The wooden picnic table that you’ll find at most standard campground sites is a reliable staple, but sometimes, it’s not enough. Whether you need some extra surface to prep food, have a bigger family that can’t all fit at one table, or want a smoother surface to play cards on, portable picnic tables are an invaluable addition to your adventuring arsenal. This handy guide will help you find the best camping tables so you and your family can enjoy everything the great outdoors has to offer.
Our Top Picks
In a hurry? Here’s a quick overview:
|Best Overall (and the “Green” pick!): Lifetime Utility Table|
This tried-and-true folding picnic table can be set to 4 different heights, folds in half with built-in carry handles for easy transport, and features a stain-resistant surface designed to stand up to rough outdoor conditions.
|Best on a Budget: ALPS Mountaineering Eclipse.|
Made with the same collapsible design and durable fabrics as standard camping chairs, the Eclipse features built-in cupholders and 4 straps to adjust tautness.
|Best Compact: Coleman Outdoor.|
If size is your main concern, Coleman’s Outdoor table features aluminum slats that stack on top of each other to save space when stored.
|Best Large: ALPS Mountaineering.|
When it’s time to feed the whole family, check out this lightweight dining table that offers 55 inches of eating space!
|Best Lightweight: Helinox Collapsible|
Backpackers looking to cut ounces at every corner can now bring the luxury of a flat surface with them, thanks to the lightweight mesh design of the Helinox table!
|Best Organizer: Camp Chef Sherpa Table|
If organization is the name of the game, the Camp Chef Sherpa table system is here with 4 color-coded, zippered storage bags that have their own interior compartment.
|Best Cook Station: GCI Outdoor.|
For the chef who longs to bring everything but the kitchen sink with them, this outdoor cook station features 4 fold-out tabletops with accessory cutouts, along with a heat-safe main surface perfect for the grill!
Best Camping Tables: A Closer Look
Here’s a detailed look at each of out top camping tables.
1. Lifetime Height-Adjustable Utility Folding Table
The best camping tables overall – and the best eco-friendly
Brand: Lifetime | Dimensions: 48 x 24 x 29 inches | Weight: 19 pounds | Shape: Rectangle | Price: 💰
Our pick for the overall best camping picnic table comes from Lifetime with over 17,000 5-star reviews. It might look like a simple folding picnic table, with its white surface and metal legs. But don’t let the humble appearance fool you! It is also height-adjustable, wide enough to comfortable seat 4, and has built-in carry handles.
The tabletop features high-density polyethylene plastic, which is extra-durable to stand up to rougher conditions. It’s also UV-resistant to withstand sun exposure. The dense surface is easy to wipe clean after a good meal, and stain resistant to maintain its pristine appearance through ketchup spills and wayward coloring markers alike. The legs are powder-coated steel, which is rust-resistant to prevent corrosion on rainy days.
As a bonus, Lifetime is an eco-conscious manufacturer. They value waste reduction by recycling all plastic scrap and using wax-coating-free cardboard. Lifetime is an active participant in Rocky Mountain Power’s Industrial Energy Efficiency programs and was awarded a Certificate of Energy Resource Stewardship. So, not only is this one of the best folding camping tables on the market, it’s also our Green Pick!
- Height-adjustable legs with 4 different settings to suit multiple activities
- Folding design is compact for space-saving storage in the trunk on the way
- Built-in carry handles and lightweight construction is easy to tote to and from the campsite
- Opening and setting up the table is difficult without a partner to assist you
- The table is only 24 inches long, which some users found too short for their liking
2. ALPS Mountaineering Eclipse Table
The best budget camping tables
Brand: ALPS | Dimensions: 27 x 27 x 26 inches | Weight: 4 pounds | Shape: Square | Price: 💰
For those looking to save on their camp table but aren’t willing to sacrifice quality and functionality, look no further. The ALPS Mountaineering Eclipse Table has a great variety of features at an unbeatable price. Just like your standard camping chair, this table is made of 600D polyester fabric and a lightweight, collapsible frame. Everything folds up into the included shoulder carry bag for convenient transportation. Underneath the main table surface (where you’ll do your eating and game playing), there’s a secondary surface that you can use to store everything from magazines to snacks. It also has 4 built-in cupholders, so you don’t have to worry about knocking over your drink when you win at cards!
