Perhaps you have a hearty enthusiasm for deals and frequent the local Costco, farmers’ market, or fish docks. Or maybe you’re a hunting and fishing enthusiast. Whatever the case, buying a vacuum sealer pretty much sets you up for life as far as the food preservation department is concerned. With this in mind, we’ve taken the liberty of rounding up the top 10 best vacuum sealers of 2021 to help you make an informed decision.
Vacuum sealers used to be reserved for commercial kitchens. They help store the hundreds of pounds (or even more) of food that flow through popular restaurants on a weekly basis. Nowadays, though, vacuum sealers have found their way into the average person’s home. We’ve got a variety of options for you depending on what you plan to use it for.
Our Top Picks
If you’re in a hurry, here’s a quick overview:
|Best Overall: Geryon Automatic|
With six different food settings, a low profile, and multi-layer vacuum bags, Geryon wins out Best Overall Vacuum Sealer pick.
|Runner Up: NutriChef Automatic|
Coming in a close second, NutriChef’s Automatic is one of the best-rated vacuum sealers on the market.
|Best Budget: Moajie Food Sealer|
When it comes to a tighter budget, check out this solid bag sealing machine under $30.
|Green Pick: FoodSaver VS0160|
While helping save your food, Vacuum sealers do end up going through a lot of plastic vacuum bags. The FoodSaver VS0160, on the other hand, generates up to 35% less bag waste than other leading models!
|Best Battery-Powered: Seal-a-Meal Manual Sealer|
This powerful machine comes with the flexibility of built-in battery power, so a power cord and outlet location don’t limit you.
|Best Handheld: Waring Pistol Handheld|
It may look like a gun, but this little device is one of the coolest (and most functional) vacuum sealers we’ve ever seen.
|Best Combo: FoodSaver V4840|
If you’re looking for the best of both worlds, this machine can handle standard and handheld vacuum sealing.
|Most User-Friendly: Mueller Air Sealer|
With a clear user interface and multiple LED indicator lights, you can take this one right out of the box and start sealing; no tutorials required.
|Best Commercial: Weston Pro-2300|
For kitchens that see a lot of food in need of preservation, check out the commercial market’s best vacuum sealer.
|Best Chamber: VacMaster VP210 Chamber|
This chamber sealer is not for the faint of heart, but indeed a blessing for those in need of packaging large volumes of oddly-shaped foods.
A Closer Look: Best Vacuum Sealers
If you’re like us and wanting an airtight reason for a vacuum sealer, we’ve gone ahead and done the work for you below.
1. Geryon Vacuum Sealer Machine with Vacuum Hose
The best vacuum sealers on the market
Brand: Geryon | Dimensions: 2.56 x 5.5 x 14.4 Inches | Weight: 2.6 lbs | Power: Plug-in | Price: 💰💰
Geryon might not be a brand name you’ve ever heard of, but they certainly know their stuff. This vacuum sealer comes with six different food settings to ensure the perfect seal no matter what you’re storing. The machine’s low profile won’t take up too much space on your counter and stores compactly when not in use. Though compatible with most vacuum seal bags, you’ll get the best results with Geryon-specific bags. They’re specially designed with multiple layers that seal against both heat and freezer burn, so you can store them with confidence and still make sous vide. An included vacuum tube allows you to seal canisters and containers as well.
Starter Kit Includes: 1 Vacuum Sealer, 7.8” Vacuum Roll, 5 Precut Bags, 1 Vacuum Tube, 1 User Manual
- Upper lid easily detaches to clean the vacuum chamber and gaskets when needed
- Heat-resistant vacuum bags make this one of the best vacuum sealers for sous vide
- Lightweight, slim profile doesn’t take up too much real estate on the counter or in the cupboard
- The operation buttons are highly sensitive, and reviewers caution to avoid accidentally pressing them when closing the lid
- Depending on the thickness of the food you’re packaging, the snap-close lid may not offer enough pressure to get a complete seal. Reviewers report that this issue is resolved by just holding the lid down for the 20 or so seconds it takes to seal
2. NutriChef Automatic Vacuum Sealer
The best runner-up vacuum sealer
Brand: NutriChef | Dimensions: 6 x 14.1 x 3 Inches | Weight: 2.9 lbs | Power: Plug-in | Price: 💰💰💰
We don’t often feature two “overall best” picks. Still, the race between the Geryon and this NutriChef Automatic Vacuum Sealer was so close. This particular sealer is one of the best rated vacuum sealers, with over 18,000 5-star reviews! It’s a little smaller than the Geryon and only has 2 food settings. That said, it also comes with reusable vacuum bags. Though the overall price is slightly higher, this makes it a pretty economical (and eco-friendly) option.
