Futons are the multi-tool of the furniture world. They function as a couch and a bed, giving you and your guests the perfect place to lounge or sleep without the need for several bulky purchases. Not only that, but the best futons provide ample comfort and unbeatable adaptability.
Whether you live in a smaller home or just want to save money and space, futons are the best way to go. We’ve scoured the net and rounded up the ten best futons on the market. Our overall favorite on the list is the Nirvana Futons Stanford Futon Set. This complete set comes in many colors, and the mission-style frame is elegantly crafted from solid wood and expertly stained with a heritage finish. The mattress is 8 inches thick, made in the USA, and comes with two matching throw pillows. It’s hard to imagine this set not being a great addition to almost any space. However, if it’s not quite your style or you’re on a budget, we’ve got a lot of different options to help you find the best futon to suit your needs.
If you’re looking for a futon purely for everyday sleeping, see our best futons for everyday sleeping here. Also, you may want to check out our comparison article daybed vs. futon to decide which is best for you!
Our Top Picks: The Best Futons
Here’s a quick peek at our list of the top 10 best futons available.
|Best Overall: Nirvana Futons Stanford Futon Set.|
A mission style, solid wood futon frame with an 8 inch thick, quality mattress and matching throw pillows. It also comes in plenty of colors so you can match it with your decor.
|Best Eco-Friendly: EMOOR Japanese Futon Mattress.|
A traditional Japanese folding futon of outstanding quality. Rumor has it that it also does wonders for your back.
|Best Budget: Mainstay Memory Foam Futon.|
This all-in-one futon has a contemporary look and split-back design. It’s the perfect solution for small spaces and budgets.
|Best Quality: Nirvana Futons Westfield Complete Futon Set.|
A fantastic example of exceptional craftsmanship with a solid wood frame in an espresso finish, a comfortable 8-inch thick mattress, and two matching throw pillows. And, with several colors to choose from, you’re likely to find the perfect fit for your home.
|Best for College Dorms: Kodiak Futon Lounger Sit-Lounge-Sleep.|
This futon has an unusual design that allows you to transform it from a couch to a bed just by lowering the armrests. Unlike most futons, it doesn’t come out further from the wall in the sleeper position, making it perfect for small spaces.
|Best for Camping: MAXYOYO Japanese Futon Roll Up Sleeping Pad.|
Weighing just 13 pounds, this is the best futon under 150 dollars that you can roll up and take along on your next camping adventure.
|Best All-In-One: Divano Roma Furniture Collection Split-Back Futon.|
This all-in-one futon offers a contemporary style, a split-back design, and an assortment of upholstered colors. It’s an excellent fit for a small space.
|Best Weight-Bearing: KD Frames Studio Bifold Futon Frame.|
In addition to being made from solid wood and having five adjustable positions, this frame can hold up to 600 pounds. The rave reviews and affordable price tag make this classic futon frame an easy choice.
|Best Mattress: DHP Independently-Encased Coil Futon Mattress. |
If you want a futon’s flexibility with the feel of a standard mattress, this is the one you’re after. It’s 8-inches thick and has 15 gauge independent coils to offer all the support you’ll need for a lovely night’s sleep.
|Best Frame: Nirvana Futons Arden Solid Wood Futon Frame. |
A classic style frame with the unparalleled quality and detail of one of the best futon brands. This solid hardwood frame has an all-over heritage finish that leaves it looking good from any angle.
1. Nirvana Futons Stanford Futon Set
The best futon overall
Brand: Nirvana Futons | Available Sizes: Queen, Full | Sofa Dimensions: 85″W x 32″D x 36″H | Frame Material: Wood | Price: 💰💰💰💰
The Stanford Futon Set by Nirvana Futons is the best futon sofa bed on the market thanks to its queen-size frame, cozy mattress, and excellent consumer ratings. It comes in a variety of colors and utilizes the highest quality materials around. And, our overall pick isn’t just the best queen size futon — the Nirvana Futons Stanford Futon Set is also available in a twin size.
