Kids are exuberant and full of energy on the best of days, and wily and unpredictable on the worst, which means keeping track of them is no small feat. The advent of GPS watches for kids has made what was once a nearly insurmountable task all too easy. If you’re wondering what is the best GPS watch for kids, look no further! Whether they’re out playing in the yard or running around at an amusement park or even just at an after-school activity, our list of the best GPS watches for kids will ensure you always know where your babies are.
Our Top Picks
Short on time? No problem. Check out a quick list of the best GPS watches for kids.
|Best Overall: TickTalk 4.|
This GPS watch has all the functionality of a smartphone at half the cost, and comes with tons of features for your child’s safety and enjoyment!
|Runner Up: XPLORA X5 Play.|
Our runner-up is a little more affordable without sacrificing the important things.
|Budget Pick: Themoemoe Kids Smartwatch.|
We literally cannot believe how affordable this model is, and the amount of functionality you get!
|Middle-of-the-Line Pick: CJC LTE 4G Kids Smartwatch.|
This model is compatible with pretty much any mobile network, a rarity amongst GPS watches.
|Best with a SIM Card: Cosmo JrTrack 1.|
The main selling point of the Cosmo JrTrack 1 is its pre-installed SIM card, but it also has all the features you want from your GPS watch.
A Closer Look: The Best GPS Watches for Kids
Now that you have the coordinates on our favorite GPS watches, let’s take a deeper dive into what makes the best, the best.
1. TickTalk 4 Unlocked 4G LTE Kids GPS Smartwatch
The best overall GPS smart watch for kids
Brand: TickTalk | Call Capability: 2-Way Call, 2-Way Video, Text | SIM Card: Included | Connectivity: Wi-Fi | Price: 💰💰💰💰
The TickTalk 4 is our pick for the best GPS tracker watch for kids, and can do pretty much everything a smartphone can do. It has all the main features a GPS watch should: 3-way smart location tracking, SOS calling, 2-way voice and video calling, and voice-to-text messaging.
Customize your experience with over 20 different parental controls via the free TickTalk app, and monitor everything from your child’s activity levels to their location, accurate within 10 feet. As an added bonus, this baby can also take pictures, send GIFs and emojis, and comes equipped with free unlimited music streaming powered by iHeartRadio Family.
- Parental controls features include customizable internet firewalls
- SIM card is compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile networks
- Two 5MP cameras
- Water-resistant but not waterproof
- Does not include geofencing feature
2. XPLORA X5 Play Watch Phone for Children
The best overall GPS watch for kids – runner up!
Brand: XPLORA | Call Capability: 2-Way Calling, Text | SIM Card: Not Included | Connectivity: 4G, 3G, 2G, WiFi | Price: 💰💰💰
With its slightly-lower price point and stellar main features, the XPLORA X5 Play takes our runner-up spot. It can’t do quite as much as the TickTalk 4, but if you’re looking for the best GPS phone watch for kids without getting a smartphone on a wristband, the X5 Play is for you.
The 2-way calling feature only accepts calls from pre-saved numbers to eliminate unknown callers altogether, and the 2-way messaging can send images, emojis, and voice messages to saved numbers. Geofencing and customizable safety zones keeps you alerted to your child’s location at all times. Other features include single-press SOS, a 2MP camera, 4GB storage, built-in pedometer, and DND school mode.
- Parental controls and settings monitored via free mobile app
- WiFi-compatible to save on data rates
- Waterproof IP68 up to 1.5 meters
- Works best with Speed Talk Mobile, but may work with other mobile networks with additional setup
- Outgoing messages can only voice recordings and emojis, not text
3. Themoemoe Kids Phone GPS Tracker Watch with Two-Way Call
The best budget kids GPS watch.
Brand: Themoemoe | Call Capability: 2-Way Calling | SIM Card: Not Included | Connectivity: 2G | Price: 💰
A GPS watch is more affordable than a smartphone, but they can still be pretty expensive. If you’re working with a tight budget, no one beats Themoemoe’s affordable price!
It comes with all the basic features you need, like 2-way calling, messaging via voice recording, DND class mode, and even a camera, all for under $20. While something this good might seem too good to be true, the reviews stand for themselves. It’s not the fanciest, most reliable model, but it definitely makes GPS tracking available to most families.
- DND school mode turns off all features except phone calls to minimize distractions in class
- IP67 waterproof protects against handwashing, rain, and light water exposure
- 2-way calling and voice recording messaging for easy communication
- 2G connectivity means lower-quality calls and higher margin for error with location accuracy
- Camera quality is grainy at best
4. CJC 4G Kids Smart Watch and GPS Tracker
The best middle-of-the-line GPS phone watch for kids.
Brand: CJC | Call Capability: 2-Way Calling, 2-Way Video, Text | SIM Card: Not Included | Connectivity: 4G, 3G, 2G, WiFi, Bluetooth | Price: 💰💰
A little more than the Cosmo JrTrack 1, but not as much as the XPLORA X5 Play, the CJC 4G Kids Smart Watch and GPS Tracker is a middle-of-the-line model that offers a reasonable price for some reasonable features.
2-way phone and video calling make for easy communication at all times, and the messaging feature supports outgoing images, voice messages, and emojis. WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity help you save on data costs each month, and the LBS GPS tracker ensures you always know where your kid is. Other fun features include adjustable alarm clocks, math games, a flashlight, built-in pedometer, IP66 water resistance, power-saving mode, and DND school mode.
- Single-press SOS button makes emergency calls in less than a second
- Customizable geofencing alerts you to location changes and arrivals
- Compatible with 4G SIM cards from most mobile networks
- Geofencing minimum is 200 meters, which some users feel is much too large a radius
- The mobile phone app has ads unless you pay a subscription fee
5. Cosmo JrTrack 1 Kids Smartwatch
The best kids smartwatch with GPS and a SIM card.
Brand: Cosmo | Call Capability: 2-Way Calling, Text, 2-Way Video | SIM Card: Included | Connectivity: 4G, WiFi | Price: 💰💰
One of the biggest draws of the Cosmo JrTrack 1 Kids Smartwatch is that it comes with its own SIM card. The 4G network supports both voice calling and video calling so you’re always in reach. Data plans on Cosmo’s nationwide network, powered by T-Mobile, start at just $19.99 a month.
It also includes tons of security features like 24/7 technical support, a mobile app for parents to monitor their child’s location and watch settings, and unlimited data, voice, and text so communication and location tracking are always available. In addition to precise GPS tracking, the JrTrack 1 supports geofencing, which allows you to set up customized alerts when your child enters or leaves certain preset locations.
- Mobile app allows parents to control watch remotely
- Enhanced data security ensures you and your family are protected
- Class mode to minimize distractions at school
- Can’t type — outgoing text messages are voice-to-text or emoji only
- Only water resistant against things like washing hands or a little rain
For this guide on GPS watches for kids, our team spent 2.5 hours researching the most popular options from over 15 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about 45 user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each watch. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 5 GPS watches for kids on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.