Lip balm: we take it everywhere with us. We use it to keep our lips soft and crack-free, and we use it ALL THE TIME. The things we eat and put on our skin absorb into our bodies, even lip balm. So, let’s start using lip balms that have natural ingredients that won’t cause any harm to our bodies! We are here to help you on your hunt for the best natural lip balm for you. Our personal favorite? We love All Good Organic Original Lip Balm because it’s natural and safe for your skin and deeply hydrates lips. If you want to see the rest of our favorite natural lip balms, read on!
Our Top Picks: Best Natural Lip Balms
Short on time? Check out our quick list of top natural lip balms:
- Best Overall: All Good Organic Original Lip Balm. This organic, olive-oil-based balm is a perfect natural lip balm that hydrates and protects against the elements.
- Best Eco-Friendly: Sea Witch Botanicals Vegan Lip Balm. This vegan, plastic-free packaged, and amazing smelling lip balm is our top eco-friendly pick!
- Best Budget: Dr. Bronner’s Organic Lip Balm. All-natural and cruelty-free, this lip balm will leave your lips softer than ever, and won’t break the bank!
- Best for Dry Lips: Booda Butter Eco Balm. This natural lip balm is vegan, cruelty-free, and will leave even the driest lips soft and hydrated for hours on end.
- Best Splurge: Ghlee Peppermint Lip Balm. A ghee-based lip balm, this also contains coconut oil and essential oils for a clean, fresh scent.
- Best Tinted: Organic Tinted Lip Balm. These lip balms are primarily organic and tinted, perfect for adding color to your newly moisturized lips!
- Best SPF Lip Balm: Clear Zinc Oxide Lip Balm. Badger’s SPF lip balm is made of 97% organic ingredients, is cruelty-free and reef-friendly, and won’t leave your lips white!
1. All Good Organic Original Lip Balm
The best natural lip balm overall
Brand: All Good Products | Scent: Original | Organic: Yes | Vegan: No | Price: 💰💰
This fantastic lip balm from All Good is another excellent option in this roundup. It is a vegetarian, cruelty-free, paraben-free natural lip balm, and is perfect at protecting against the elements. It has extra-virgin olive oil in its formula, so it’s easy to put on and provides long-lasting moisture. This natural lip balm is also reef-friendly and certified organic! It is available on Amazon but is cheaper on their website. However, if you have Amazon Prime, it may be more worthwhile to purchase on Amazon.
A few buyers found that this natural balm did not provide quite as much moisture as they hoped. One mentioned it was perfect for spring and summer but wouldn’t cut it in harsh winter weather. Some said it didn’t improve their dry lips long-term. Despite this, overall, buyers loved this balm, the price, and how thoroughly it hydrated their lips.
- It is very soothing to dry lips
- Essential oil scent is light and refreshing
- It stays on a long time without reapplication
- It didn’t improve lip softness
- It’s not quite thick enough for harsh winters
2. Sea Witch Botanicals Vegan Lip Balm
The best eco-friendly natural lip balm
Brand: Sea Witch Botanicals | Scent: Peppermint Lavender | Organic: No | Vegan: Yes | Price: 💰💰💰
Sea Witch Botanicals has made some genuinely amazing lip balms. The ingredients are certified vegan, their packaging is plastic-free, and comes in several scents. This one is their peppermint lavender scent, and buyers love it! Its formula comprises of natural ingredients, all of which are fair trade certified.
Because this company is relatively small and new, there were only 17 reviews for this product. However, they were all five stars, which is impressive! Buyers loved how eco-friendly this lip balm is, with it’s reusable and recyclable tin, and sustainable ingredients. They especially enjoyed how moisturizing the lip balm is, as well as how amazing the peppermint lavender smells.
- The delicious scent
- How amazing their lips felt
- The recyclable tin it comes in
- Not all organic
3. Dr. Bronner’s Organic Lip Balm
The best natural lip balm on a budget
Brand: Dr. Bronner’s | Scent: Peppermint | Organic: Yes | Vegan: No | Price: 💰💰
This is an exquisite organic lip balm for an equally excellent price. Made from organic and natural ingredients, this is the perfect lip balm to protect against dry or cold weather. Jojoba, avocado, and hemp oil help keep the lips moist and protected against the elements. This balm is also cruelty-free and GMO-free! The icing on the cake is the low price and minty freshness that comes with this lip balm.
Buyers enjoyed Dr. Bronner’s balm overall. There were some, however, who found that it didn’t work for them. One reviewer mentioned it causing their skin to peel and be irritated; another said they needed to reapply the balm frequently. Despite this, the majority of buyers were delighted, commenting on how smooth, moisturizing and minty it was.
