Futons are a perfect piece of furniture with multiple uses. They are great for tight spaces as well as guest bedrooms. As one of the most versatile pieces of furniture, it should come as no surprise that several companies have been perfecting their designs. There are countless different kinds of futons to choose from. To help make your decision a little easier, we’ve created a list of the best futon frames.
We have everything from the best full futon frame to the best heavy-duty futon frame. Kodiak Furniture’s Tucson Futon Frame is our overall top pick for its fair price and excellent durability. Keep reading for a list of the best futon frames out there.
Our Top Picks: Best Futon Frames
- Best Overall: Kodiak Furniture Tucson Full Size Futon Frame. Our overall top pick is a prime choice for those seeking a quality futon frame that is both stylish and durable. It’s a great product for multiple uses.
- Runner up: DHP Henley Metal Futon Frame. Runner up for the best futon frame is from DHP. As one of the best metal futon frames, it’s durable, lightweight, and easy to adjust.
- Best Budget: DHP Aiden Metal Futon Frame. You don’t have to pay a fortune for a good futon frame. Check out this pick from DHP for an affordable option.
- Best Splurge: Queen Sized Montreal Espresso Futon Frame. Our favorite splurge pick is a stylish and sturdy futon frame. It will last you for years and comes with the option to include a comfortable mattress.
- Best Wood Frame: KD Frames Studio Bifold Queen Futon. Being easy to move and assemble means that this futon frame is our favorite for the best wood futon frame. It is of excellent quality and will work great for your space.
- Best Twin Frame: Leisuit Rollaway Twin Guest Bed Futon. Here is our favorite choice for a twin futon frame. It moves smoothly and looks great in any room. Consider it when deciding on a twin futon frame.
- Best Queen: Kodiak Furniture Monterey Futon Frame. Our top pick for a queen futon is also one of the better wood futon frames you’ll find. It’s sturdy with an espresso finish that will look cozy in any space.
1. Kodiak Furniture Tucson Full Size Futon Frame
The best futon frame overall
Brand: Kodiak | Size: Full | Mattress Included: No | Frame Material: Wood, Walnut | Price: 💰💰💰💰
Coming in as our first choice among futon frames is this product from Kodiak Furniture. The wood frame is smooth and polished, making it a stylish addition to any room design. It’s the best full futon frame if that is the size you’re seeking. You won’t need any tools to assemble this futon, and it easily converts between a couch and bed without too much hassle on your part. A version of the frame comes without a mattress, but there are offers from the same company that includes a mattress with different color and pattern options. It’s sturdy, reliable, and will make a great addition to your space.
- Comfortable to sleep on
- Very easy to follow directions and assemble
- Variety of colors available to match your current decor
- Walnut shade leans more grey
- Heavy, can be difficult to adjust from couch to bed
2. DHP Henley Metal Futon Frame
The best runner up futon frame
Brand: DHP | Size: Queen | Mattress Included: No | Frame Material: Metal, Black | Price: 💰💰💰
Should a metal futon frame be more of interest to you, this is the one to check out. While being a queen-size futon, it is still suitable for small spaces. This makes it ideal for smaller bedrooms or studio apartments. The black metal frame means it’s lightweight and easy to adjust up and down. The style is simple. You can choose any mattress color, and it will look great. The product comes with a one-year warranty just in case the futon is not entirely to your liking or has a manufacturer error. DHP also touts the easy assembly of their products. In choosing this futon frame, you know that you are getting a quality product.
- Great price for the quality of the frame
- Looks good and feels stable once set up
- The metal frame is extremely sturdy and secure
- Frame is very low to the ground
- Small screws can make assembly a challenge
3. DHP Aiden Metal Futon Frame
The best budget futon frame
Brand: DHP | Size: Queen | Mattress Included: No | Frame Material: Metal, Black | Price: 💰
Another durable and reliable futon frame from DHP is the Aiden Metal Futon Frame. It’s our top choice for being the most affordable. Coming in at under $100, this black metal frame is lightweight and fits nicely into compact spaces. The frame has a contemporary design with curved armrests. It comes equipped with retainer clips that keep the mattress firmly in place when the frame is in any position. If you like the design and price but don’t want a black frame, there are other options from this manufacturer. You don’t have to break the bank to have a quality futon frame. This is an affordable option to consider.
