It’s important to be comfortable when you sit down to meditate. Relaxing your body allows you to focus on relaxing your mind, which can lead to deeper and more meaningful meditation practices. Depending on what you consider comfortable and how you want your meditation to look, there might be a specific meditation cushion for you. It’s a small purchase that has potential to have a big impact on your overall meditation practice. The best meditation cushions vary in size, shape, fabric, and density. They come in various comfort levels to ensure there is one suited for each unique person.
We’ve compiled a list of the best meditation cushions for all uses – from the best meditation cushion for back pain to those suited for meditators with joint pain. Keep reading to find your perfect meditation cushion.
Our Top Picks: Best Meditation Cushions
Sit and relax with one of these excellent cushions:
- Best Overall: Florensi Meditation Cushion. Our top pick for the best meditation cushions is both supportive and comfortable. It will help you achieve master meditation.
- Best Runner-Up: Zafu Meditation Cushion. Runner up is a zafu meditation cushion filled with buckwheat and lavender, introducing a pleasant and relaxing smell into your practice.
- Best Eco-Friendly: Waterglider International Meditation Cushion. Eco-friendly and comfortable are the two words that best describe this unique meditation cushion from Waterglider International.
- Best Budget: Peace Yoga Meditation Cushion. For those on a budget, there are still options for choosing a good meditation pillow. This one from Peace Yoga is our favorite budget choice.
- Best Luxury: Zenjara Meditation Cushion. If you’re looking to splurge, try our Zenjara’s meditation cushion. It comes with all the bells and whistles that support an excellent meditation practice.
- Best Foldable: GABUR Kapok Dreams Foldable Meditation Cushion. Not all meditation cushions are constructed the same. This one folds in and stretches out to allow more variety in your meditation poses.
- Best w/ Acupressure: Body Quiet Meditation Cushion. What sets this meditation cushion apart is its acupressure points located on one side of the pillow. Choose a smooth option or test yourself further with an acupressure meditation.
1. Florensi Meditation Cushion
The best meditation cushion overall
Brand: Florensi | Cover: Velvet | Filling: Buckwheat | Dimensions: 5″ x 16″ | Weight: 7.5 lbs | Price: 💰💰💰
Our top pick for the best meditation cushion is from Florensi. This large meditation pillow is fit for those at all levels of meditating. The pillow serves to raise your hips over your heels to improve posture and invite a relaxed mind. This position allows you to achieve the best meditation session possible. It’s supportive while remaining comfortable. The size and shape of this meditation pillow give it a dual purpose of meditation and yoga prop. Use it at your preference.
- Solid, heavy, and reliable
- Supportive for all body types
- Luxurious and soft velvet exterior
- Colors not entirely accurate
- Comes with a strange smell, needs airing out
2. Zafu Meditation Cushion
The best meditation cushion runner-up
Brand: Ajna | Cover: Velvet | Filling: Buckwheat & Lavender | Dimensions: 5″ x 15″ | Weight: 6 lbs | Price: 💰💰💰💰
In second place is this firm and comfortable meditation pillow from the Anja Store. It’s slightly small size makes it easy to transport, and a removable exterior case allows for quick washing. Unlike most other meditation cushions, this cushion has a velvet case surrounding the pillow. It provides a soft surface for a relaxing meditation. Take your meditation to the next level by introducing this supportive cushion into your meditation practice.
- Lovely lavender smell
- Pillow and its case feel luxurious
- Pamphlet on meditation included in package
- More expensive than other brands
- Narrow diameter might not be as comfortable for some people
3. Waterglider International Meditation Cushion
The best eco-friendly meditation cushion
Brand: Waterglider International | Cover: Cotton | Filling: Buckwheat | Dimensions: 6″ x 14″ | Weight: 5 lbs | Price: 💰💰
If you’re looking for an eco-friendly meditation cushion, look no further. Waterglider International offers a meditation pillow safe for the environment and made with ethically sourced materials. The exterior is crafted from organic cotton, while the filling is buckwheat hulls. It comes in the traditional circular shape often seen in meditation pillows. The outside cover is also removable and machine washable, making for easy cleaning for you. By choosing Waterglider International for your new meditation cushion, you can rest assured that you’re making a good choice for the planet.
- Affordable for a quality product
- Stays firm, great support for lower back
- Made from organic materials, and created in the USA w/ 100% refugee labor
- Cleaning the cover can be difficult
- Seams may unravel after intense use
4. Peace Yoga Meditation Cushion
The most affordable meditation cushion
Brand: Peace Yoga | Cover: Cotton | Filling: Buckwheat | Dimensions: 4.5″ x 13″ | Weight: 4.5 lbs | Price: 💰💰
A tight budget shouldn’t restrict you from purchasing a quality meditation pillow. It comes in five different colors, each with a unique design on the top. The outer fabric is hearty and durable, standing up to frequent use. When using this meditation pillow from Peace Health, your joints and muscles will be at ease, allowing you to relax and focus your mind on your meditation. The case is easily removable for cleaning, and handles on the sides make it perfect for transporting from place to place. It’s a great option for those new to meditation.
