Price: 💰💰💰
Those just starting out experimenting with robotics, Thames & Kosmos has the perfect robot kit for beginners. It comes with 8 different designs, so young robot builders can play and experiment with several robot models. The kit comes with a free coding app that kids use to determine how the robots act based on feedback from an ultrasound sensor. A heavily-detailed instruction booklet walks kids through how to construct each robot along with information about why each step in the process is necessary. It instructs them about robotics in the real world so they can understand how it’s being applied in their robot project. From it’s learning capabilities to the intuitive design, this robot kit is great for beginners.
- Kids learn a lot during and building process
- A deep and early diving into the engineering side of robotics
- Materials are well made and durable for constant rebuilding and use
- Requires a tablet or smartphone to operate
- Some reviewers struggled with using the app to operate the robots
The best robot kits introduce kids to the world of robotics and coding if a fun and engaging way. The ones on this list range from kits that are great for all ages and skill levels. If you or someone you know if intersted in robotics, choosing one of these kits is a great place to start.
For this guide on the best robot kit for kids & adults, our team spent 1.5 hours researching the most popular options from over 20 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about one hundred and thirty user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each robot kit. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 8 robot kits on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.