- Secondary table surface with built-in cupholders
- Corner buckles allow you to customize the tautness of the tabletop
- Integrated storage pocket has 3 large slots and 3 pouches for easy access
- Even with the straps that adjust tautness, the tabletop is still made of fabric and will bend under pressure
- Though lightweight and easy to set up, the table isn’t durable enough to bear the weight of heavy items, and may not be suitable for food prep
3. Coleman Outdoor Folding Camping Table
The best compact camping tables
Brand: Coleman | Dimensions: 8 x 8 x 28.5 inches | Weight: 8.9 pounds | Shape: Square | Price: 💰💰
While the Eclipse table does collapse into a simple shoulder carry bag just like your favorite camping chair, our winner for the best compact camping table has to go to Coleman’s Outdoor Folding Table. The tabletop features lightweight aluminum slats that offer a sturdy flat surface for multiple activities. When not in use, the slats fold on top of each other to take up minimal space. The collapsible frame is made from steel for added durability and snaps easily together, so you can spend less time setting up and more time enjoying yourself.
- Simple snaps make setup fast and easy
- Large surface area can accommodate 4 users at a time
- Incredibly lightweight design that folds up into included carry bag for easy portability
- The aluminum slats aren’t dent/scratch resistant, and may show wear and tear over time
- While it’s great when sitting down, the table isn’t height-adjustable, is too low for standing activities
4. ALPS Mountaineering Dining Table
The best large camping tables
Brand: ALPS | Dimensions: 28 x 55 x 28 inches | Weight: 14 pounds | Shape: Rectangle | Price: 💰💰💰
ALPS is at it again with their Mountaineering Dining Table. Not to be confused with their Mountaineering Eclipse, this full-length table offers 55 full inches of space to accommodate the whole family for a sit-down meal. The X frame design is sturdier than 4 individual legs, but still collapses down into the included carry bag. And, as the tabletop is made of individual slats that you can fold, the tabletop fits easily alongside the frame. Both the slats and frame are lightweight aluminum; you won’t break your back carrying it to and from the car.
Additionally, the Mountaineering Dining Table is available in 3 different size options. We love their X-Large size as one of the best large camping tables, but check out their Square and Regular sizes, too!
- Full dining table size is perfect for the whole family
- X-frame design is durable enough to support more weight but still collapsible
- Aluminum tabletop slats are lightweight and fold up for compact transport and storage
- Though lightweight, the aluminum tabletop isn’t scratch-resistant
- The included carry case is not as durable as the table itself, and may wear out with rough use
5. Helinox Table One Collapsible Camping Table
The best lightweight camping tables
Brand: Helinox | Dimensions: 23.62 x 15.75 x 15.35 inches | Weight: 1.3 pounds | Shape: Rectangle | Price: 💰💰💰
Backpackers and hikers alike know how important every single ounce can be when it comes to packing your bag. A table might seem like a luxury best left at home, Helinox has come up with a lightweight camp table that weighs in at just 1.3 pounds! They eliminate weight by using mesh for the tabletop and aluminum for the frame – but not just any aluminum. The frame is made with a proprietary aluminum alloy that is more durable than standard aluminum. This little table can support up to 110 pounds! The mesh tabletop features rip-stop polyester edging for added durability, and features dual integrated cupholders in the center. All the tabletop materials are weather- and UV-resistant, and machine-washable for added convenience. And, with packed dimensions of just 4.5 x 16 inches, this is arguably the best backpacking table ever made.
- Sets up in minutes thanks to an internal bungee cord
- Two integrated cupholders with stretchable opening to hold cups and mugs in place
- Lightweight mesh and polyester tabletop is durable and machine-washable as a bonus
- The mesh material of the tabletop is in no way fire-resistant, so be sure to keep it away from stray campfire embers
- Both cupholders are large enough for a standard beer or soda can, but not wide enough for larger water bottles and travel mugs
6. Camp Chef Sherpa Camp Table and Organizer
The best organizational camping tables
Brand: Camp Chef | Dimensions: 25.5 x 16.5 x 9 inches | Weight: 13.5 pounds | Shape: Rectangle | Price: 💰💰💰
Keeping organized can be one of the hardest parts of going on a camping trip. But it definitely saves you time and headache if you can manage it. So why not have your picnic table do some of the work for you? The Camp Chef Sherpa Camp Table and Organizer is not only a sturdy work surface that you can use to prep food, eat dinner, and play games. It doubles as organizational storage, thanks to the 4 compartments located beneath the tabletop. Each compartment has its own perfectly-sized bag that slides into place, essentially creating 4 “drawers.”