- Comfortable for sleeping
- The mattress doesn’t slide off the frame
- The frame looks good even from the back
- The mattress has an initial odor
- It takes a bit of time and effort to put together
2. EMOOR Japanese Futon Mattress
The best eco-friendly futon
Brand: EMOOR | Available Sizes: Twin-long | Sofa Dimensions: Frame Not Included | Frame Material: Frame Not Included | Price: 💰💰
As the best Japanese futon on the market, this traditional mattress offers everything you need to rest or lounge in comfort. The EMOOR futon comes from Japan with authentic materials and exceptional craftsmanship. The convenient 3-fold design comes with polyester padding and Teijin Mightytop eco-friendly fibers. A classic choice.
- Compact and easy to move or store
- Sleeping on this is terrific for your back
- So much cheaper than a regular mattress
- Some people received a different model that isn’t as thick
- Thin design works well independently, but not with a futon frame
3. Mainstay Memory Foam Futon
The best budget futon
Brand: Mainstay | Available Sizes: Full | Sofa Dimensions: 71.65″W x 33.46″D x 32.48″H | Frame Material: Wood (Heavy-Duty Plastic Legs) | Price: 💰💰
Mainstay is known for quality furniture at exceptional prices, and the Memory Foam Futon is no exception. Coming in at an incredible price, you can expect all-in-one construction that’s both comfortable and functional. It’s the best cheap futon around.
- Easy to fold up and down
- Way more comfortable than expected for the price
- Memory foam and suede fabric make for comfortable lounging
- Not long enough for someone 6 ft tall
- Suede looks nice, but it gathers dust and pet fur
4. Nirvana Futons Westfield Complete Futon Set
The best quality futon
Brand: Nirvana Futons | Available Sizes: Queen, Full | Sofa Dimensions: 86″W x 32″D x 36″H | Frame Material: Wood | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
This futon offers unrivaled comfort and flexible positioning. It’s perhaps the best futon couch on our list and comes in various colors and styles. It’s the perfect choice for larger rooms and higher budgets from one of the best futon brands out there.
- The mattress is made in the USA
- The craftsmanship of the frame shows
- Adjustable positioning offers sofa, bed, or lounger style seating
- The mattress is heavy and difficult to maneuver into the couch position
- Futon ships in three different packages that don’t always come at the same time
5. Kodiak Futon Lounger Sit-Lounge-Sleep
The best college dorm futon
Brand: Kodiak | Available Sizes: Twin | Sofa Dimensions: 66″W x 33″D x 31″H | Frame Material: Metal (Wood Slats) | Price: 💰💰💰
The Kodiak Futon Lounger sports a unique design that’s perfect for sitting, relaxing, or sleeping. This set includes a comfortable mattress, two matching pillows, and a durable metal frame complemented by wooden supports. It comes in various colors and is the best futon for sleeping when you have limited space.
- It comes with two matching pillows
- The sturdy metal frame won’t break
- The lounger position is similar to a chaise lounge couch
- Some of the assembly parts have been noted as fragile
- The pillows don’t stay put well enough to be a good backrest
6. MAXYOYO Japanese Futon Roll Up Sleeping Pad
The best camping futon
Brand: MAXYOYO | Available Sizes: Full, Twin, and Queen | Sofa Dimensions: Frame Not Included | Frame Material: Frame Not Included | Price: 💰
Roughing it in the wilderness doesn’t mean you need to wake up with a sore back. This lightweight futon easily rolls up and packs away in its own carrying bag to make those camping trips just a little more comfortable. Although this mattress is only four inches thick to keep it portable, its middle layer consists of high-quality memory foam that will support you as you sleep. It’s one of the best inexpensive futons available, and it comes in a variety of colors.
- It’s perfect for sleepover parties
- It also works as a mattress topper
- Much more comfy than an air mattress
- Not as thick as it looks in the pictures
- Some people reported receiving the size or color
7. Divano Roma Furniture Collection Split-Back Futon
The best all-in-one futon
Brand: Divano Roma | Available Sizes: Twin | Sofa Dimensions: 77″W x 32″D x 32″H | Frame Material: All-In-One Unit (Metal Legs) | Price: 💰💰💰
The Divano Roma Futon features a stunning design that’s both modern and timeless. This all-in-one unit offers split-back construction, as well as an elegant and comfortable linen exterior. This futon’s plush upholstery creates the illusion of a classic, contemporary couch that can blend seamlessly in with your other decor. It’s the best affordable futon with the flexibility and convenience of a split-back design.