- Folds easily back up to a seating position
- Cost leaves room to buy a comfy mattress
- Easy to assemble if you follow all the directions
- Not all futon mattresses are compatible with this frame
- Not durable enough for thicker mattresses with a lot of weight
4. Queen Sized Montreal Espresso Futon Frame
The best splurge futon frame
Brand: Jerry Sales | Size: Queen | Mattress Included: Yes | Frame Material: Wood, Espresso | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
If you’re looking for a futon frame that’s top of the line and are less concerned with a budget, look no further. With a sturdy wood frame and a plush mattress, this futon is one of the best out there. The wood frame is an espresso brown that can complement almost any space. It functions perfectly as a couch and bed, transitioning between the two formats with ease despite its bulky size. Due to the larger size of this futon frame, it’s less than ideal for smaller spaces. It is perfect for a guest bedroom that doubles as a space for other purposes. If you’re seeking a stylish futon frame that you’ll love for years to come, this is an excellent option to consider.
- Good for sleeping on
- Manufacturer has excellent customer service
- Looks just like what reviewers expected to receive
- Can be difficult to assemble due to bulky size
- Can be difficult to push back into couch position
5. KD Frames Studio Bifold Queen Futon
The best wood futon frame
Brand: KD Frames | Size: Queen | Mattress Included: No | Frame Material: Wood, Natural, Unfinished | Price: 💰💰💰
Here is an excellent option for a wood futon frame to consider. One of the highlights of this futon is that it’s eco-friendly and chemical-free. It can be hard to find eco-friendly futon frames. However, this brand is committed to keeping its products and processes as green as possible. The frame can support up to 600 pounds of weight and requires some assembly, although reviewers remark on the easiness of putting the frame together. It doesn’t come with a mattress, allowing you to select one that best fits your space. It’s a modest and comfortable futon frame that you’re sure to love.
- Felt solid when in use and doesn’t creak
- Classic futon frame that does its job well
- Suitable for larger people or multiple users without wearing out
- Mattress can slip when moving from couch to bed
- Some reviewers didn’t have a product with holes lining up properly
6. Leisuit Rollaway Twin Guest Bed Futon
The best twin futon frame
Brand: Leisuit | Size: Twin | Mattress Included: Yes | Frame Material: Metal, Black | Price: 💰💰
If you’re looking for a twin futon frame, here is one worth your consideration. This rollaway bed from Leisuit is perfect for small spaces. It collapses for compact storage and expands quickly. It’s sturdy and comes with a plush memory foam mattress that also folds away nicely with the frame. The mattress and frame duo can hold up to 300 pounds of weight. Assembly is doable with only one person, as is transforming it between a bed and for storage. If you’re looking for a rollaway futon bed that can be stored easily and is comfortable for guests, this is a good option for you.
- Easy assembly
- Directions are straightforward
- Very comfortable, great for small spaces
- No wheels attached
- Mattress has unpleasant odor upon arrival, needs airing out
7. Kodiak Furniture Monterey Futon Frame
The best queen futon frame
Brand: Kodiak | Size: Queen | Mattress Included: No | Frame Material: Wood, Espresso | Price: 💰💰💰💰
We love this futon frame for its stylish appearance and easy assembly. No tools are needed to put this frame together, and one person can do it by themselves. It’s another prime option from Kodiak Furniture with the same pleasant espresso wood finish as their other products. You can adjust it between a bed and couch easily. Reviewers have commented on their love of the versatility of this futon frame, one describing how well it works for their camp trailer. If you’re looking for one of the best wood futon frames out there, consider this one.
- Good quality for a fair price
- Excellent for spaces of all size
- Extremely sturdy for over 2 people
- Very low armrests
- Mattress doesn’t stay on frame well when in an upright position
How Do I Choose a The Best Futon Frame for Me?
After reviewing this list of the best futon frames and their features, take a moment to think about what you need out of your futon frame. These are the characteristics you should take into account when making your selection.
Note the size of the space you’d like to fit a futon in and decide from here. You can also consider how you plan to use your futon. Is it for guests or yourself? Will you mostly be keeping it as a couch, or will it often be used as a bed? Asking yourself these questions will help you determine which futon frame is going to work best for you.
Price can be a determining factor when deciding which futon frame to get. The great news is that there are very affordable options when it comes to futon frames. You can choose a basic frame for less than $100. On the other hand, if the price is less of a concern, there are higher-end options that give you top-of-the-line products.
Wood or metal? Armrests or no armrests? Knowing the style of the space you’re trying to match your new futon to will help you determine the design of the futon frame. A metal frame might work better for more modern spaces, while a wood frame is a more classic design.
After considering what kind of futon you need, it’s time to make a decision and enjoy your futon.
For this guide on best futon frames, our team spent 4 hours researching the most popular options from over 20 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about twenty user reviews per product (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each futon frame. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 7 on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.