- Very smooth balm
- Highly moisturizing
- Love the minty freshness
- Needed to reapply constantly
- Irritated one users’ skin, made it peel
4. Booda Butter Eco Balm
The best natural lip balm for dry lips
Brand: Booda Organics | Scent: Cocoa | Organic: Yes | Vegan: Yes | Price: 💰💰💰
Booda Organics has created one of the best natural lip balms for dry lips on the market today. Their balms come in three scents: cocoa, peppermint, and simple shea butter (our fave is the cocoa). Booda uses organic, raw, natural ingredients, and their container is even biodegradable. We especially love that these are certified cruelty-free and vegan!
Buyers absolutely adore this natural lip balm. The only complaint was that it comes in smaller containers compared to regular lip balms, but it is well worth it. Reviewers mentioned how soft their lips felt. They thoroughly appreciated the raw, natural ingredients, as well as the biodegradable packaging it came in. And, of course, buyers were thrilled about it being cruelty-free and vegan.
- The raw, natural ingredients
- It keeps their lips moisturized
- The biodegradable packaging
- Difficult to find in stores
- The container is smaller than name-brand lip balms
5. Ghlee Peppermint Lip Balm
The best lip balm splurge purchase
Brand: Ghlee | Scent: Peppermint | Organic: No | Vegan: No | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
Ghlee is a fascinating company that makes products that are made primarily of ghee. For those who don’t know, ghee is clarified butter and is perfectly safe to eat and put onto your skin. Their lip balm is made of ghee, coconut oil, and beeswax primarily. Peppermint essential oil provides a wonderful scent and a fresh feeling for the lips. Ghlee also has lip balms with various other scents such as mango, rose, and chai.
Some buyers found that this natural lip balm melted too quickly for their taste and that the packaging was not up to par. However, most loved this product. They found the ghee consistency to be perfect and appreciated that it softened even the driest of lips. It also provided moisture for a long time after application.
- Softened dry lips
- The consistency is perfect
- It provides long-lasting moisture
- It melts easily
- Packaging could be better quality
6. Organic Tinted Lip Balm
The best natural tinted lip balm
Brand: Sky Organics | Scent: Peppermint | Organic: No | Vegan: No | Price: 💰💰
This all-natural lip balm from Sky Organics is moisturizing and tinted, for those who want some color added. We suggest getting a four-pack of various tint shades, perfect for those who want to try a variety of colors. Sky Organics lip balms are cruelty-free and primarily made of organic ingredients, which is why we picked it for best natural tinted lip balm.
Some reviewers found that this lip balm didn’t moisturize their lips enough, and thought the color might be too pigmented for their taste. However, overall, buyers loved Sky Organics’ tinted lip balm. The formula glides on smoothly, moisturizes their lips, and adds just the right pop of color.
- High-quality lip balm
- The formula is smooth and goes on easily
- Adds a perfect amount of color along with moisture
- The color is too pigmented
- Doesn’t moisturize well enough
7. Clear Zinc Oxide Lip Balm
The best natural lip balm with SPF
Brand: Badger | Scent: Fragrance-Free | Organic: Yes | Vegan: No | Price: 💰💰
Badger has quite a few different lip balms, but this happens to be their SPF 15 lip balm. Badger uses 97% organic ingredients, and they are a cruelty-free, reef-friendly company. The zinc oxide used as the SPF will rub into the skin, so it doesn’t leave an icky white cast like most sunscreen products.
Some reviewers thought that the scent left something to be desired and found that the formula was slightly drying on their lips. However, most buyers were thrilled with their purchase and highly recommended it. They found it to be moisturizing, effective at blocking UV rays. It even went on clear, rather than white.
- It goes on clear
- Very moisturizing
- It prevents sunburn effectively
- Didn’t like the scent
- Dried out lips slightly
What to Look for in the Best Natural Lip Balms
Depending on your preferences, there are a few things to consider when searching for natural lip balms.
- Allergies/Sensitivities: Always be aware of various ingredients in skin and body-cleansing products, even all-natural ones. Just because all of the ingredients are natural, that doesn’t mean that you can’t be sensitive or allergic to them. Many natural lip balms contain essential oils for fragrance, and some people are actually quite sensitive to them. Remember to always spot test your products before using them regularly. No one wants a nasty rash on their lips!
- Organic/Vegan Ingredients: If you have any preference about the ingredients in your food or cosmetics, you’ll want to consider them when searching for a natural lip balm. Although you may be buying a product with natural ingredients, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s organic, vegan, or cruelty-free. Always check before purchasing if you have any specifications about ingredients!
- Price: There are a TON of brands out there that will charge exorbitant amounts of money for lip balm (or any product, really) just for the “natural” labelling, since that seems to be a trend these days. However, you can find more affordable products, with better ingredients, and that work more effectively. So if you don’t immediately find a lip balm within your budget, keep looking!
No matter your preferences, the best all-natural lip balm for you is out there.
For this guide on natural lip balms, our team spent 7 hours researching the most popular options from over 15 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about eighty user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each balm. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 7 natural lip balms on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.