- Great colors
- Easy to convert
- Very simple to put together
- Not very soft
- It’s relatively low to the ground
8. KD Frames Studio Bifold Futon Frame
The best weight-bearing futon
Brand: KD Frames | Available Sizes: Full, Queen | Sofa Dimensions: 54.5″W x 46″D x 30″H | Frame Material: Wood | Price: 💰
The Studio Bifold is hands down one of the best-rated futon frames for the money. Featuring tulip poplar wood, this frame has a unique design that offers style and convenience with five reclining positions. Plus, it’s made in the USA with the highest quality materials and includes a 5-year warranty. If you’re looking for the best futon for a heavy person or just want an extra sturdy frame, both the full and queen size frames can support up to 600 pounds.
- Very well constructed and sturdy
- It doesn’t shift or creak when you move around on it
- The multiple reclining positions work well for different activities
- It’s low to the ground
- Mattresses tend to slide when in the couch position
9. DHP Independently-Encased Coil Futon Mattress
The best futon mattress
Brand: DHP | Available Sizes: Full | Sofa Dimensions: Frame Not Included | Frame Material: Frame Not Included | Price: 💰💰💰
The DHP futon mattress features everything you want in a cozy sleeper bed. With 15-gauge independent coils, foam and polyester filling, and a microfiber mattress cover. You can expect a great night’s sleep every time.
- Perfect for side sleepers
- Super comfy for sleeping
- The mattress is 8 inches thick
- Not comfortable for sitting
- Some reviewers experience issues with tearing along the middle where it folds
10. Nirvana Futons Arden Solid Wood Futon Frame
The best futon frame
Brand: Nirvana Futons | Available Sizes: Queen, Full | Sofa Dimensions: 80.5″W x 32″D x 36″H | Frame Material: Wood | Price: 💰💰💰
Nirvana Futons is one of the top futon manufacturers, and the Arden Frame is no exception. The 100% hardwood frame receives a multi-stage finish providing it with a durable and quality feel that’s second to none. This is the best futon frame on our list, and it’s backed by a 5-year warranty.
- Very sturdy and doesn’t shift around
- It comes with excellent assembly instructions
- It looks much nicer than your average futon frame
- Somewhat tricky to convert between positions
- The seat is at a slight angle in the couch position
Types of Futons
There are a few different types of futons available for purchase, and each has its own unique style and purpose:
- Folding mattress. The traditional style of a folding mattress is terrific for portability and to stow away after use. These are often the least expensive and most versatile choice, but they’re not as comfortable as bigger units.
- Mattress and frame. With a separate mattress and frame, these are easy to move and provide lots of comfort and durability. That said, multiple components are more cumbersome, and the mattress may occasionally slide off the frame.
- All-in-one. As the bulkiest option, all-in-one futons are inseparable and are often permanent fixtures of a room. They stand up well to the wear and tear of everyday use and provide exceptional comfort. They’re generally the most expensive.
No matter which option you choose, there are many incredible benefits to getting one of the best futons for your home.
Benefits of Futons
From comfort and adaptability to low cost and convenience, futons offer numerous perks compared to traditional options. Let’s take a look at some of the ways futons can help make your home better:
- Adaptable. Futons are incredibly versatile, transforming from a couch to a bed in a matter of seconds. Perfect for lounging, sleeping, and several other possibilities. Your imagination sets the limit.
- Small footprint. Whether it’s just the mattress, or the mattress and frame, futons take up less space than individual pieces of furniture. Plus, some models can be stowed out of sight, providing ample room and ease of use.
- Inexpensive. Futons start at under $100 and provide all the comfort and features you expect out of more expensive options. Plus, they’re much more cost-effective than purchasing individual items at a higher price point.
- Convenient solution. It doesn’t get much better than multiple pieces of furniture in one single package. Stow it away after use, or fold the frame to transform your futon into whatever the situation calls for.
Obviously, there are many benefits to getting one of the best futons, but where do they work best?
Where to Use Futons
Due to their unrivaled flexibility, futons are the perfect addition to most rooms. Live in a small apartment? Use one for watching TV or as a guest bed. Maybe you’ve got kids? Futons make the perfect low-cost addition to children’s rooms while doubling as a sleepover hangout. The options are truly endless. Some great examples include living rooms, guest bedrooms, children’s spaces, lounges, game rooms, and studios.