- Attractive designs
- Great for those with joint pain
- Affordable for a pretty good quality product
- Not ideal for heavier bodies
- Not as sturdy as other models; feels somewhat flimsy
5. Zenjara Meditation Cushion
The best luxury meditation cushion
Brand: Peace Yoga | Cover: Cotton | Filling: Buckwheat | Dimensions: 5″ x 15″ | Weight: 5.5 lbs | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
Should you be looking to splurge on a meditation pillow, Zenjara has one of the best on the market for you to consider. A boho pattern in white and shades of blue also makes this meditation cushion one of the most unique. The pillow supports a full or half lotus posture. It supports the lower back and hips, allowing for deeper and more relaxed meditation. Like most meditation cushions, the exterior case can easily remove for washing. For convenient transportation, the pillow comes with a stylish bag to hold the cushion.
- Looks very nice in the room
- Large, comfortable, and durable
- Ideal for those with sensitive ankles, knees, and hips
- Pretty expensive
- Might be too tall depending on body type
6. GABUR Kapok Dreams Foldable Meditation Cushion
The best foldable meditation cushion
Brand: GABUR | Cover: Cotton | Filling: Kapok | Dimensions: 6.5″ x 25.5″ | Weight: 9 lbs | Price: 💰💰💰
Not all great meditation cushions are circles. Here is one that folds up into a rectangle shape and folds out to a plush mat. With this foldable meditation cushion, you’re able to meditate sitting up and lying down. This meditation pillow sets apart because it’s durable, sustainable, and made in Thailand. Because the cushion can fold in and out, it’s ideal for both yoga and meditation. There is no one way to meditate — you should choose a posture that works best for your body and what feels good in the moment. This adjustable cushion allows just that.
- Great for beginners
- Small, ideal for smaller spaces
- Portable even without handles or a bag
- Dirties easily
- Smaller than some reviewers expected
7. Body Quiet Meditation Cushion
The best meditation pillow with acupressure
Brand: Body Quiet | Cover: Cotton | Filling: Buckwheat | Dimensions: 6″ x 13″ | Weight: 6 lbs | Price: 💰💰💰💰
There is evidence that Acupressure can help relieve tension in muscles, aiding in relaxation. Coupling light acupressure with meditation could have tremendous results for your practice. Body Quiet has created a meditation cushion with ridges on one side that allow you to invite acupressure stress and tension relief into your daily meditation. If the acupressure becomes too intense, flip it over to the smooth side for a softer seat. It does take a few minutes to adjust to the acupressure points, however, this is normal for such a practice.
- High-rise cushion
- Great for adding a little difficulty to some yoga poses
- Hard plastic acupressure points can be intimidating, but they don’t hurt to sit on
- Acupressure points may take time to get used to
- Smaller circumference than most competing meditation pillows
How to Use a Meditation Cushion
Sitting on a meditation cushion might seem like a no-brainer. However, balancing on your sit bones with a straight back, crossed legs, and an overall sturdy posture is more challenging than what meets the eye. This position is the most common posture to sit in, but there are several that you can try. Here’s how to best use a meditation pillow.
A popular pose among people who meditate regularly, kneeling is a great way to lengthen your back, relax the body, and focus your mind. If you have sensitive knees and ankles, however, a kneeling posture can be painful. This discomfort can be released by properly using a meditation cushion.
Sit with a leg on either side of the cushion, the tops of your feet flat to the ground, and sit bones nestled into the cushion. With your hands flat on your thighs, palms face up or down, lengthen your spine to create internal space for your meditation.
Ah, the famed lotus pose. This might be the most common pose to see yogis doing during their meditations. Take a standard cross-legged position and place each ankle on the opposite calf, creating a bind in the lower half of the body. This serves to open the calves, ankles, knees, and inner thighs to help you settle into a relaxed, but challenging position to meditate. Use a meditation cushion by placing it directly under your sit bones and using it to further extend your spine.
Sitting cross-legged with your sit bones on a meditation cushion is a good place for beginners to learn how to meditate with a pillow. It’s simple and doesn’t create any strain on your joints or muscles, but still allows the body to achieve the same length that all other poses do too.
Place your hands either face up or down on your thighs, or connect your thumbs and pointer fingers for a more traditional pose. Choose whichever stance best speaks to you.
For those looking to open their chest while meditating, laying in an arched back position is a good choice. Place the meditation pillow perpendicular beneath your spine and lay over it. Stretch your arms straight out to the sides for an even greater chest opening or keep them flattened to your chest to help you focus on your breath. Your feet can either be stretched straight out or pressed into a partial butterfly pose with the bottoms of your feet touching.
Any combination of these poses will help you achieve a master meditation practice.
For this guide on meditation pillows, our team spent 6 hours researching the most popular options from over 15 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about three hundred user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each pillow. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 7 meditation pillows on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.