Mowing the lawn is one of those activities that you either love or you hate. Some enjoy putting in some headphones and enjoying some mindless work, while others abhor the very idea and are all-too-eager to pawn the job off on the kids. One thing both sides can agree on, however, is that the best cordless lawn mowers reign supreme. With a cordless electric mower, you get the flexibility and maneuverability of a gas lawn mower, with the quiet and eco-friendliness of an electric one.
With this in mind, we’ve compiled this best cordless electric lawn mower review so you can find the perfect mower for you (or your kids).
Our Top Picks
In a hurry? Here’s the bottom line:
|Best Overall: Greenworks Cordless.|
This electric lawn mower has all the best features, including an expansive cutting deck, an hour-long runtime, five different grass heights, and multiple handle recline positions.
|Best on a Budget: Sun Joe Cordless.|
While no cordless electric mower is “cheap,” this Sun Joe mower definitely proves they don’t have to be expensive to be good.
|The “Green” Pick: Sun Joe Cordless with Brushless Motor.|
With EcoSharp technology, this ETL-approved and Energy Star certified mower minimizes power fade, giving you maximum performance and minimal environmental impact.
|Best Lightweight: Black+Decker 3-in-1.|
If you’re looking for a lightweight cordless mower, check out this 3-in-1 tool that triples as a string trimmer and an edger!
|Best Heavy-Duty: Worx Cordless.|
Double the battery means double the power, making this powerhouse of a mower perfect for more extensive lawns and rougher, unkempt terrains.
Best Cordless Lawn Mowers: A Closer Look
1. Greenworks Cordless Lawn Mower
The best cordless lawn mowers
Brand: Greenworks | Weight: 37.5 lbs | Dimensions: 28.5 x 17 x 21.3 inches | Reclining Positions: 5 | Price: 💰💰💰
If you are looking for all the best features, this is the cordless mower for you. First, the basics, it comes with a sixteen-inch cutting base and a forty-volt battery. You’ll have a run time of 60 minutes for the 2AH battery. If you get the 4AH battery, you’ll have a run time of 120 minutes. There is a two in one rear bagging and mulching system. You can manually adjust to five different grass heights for mowing.
The handle on this Greenworks Mower folds down for compact and easy storage. The overall weight is 37 pounds, making it maneuverable in your garage and while mowing. We think the Greenworks Mower is the best electric cordless lawn mower around- which is why it tops our list.
- Handle folds down for more compact storage
- Larger rear wheels make it easier to maneuver
- 5 different reclining positions to suit the height of the user
- At just under 38 pounds, it’s hefty
- Most reviewers reported that the battery doesn’t seem to last for the full hour as advertised
2. Sun Joe Cordless Lawn Mower
The best cordless lawn mowers on a budget
Brand: Sun Joe | Weight: 23.1 lbs | Dimensions: 61.5 x 21 x 16.5 inches | Reclining Positions: 3 | Price: 💰💰
If you’re looking for the luxury of a cordless electric lawn mower without the associated price tag, take a look at this reasonably-priced powerhouse. With just a push of the button, you’ll be off a mowing with this fourteen-inch, twenty-eight-volt Sun Joe cordless lawn mower. Choose from three different height options to find the ideal height for your lawn. Grass discharge collects in a 10.6-gallon bag. This makes for quick and easy disposal and no piles of cut grass left on your lawn.
- 3 recline positions to suit the user
- One of the lighter-weight mowers on our list, making it easier to handle
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery can handle up to a quarter acre on a single charge
- Some have experienced little to no withstanding charge needing the whole unit to be replaced
- The included charger isn’t self-regulating and has to be unplugged after 3 hours of charging to prevent damage
3. Sun Joe Cordless Lawn Mower with Brushless Motor
The best eco-friendly cordless lawn mower
Brand: Sun Joe | Weight: 37.3 lbs | Dimensions: 48.4 x 17.7 x 42.9 inches | Reclining Positions: 6 | Price: 💰💰💰💰
Sun Joe is at it again with this eco-friendly, ETL-approved, Energy Star certified cordless lawn mower that uses EcoSharp technology to minimize power fade. This method ensures you get the maximum performance out of each second of use. The brushless motor increases motor life and performance by reducing vibration. The forty-volt battery will give you up to twenty-five minutes of cutting time. The cutting path is on the smaller side with fifteen inches. You’ll be able to customize the cutting height from 1.18 inches to 3.15 inches. There are two options available, a purely battery-powered option and a convertible battery/corded option. You have the option of choosing a bagged or discharge chute for the cuttings.