Starter Kit Includes: Wine Stopper Cork, 5 Medium Bags, 1 Extra Long Bag Roll
- Dry and Moist settings for compatibility with most foods
- Tested for up to 50 consecutive seals without overheating
- It comes with unique reusable bags, but is compatible with almost any vacuum seal packaging
- Reviewers recommend leaving an inch or so of extra bag space to ensure the vacuum can remove all the air
- While the vacuuming portion of the process makes noise, the sealing portion does not. Customers warn to wait for the “green light” before opening the device to avoid accidentally pulling your package out before it’s had the chance to seal
3. Maojie Automatic Vacuum Sealer
The best budget vacuum sealer
Brand: Moajie | Dimensions: 15.8 x 6 x 2.9 Inches | Weight: 2.25 lbs | Power: Plug-in | Price: 💰
Though many of the vacuum sealers on our list are by no means exorbitant when it comes to price, not everyone has the same budget. So, if you’re hoping not to break the bank with your new vacuum sealer, we recommend the Maojie Automatic Vacuum Sealer. This machine offers the same vacuum-seal capability as other models for under $30, making it one of the best deals we’ve seen. The vacuum seal mode is used for dry foods, and the wet pump mode for moist or wet foods.
As a bonus, there’s a heat seal mode that doesn’t activate the vacuum at all. This is perfect for resealing a bag of chips or pretzels, so they stay fresher longer.
Starter Kit Includes: 1 Vacuum Sealer, 10 Vacuum Bags, 1 User Manual
- Compatible with most vacuum seal bags
- Pump setting for use with external vacuum tank (sold separately)
- Heat seal mode that doesn’t use vacuum for resealing your favorite snacks
- Some reviews indicated that customer service from this brand might be lacking
- A little larger than some other models, which takes up more counter and storage space
4. FoodSaver VS0160 PowerVac Sealer
The best eco-friendly vacuum sealer
Brand: FoodSaver | Dimensions: 15.94 x 6.16 x 2.71 Inches | Weight: 5.39 lbs | Power: Plug-in | Price: 💰💰
One major concern with vacuum sealing is the number of plastic bags you’ll go through. FoodSaver saw this problem and worked hard to create a machine that reduces the amount of excess bag you need to use to seal any given food item. Hence, the VS0160 generates approximately 35% bag waste than other leading brands! Another bonus of this model is that it’s designed for vertical storage. The front and back ends are flat, so you can stand the machine on its side, which takes up significantly less space on the counter. It also features a lock to keep the device closed when stored.
Starter Kit Includes: Heat Seal Roll, 3 Quart Bags, 2 Gallon Bags
- Can be stored vertically to save space
- Moist and Dry settings for compatibility with most foods
- Compatible with most vacuum seal bags, with 35% less bag waste
- The power cord is very short, which may be inconvenient depending on your outlet placement
- To operate, both sides of the device have to be “clicked” into place over the vacuum seal bag, which requires some manual pressure to achieve
5. Seal-a-Meal Manual Vacuum Sealer
The best battery-powered vacuum sealer
Brand: Seal-A-Meal | Dimensions: 17.1 x 9.3 x 6.15 Inches | Weight: 3.8 lbs | Power: Battery-Powered | Price: 💰💰
Most vacuum sealers have to be plugged into an outlet to work. This Seal-a-Meal machine stands out because it’s actually battery-powered! No more rearranging your kitchen counters to get your vacuum sealer close enough to an outlet to use.
In addition to that convenience, this device features a removable drip tray that’s completely dishwasher-safe, making clean up easier than ever before.
