Teaching your child to ride a bike is one of the classic hallmarks of the idyllic parenting journey. But learning to ride a bike can be scary, especially for younger kids trying to take the plunge. To make the process safer, easier, and a lot more fun, we’ve compiled this list of the best bikes for 4 year olds (and older kids, too!).
Our Top Picks
Cruise through a brief rundown of our top picks before diving into the details.
|Best Overall: RoyalBaby Kids Freestyle Bicycle with Training Wheels.|
This heavy-duty bike comes with detachable training wheels, a dual brake system, and plenty of bonus features that easily make it the best first bike for 4 year olds.
|Best Budget: Dynacraft Gravel Blaster Magna Kids Bike with Training Wheels.|
If you aren’t looking to break the bank, this affordable model comes with all the features you need in your kid’s bike at a price you can afford.
|Best Neighborhood Bike: JOYSTAR Totem Kids Bike.|
When all you’re looking to do is ride around the neighborhood, this simple, classic bike is the perfect answer.
|Best Balance Bike: TheCroco Premium Balance Bike.|
For kids who need practice with balance, try this 5-star balance bike!
|Best with Steering Wheel: Schwinn Steerable Kids Bike.|
With its parental guidance handle, training wheels, and other safety features, this bike comes with peace of mind for both you and your child.
1. RoyalBaby Kids Freestyle Bicycle with Training Wheels
The best overall bikes for 4 year olds
Brand: RoyalBaby | Height: 14 in. | Weight: 24.9 lbs. | Ages: 3+ | Price: 💰💰💰
The RoyalBaby Freestyle is the perfect throne for your young king or queen, whether they’re just starting out or already have some experience riding a bike.
This model is available in 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20-inch models, so you’ll be sure to find the best size bike for your 4 year old. The seat of each model is height-adjustable to sit at the perfect level for your child even as they grow. The four smaller models come with training wheels that are easily detachable when it’s time to learn how to balance.
Plus, with the wrap-around chain guard, wayward ankles are safe from scratches and cuts. This bike takes the crown and tops our list of the best bikes for 4 year olds.
- Smooth ride with dual-brake system controlled via single handle trigger
- Integrated seat handle makes it easy to grab and guide new cyclists
- Available in a range of fun colors to suit any kid’s preference!
- The heavy weight can make it challenging for kids to maneuver
- The smaller models don’t come with a kickstand
2. Dynacraft Gravel Blaster Magna Kids Bike with Training Wheels
The best budget bike for 4 year olds
Brand: Dynacraft | Height: 12 in. | Weight: 21 lbs. | Ages: 3+ | Price: 💰
A bike is a great way to get any kid outside and into the fresh air, but unfortunately, they can get pretty expensive. If you’re looking for a bicycle on a budget, check out the Dynacraft Gravel Blaster.
This brightly-colored bike is the perfect size for 4 year olds, and features a height-adjustable seat to sit at the perfect level. Detachable training wheels make it easy to transition into balance biking when they’re ready, and the coaster brake system means speed control is always at your child’s fingertips – or, rather, their toes!
- Adjustable training wheels can be set to offer more or less balance assistance
- Two brightly-colored style choices
- Very easy one-person assembly
- Adjustable components set very tightly, some found it difficult to adjust
- A little heavy for younger kids to wheel around
3. JOYSTAR Totem Kids Bike
The best neighborhood bike for 4 year olds
Brand: JOYSTAR | Height: 12 in. | Weight: 18.5 lbs. | Ages: 2+ | Price: 💰💰💰
While extra features can be nice, they can also be a bit…well…extra when it comes to casual rides around the block. If you’re looking for the best pedal bike for 4 year olds without all the excessive bells and whistles, check out the sturdy JOYSTAR Totem.
This retro-looking vehicle has all the basics that make a good, quality kids bike. The cushioned handlebars and seat are height-adjustable to suit your child’s arm length and waist level. An integrated holder in the seat makes it easy to guide, stabilize, and propel riders as they learn. The detachable training wheels and coaster brake system make this a perfect starter bike.
- Available in 12, 14, 16, and 18-inch heights and a range of fun colors
- Smooth ride with pneumatic tires and solid training wheels
- Built-in chain guard to protect little ankles
- The front wheel can turn a full 360 degrees (like an adult bike), and too-sharp turns may cause the bike to tip over
- Some reviewers had trouble assembling the bike
4. TheCroco Premium Balance Bike
The best balance bike for 4 year olds
Brand: TheCroco | Height: 12 in. | Weight: 4 lbs. | Ages: 2+ | Price: 💰
Balance bikes were made specifically to help kids learn how to balance themselves properly on a bike before they try to add things like coordinating their feet to pedal.
TheCroco Premium Balance Bike comes in a range of fun colors and is one of the more affordable 5-star balance bikes we found, which is why we’ve featured it here. This simple bike comes with a simple T-shaped handlebar, a padded seat, and dual puncture-resistant tires.
- Extremely lightweight aluminum construction gives kids all the control
- Foam-core tires never go flat and offer a smoother ride indoors and out
- Height-adjustable seat and handlebar to grow with your toddler
- With no pedal kit available, this balance bike can’t be converted into a ‘real’ bike later on down the road
- There’s no handle built into the seat for parents to grab
5. Schwinn Steerable Kids Bike
The best bike for 4 year olds with a steering wheel
Brand: Schwinn | Height: 12 in. | Weight: 23 lbs. | Ages: 2+ | Price: 💰💰💰
Even with practice on a balance bike or things like training wheels to help out, learning to ride a bike can still be a difficult, scary experience. The Schwinn Steerable Kids Bike offers an added layer of security thanks to the rear guidance handle that parents can use to keep control of speed, direction, and balance. Kids can ride more confidently knowing their protector has their back while they learn, and parents can rest easy knowing their child’s safety is in their hands.
In addition to this awesome feature, this baby comes with height-adjustable seat and handlebars to suit your kid’s specifications and detachable training wheels. It truly is one of the best bikes for 4 year olds to learn on!
- Tall height-adjustable parent handle for added layer of security
- Bonus features like water bottle holder and handlebar bell
- Gear guard to protect little ankles from scrapes
- The parental handle can be difficult to get the hang of, and doesn’t work as well on bumpy terrain (like gravel)
- The detachable training wheels sit a little high, meaning the bike wobbles more
For this guide on bikes for 4 year olds, our team spent 2 hours researching the most popular options from over 7 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about 35 user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each bike. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 5 bikes on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.