- Even handles tall, unkempt grass with ease
- 6 different recline positions for the ultimate adjustability
- Steel blade “cuts through grass like a hot blade through butter”
- The deck is durable plastic that may not hold up to rockier terrains
- Though the cutting height is adjustable, the range is pretty small, so if you prefer taller grass as a rule it may not be for you
4. Black+Decker 3-in-1 Lawn Mower, String Trimmer, and Edger
The best lightweight cordless lawn mower
Brand: Black+Decker | Weight: 14.4 lbs | Dimensions: 15.25 x 40.5 x 7.38 inches | Reclining Positions: N/A | Price: 💰💰
If you’re looking for a lightweight cordless electric lawn mower, look no further! This Black and Decker cordless lawn mower triples as a string trimmer and edger, giving you a range of functionality in one lightweight, compact piece of equipment. The automatic feed system (ASF) ensures you can work continuously without bumping and having to stop. At the same time, the power drive transmission prevents the mower from bogging down. As a bonus, it comes with two batteries, so you can change one out for the other and double your run time!
- Handle pivots for easy maneuverability
- Adjustable height deck and trimmer to get you the lawn you’ve always wanted
- At under 15 pounds, it’s incredibly lightweight and easy to handle no matter what you’re using it for
- The small cutting deck makes this mower suitable only for smaller yards
- You have to hold down the trigger for the trimmer to operate it, which can fatigue the hand
5. Worx Cordless Electric Lawn Mower
The best heavy-duty cordless lawn mower
Brand: Worx | Weight: 38.1 lbs | Dimensions: 55.47 x 39.45 x 17.83 inches | Reclining Positions: 6 | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
This behemoth of a cordless mower has all the features you need to tackle the messiest, most overgrown lawns. Dual 20V PowerShare batteries give you the power of a 40V for twice the run time. The on-board indicator ensures you’ll always know where your battery power is at, but don’t stress too much about it. You’ll easily be able to cut up over five thousand feet of lawn on a single battery charge with this lawn mower. Choose from a range of cutting heights to suit your preference, as well as 6 different reclining positions to suit your height. You have three options for grass discharge functionality: mulching, rear discharging, and bags.
- Foam grips on the handle for added comfort
- INTELLICUT technology allows you to adjust torque for extra power when you need it
- 16-inch cutting deck covers more ground that standard mowers, minimizing push time
- Some reviewers mentioned the lawn mower “bouncing” when pushed too quickly
- A few reviewers noted issues with the handle detaching from the mower but were able to reattach it easily
Features of the Best Cordless Lawn Mowers
The best electric lawn mower reviews won’t just tell you the features of the lawn mowers themselves, but will also explain the features that are important in a cordless lawn mower, so you know what to be on the lookout for. There are a variety of considerations to keep in mind:
The batteries in cordless mowers are going to increase the weight of the mower. This means you may want to consider the self-propelled option. Self-propelling can be a fixed speed or variable. Some mowers will have a variable speed that will adjust automatically to match your walking pace.
Cordless mowers are not the right choice if you have exceptionally long or thick grace. They do not have the power that a gas mower does to get through this type of grass. If your grass is ideal for a battery-powered mower, you need to decide what will happen to the cut grass. Some mowers will require an additional accessory for mulching.
Keep in mind that mulching is going to require more power from the battery. This means your battery will run out faster, meaning you can cut less acreage.
The first feature you will notice is the different battery size options cordless mowers have. You will need to choose from 12, 24, or 36-volt battery packs. You may even find a 40-volt option for newer and high-end cordless mowers. A twelve-volt battery will run for thirty to forty-five minutes on average (with normal grass and landscape conditions). A twenty-four-volt battery will have a run time of forty-five to seventy-five minutes. You can run a thirty-six-volt battery for an hour and a half. You should be able to cut a third of an acre with a nineteen-inch, thirty-six-volt mower on a single charge.
For the most part, you will find lead-acid or lithium-ion batteries. Some mowers have Nickel-cadmium batteries. Sometimes the batteries will be fixed within the mower. Other units will have removable batteries. Whichever type of battery you choose is just a matter of preference and choice. If you intend to keep a spare battery for extended runtime, you’ll want the removable option.
Whichever battery you choose, you should get about five hundred charges before replacement is required. Calculate how large your yard is and how often you mow to determine your battery life in years.