Starter Kit Includes: 1 Vacuum Sealer, 4 Quart Bags, 1 User Manual
- LED indicator lights for clear and easy operation
- Removable, dishwasher-safe drip tray for simple clean-up
- Though it only comes with 4-quart bags, it is compatible with most vacuum seal bags and rolls
- There’s no wet food setting, and the vacuum doesn’t do well with “moist” foods
- You have to press down pretty firmly with both hands to ensure a complete seal
6. Waring Pistol Vacuum Sealer
The best handheld vacuum sealer
Brand: Waring | Dimensions: 8.25 x 5 x 8.25 Inches | Weight: 3.4 lbs | Power: Battery-Powered | Price: 💰
While it’s hard to find a good mini vacuum sealer, Waring has created one of the only “pistol-style” vacuum sealers for the average household. While commercial kitchens might have similar styles, if you’re looking for a handheld vacuum sealer that won’t cost you an arm and a leg, then this is it. Unlike conventional vacuum sealers, this device doesn’t use heat to seal. Instead, the compatible zip-seal bags have a special one-way port. The pistol is joined with the port, and then the trigger depressed, and voila! This method is gentler on more delicate foods and is also faster. Though it has to be used with brand-specific vacuum bags, they are dishwasher-safe, so you can reuse them many times.
Starter Kit Includes: 1 Pistol Vacuum Sealer, 1 Heavy-Duty Base, 1 Bag Zipper, 1 Charging Cord, 25 Gallon Bags, 25 Quart Bags, Rechargeable Battery
- Comes with a bag zipper device that makes sealing bags a breeze
- Rechargeable battery can handle up to 30 vacuum seals on one charge
- The pistol-style sealer nestles into a protective base that also includes a storage slot for bags
- Can only be used with compatible brand-specific bags
- Does not heat seal, which means if the zipper seal is disrupted, you’ll have to reseal the bag
7. Foodsaver V4840 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealer
The best handheld combination vacuum sealer
Brand: FoodSaver | Dimensions: 18.8 x 9.5 x 10.6 Inches | Weight: 10 lbs | Power: Plug-in | Price: 💰💰💰💰
FoodSaver makes our list again with their V4840 2-in-1. This combination machine can do the same vacuuming and heat sealing as other devices on our list, but has the added benefit of a retractable handheld sealer already built-in. This handheld unit is best used with compatible FoodSaver bags. Still, you can also use it with canisters, mason jars, and some of the best FoodSaver accessory pieces like their wine stopper. With both moist and dry foods and the automatic bag sensor that takes the guesswork out of sealing, you’ll feel like a vacuum packaging pro in no time.
Starter Kit Includes: 1 Vacuum Sealer, 1 11” x 10” Roll, 3 Quart Bags, 3 Quart Zipper Bags, 2 Gallon Bags, 2 Gallon Zipper Bags
- Wet and dry settings mean you can package most foods
- Automatic bag sensor makes the vacuum and sealing process much more manageable
- Combines the universality of heat vacuum sealing with the convenience of handheld vacuum sealing
- Roll packaging requires more blank space than other models, which some reviews felt was wasteful
- Getting bags into the device can sometimes feel like inserting a dollar bill into a vending machine
8. Vacuum Sealer Machine by Mueller
The best user-friendly vacuum sealer
Brand: Mueller Austria | Dimensions: 14 x 3 x 6 Inches | Weight: 2.2 lbs | Power: Plug-in | Price: 💰💰
Muller Austria is another brand name we hadn’t heard of before, but the reviews more than speak for themselves. This device features an intuitive operation panel with LED indicator lights that eliminates the trial-and-error phase of learning a new machine. One button lets you toggle between Gentle and Airtight vacuum power, a bonus if you have plans to seal more delicate foods. The second button toggles between wet and dry foods so that you can package most anything. Then, you can choose from a vacuum seal or a plain-old heat seal. And of course, there’s a stop button for emergencies. Rather than inserting bags into a thin slot, the lid lifts up so you can easily see where you’re placing.