The bags come in different colors to help you stay organized. The blue bag has lining so it can be used as a cooler or even as a sink basin! All the bags zip closed to ensure everything stays safe and sound inside. A zippered cover encloses all 4 bags in their compartments when not in use to protect them from wayward spills and curious bugs.
The lower compartment divider expands to create one extra-wide compartment perfectly-sized to accommodate a Mountain Series camp stove (or other similarly-sized camp stoves).
- Integrated carry handles with padding for easy and comfortable portability
- The tabletop is stackable aluminum slats that you can remove in favor of the lower canvas tabletop
- Telescoping aluminum legs allow you to adjust the overall height of the table to suit your preference
- The zippered cover that closes over all 4 compartments doesn’t have any roll-away strap, so it hangs down when opened
- While lightweight, the aluminum legs aren’t as stable as they could be, and many reviewers prefer to use the table without opening them
7. GCI Outdoor Slim-Fold Cook Station
The best cook station camping tables
Brand: GCI | Dimensions: 52 x 21 x 32 inches | Weight: 18.9 pounds | Shape: Rectangle | Price: 💰💰
If you’re looking for a table that makes food prep and cooking more elaborate meals easier, check out GCI’s Outdoor Cook Station. This collapsible “table” basically brings the versatility of your kitchen to the outdoors. The main table surface is heat-resistant aluminum, durable enough to support up to 30 pounds (perfect for your camping stove!). There are 4 additional fold-out side tables made of durable, food-safe plastic that you can use for everything from holding your utensils to marinating steaks for the grill. Each fold-out table has accessory cutouts that can be used to hang towels or tongs, cradle a wine glass, and even string up a roll of paper towels.
The powder-coated steel frame is entirely one piece that collapses down compactly for transport and storage. It also includes an integrated lower rack that makes a perfect place to keep a cooler. The spaces between each crossbar allow excess water to drain away.
- Combined surfaces can handle a total of 300 pounds!
- The single-piece frame construction makes the entire table incredibly sturdy
- Entire station folds flat with integrated carry handles for easy transport and storage
- Though it does fold down flat and have carry handles, the table is still bulky and relatively heavy
- The main aluminum-slat work surface is “slippery,” and some reviewers recommended bringing heat-safe rubber trivets to ensure your camp stove stays in place
What to Look For
Camp tables come in a variety of shapes and sizes and a range of different styles. To help you figure out what’s best for you, here are some features to consider as you browse:
While sometimes you can drive your car right up to your campsite, sometimes, you have a bit of a trek. That makes having your camping picnic table being portable incredibly important. Portability depends on two main factors:
- Size – a larger table is going to take up more space, even when it’s compacted down
- Weight – even tables that fold down into a single carry bag can be a pain to haul around if they weigh 30 pounds!
Most camping tables are collapsible for easier transport, however, that means you have to un-collapse them to use them. It doesn’t matter how great your camp table is if you can’t figure out how to set it up! Even if you can figure it out, you want something that won’t take half an hour to assemble. That might not seem like a long time, but don’t forget: you’ll also have a tent to set up, and maybe some cots, and food to organize, and a fire to build…all those tasks add up to lots of time spent making camp and less time enjoying yourself.
The trade-off for having a folding or collapsing camping table is that you lose the kind of durability you get from a regular table. Outdoor gear brands have found various ways to help reinforce their camping tables to ensure it can stand up to your food prep, family meals, and more aggressive games of monopoly.
The height of a table isn’t necessarily the first thing you might think to check, but it’s arguably the most important. After all, if you sit down and can’t reach your food on the table, what good is it? On the other hand, if you need to stand to prep your food and have to hunch over to reach the table, then you’re going to end up frustrated with an aching back.
Some camping tables are height-adjustable or have multiple height settings to choose from. This makes these tables more versatile, because you can use them for sitting and standing and furthermore, adjust them to custom heights for short or tall users.