Starter Kit Includes: 1 Vacuum Sealer, 1 Air Suction Hose, 5 Medium Bags, 1 Extra-Long Roll
- Included bags are washable and reusable to reduce waste
- Air suction hose allows for even more versatility with sealing
- Simple user interface with LED indicator lights makes operation easy
- A few reviewers thought the lid was difficult to seal properly
- The buttons are highly sensitive, and reviewers suggest using caution to avoid hitting the seal button prematurely
9. Weston Pro-2300 Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer
The best commercial vacuum sealers
Brand: Weston | Dimensions: 15.3 x 23 x 9 Inches | Weight: 22 lbs | Power: Plug-in | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
If you’re looking for something a bit more heavy-duty, this Weston Pro is one of the best commercial vacuum sealers backed by a 2-year warranty. The Teflon sealing bar is 16 inches wide and can handle a lot with its 935 watts of power. The motor is fan-cooled as well, which means it can handle sealing plenty of bulk foods all at the same time without overheating. Though it does have to plug in, the cord is extra-long for more flexibility. Plus, there’s a cord storage drawer on the back of the machine, and everything is right where you need it.
Starter Kit Includes: Stainless Steel Machine, 100 2-Ply Quart Sized Bags
- Extra-wide 5-millimeter seal bar ensures a reliable seal that isn’t easily disrupted
- Manual seal mode means you can adjust the vacuum amount for more delicate foods
- Fan-cooled motor ensures plenty of consecutive use, perfect for commercial settings
- Much larger and heavier than nonindustrial models
- Significantly more expensive than nonindustrial models
10. VacMaster VP210 Chamber Vacuum Sealer
The best chamber vacuum sealer
Brand: VacMaster | Dimensions: 24 x 19 x 19 Inches | Weight: 83 lbs | Power: Plug-in | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
The VacMaster commercial grade sealer is a powerhouse for those sealing high volumes of oddly-shaped foods. With its vacuum chamber, you can fit much larger foods than a standard zipper bag. In addition, the chamber-style process uses less vacuum roll than standard models. Though the price tag is high, remember that this isn’t your average kitchen appliance. If you need something heavy-duty, the VacMaster is the way to go.
Starter Kit Includes: Commercial Grade Sealer
- Dry machine pump is maintenance-free
- Easily vacuum-packages wet foods and even liquids like soups or drinks
- Customizable vacuum and seal methods to suit whatever your needs are
- Very large, and very heavy
- Exponentially more expensive than most other vacuum sealers
What to Look for in a Vacuum Sealer
Here are the top things to look for when hunting for the best vacuum sealer machine for you.
The first decision you’ll need to make is if you want a chamber, external, or handheld vacuum sealer. Each of these three designs has its pros and cons, and most of your decision will weigh how often you plan to use it.
If you’re going to be doing tons of packaging in bulk, you’ll probably want to lean towards a chamber-type vacuum sealer.
If you’re planning to use it less often, you may want to get a standard machine or even a handheld one.
Hand-in-hand with the type is the intended usage. Some vacuum sealers are designed for particular types of sealing jobs. You’ll find models customized for sealing meats, dry foods, liquids, or even non-food items like linens. The best food vacuum sealer for meats may not be the best vacuum sealer for sous vide.
If you are looking for a portable food vacuum sealer with a small footprint, you may want to go with a handheld device. But bear in mind that sometimes portability and lightweight units offer lower performance capacity and don’t last through many sealing jobs. On the other hand, if you get a vacuum sealer the size of a dishwasher, you may quickly get annoyed with how much room it takes up.
Suction power is only one-half of the process when it comes to vacuum sealing. The mechanism used to seal packages once the air is removed is just as important. The quality of the heating bar, as well as the vacuum strength, will work together to seal food properly. Some cheaper vacuum sealing machines don’t have sufficient strength and end up improperly sealing food. Many of the best vacuum sealers on the market incorporate heating bars that are covered by heavy-duty silicon frames.
Some vacuum sealers are “universal.” This means they are compatible with pretty much any kind of storage bag. The positive here is, of course, the flexibility to buy whatever kind of storage bag you prefer. But, just because a machine is universal doesn’t mean you’ll get the best seal on any type bag.
Vacuum sealers that are only compatible with a specific storage bag mean you don’t have much of a choice. But, since they’re designed specifically for that one bag, they usually do the job quite well.
Some vacuum sealers have special features, like adjustable vacuum strength, rapid marinate mode, and other extra settings. Fancier vacuum sealers will have pressure gauges and LED indicators to help you monitor the sealing progress. Some machines come with external hoses that aid in sealing jars and canisters. Depending on your intended usage and how frequently you intend to use your sealer, it will help you know which (if any) of these special features are for you.