Your yoga routine is a therapeutic practice that deserves to be taken seriously. The right yoga mat is an excellent start, but there are many different accessories and tools to help you develop your poses. The only question is: how are you supposed to lug all that equipment around? Easy! The best yoga mat bags.
The top yoga mat bags make it easy to move and access your equipment while keeping it safe and protected. Our favorite bag is the Yogiii Tote Pro, which has plenty of space to stash your mat and other goodies. But depending on what you’re looking for, there are plenty of options to fit your routine. Let’s check them out.
Our Top Picks: Best Yoga Mat Bags
Ready to get back to your yoga practice? Here’s a quick look at our top picks:
- Best Overall: Yogiii Tote Pro. If you’re seeking a simple, elegant bag, the Yogiii Tote Pro offers plenty of room for your mat and accessories.
- Best Eco-Friendly: Lotuscrafts Yoga Mat Bag. Crafted from 100% organic cotton and backed by the ILO, the Lotuscrafts Bag is as eco-friendly as they come.
- Best Budget: Gaiam Evolve Yoga Bag. Gaiam is well known for creating quality yoga accessories, and the Evolve Bag is no exception.
- Best Backpack: Yoga Sak. Load up your yoga mat, and sling it over your shoulders with the Yoga Sak backpack.
- Best Tote: Aurorae Yoga Mat Tote Bag. Thanks to top-tier features like multiple pockets and a waterproof liner, this is the best yoga tote on the market.
- Best Large: Kindfolk Yoga Duffel Bag. Made from synthetic leather and boasting a generous main pocket, the Kindfolk Yoga Bag is both classy and large.
- Best Harness: Hugger Mugger Harness. Simply strap on the Hugger Mugger Harness, and head to class with this stylish, lightweight option.
1. Yogiii Tote Pro
The best yoga mat bag overall
Brand: Yogiii / Material: Cotton Canvas / Dimensions: 28” x 10” x 10” / Colors: 12 / Price: 💰💰💰
Remember beginner’s mind? Take it back to basics with the Yogiii Tote Pro.
This minimal tote comes in 12 different colors and boasts cotton canvas construction for a gentle and durable feel — perfect for home and on the go. It also comes with one interior pocket and one exterior pocket for essentials like your phone, keys, and wallet. Other than that, the Yogiii Tote Pro is wide open with plenty of space for your gear. It’s our top pick for the best yoga mat bag overall.
- Lightweight and comfortable
- 12 stylish color and design options
- Doubles as an all-in-one workout bag
- Not machine washable
- Challenging to fit XL yoga mats
2. Lotuscrafts Yoga Mat Bag
The best eco-friendly yoga mat bag
Brand: Lotuscrafts / Material: Organic Cotton / Dimensions: 28” x 7” x 6” / Colors: 7 / Price: 💰💰
It often feels impossible to consume mindfully, as most companies refuse to source sustainable materials. The good news? Lotuscrafts does.
This 100% organic cotton tote is not only eco-friendly, but its entire supply chain is GOTS Certified, from the field to the processing center. And, all labor is overseen by the ILO, ensuring a fair, equitable manufacturing process.
As for the quality? The Lotuscrafts Yoga Mat Bag is a comfy, durable, and lightweight (0.9lb) option that’s ideal for all your yoga adventures. And you’d hardly know it given the unbelievable price point.
- Gorgeous colors
- Eco-friendly and sustainable
- The cotton fabric is strong and durable
- Too small for larger mats
- Only uses one moderately durable zipper
3. Gaiam Evolve Yoga Bag
The best cheap yoga mat bag on a budget
Brand: Gaiam / Material: Canvas / Dimensions: 25” x 6” x 6” / Colors: 1 / Price: 💰
The Gaiam Evolve is the perfect budget bag for the modern city-dwelling yogi. It boasts a sleek black and white color scheme that’s comfortable to carry on long walks, and plenty spacious. The Evolve also comes with a large front pocket, and a customized strap that works for every shape and size of yogi.
And the best part? Whether you prefer listening to pop songs or guided walking meditations while out and about, doing so is easy and convenient thanks to the built-in phone pocket with discreet earbud slits.
- Full-zip enclosure
- Adjustable shoulder strap
- Phone pocket w/ earbud slit for listening to music on the go
- Canvas feels a bit flimsy
- 25″ width only fits regular-size mats
4. Yoga Sak
The best backpack for yoga mats
Brand: Yoga Sak / Material: Polyester / Dimensions: 20” x 9” x 6” / Colors: 7 / Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
Carry all your essentials (along with your yoga mat) with the Yoga Sak. This premium yoga mat bag is made of heavy-duty twill polyester and boasts several mesh and zipper pockets. It also includes a space for your ID, pens, and makeup.
How’s it work? The backpack design means your yoga mat simply snaps in and rolls up with everything in the bag. It’s a thoughtful design with plenty of space and lots of handy compartments.
- Plenty of pockets
- Adjustable strap fits all sizes of yoga mats
- One of the best yoga backpacks on the market
- Flimsy interior netting
- Velcro less secure than zippers
5. Aurorae Yoga Mat Tote Bag
The best yoga tote bag
Brand: Aurorae / Material: Polyester / Dimensions: 30” x 11” x 10” / Colors: 5 / Price: 💰💰💰💰
If you’re looking for something that looks less like a yoga bag and more like a street bag, the Aurorae Yoga Mat Tote Bag is a good option. It has one outer zipper pocket and a large interior pocket to fit your yoga mat and other accessories that you need to carry with you.
In terms of aesthetics, the Aurorae Yoga Mat Tote Bag measures 30″ long at the top and tapers down to a respectable 25″ — plenty of room for a variety of yoga mats. Magnetic snap closures keep things secure yet easy to access, while the five style options guarantee a color palette to suit every taste.
- Waterproof liner inside
- Two-year warranty from date of purchase
- Zippered pouches on the inside & outside are perfect for keys, phones, and wallets
- Fairly spendy
- Great for long mats, not for wide mats
6. Kindfolk Yoga Duffel Bag
The best large yoga mat bag
Brand: Kindfolk / Material: Synthetic Leather / Dimensions: 26” x 8” x 8” / Colors: 2 / Price: 💰💰💰💰
If you find yourself attached to your yoga partner and need a bag to carry two standard yoga mats, the Kindfolk Yoga Duffel Bag is an incredible option. It’s constructed of eco-friendly, vegan materials and sports traditional designs like elephants and celestial patterns.
It’s also one of the highest-rated yoga bags on the market, primarily due to its superior craftsmanship and generous dimensions. But that’s not even our favorite part.
For every duffel sold, Kindfolk donates $1 to humans rights foundations around the world. Now, that’s what we call doing the right thing.
- Durable & classy faux leather finish
- Plenty of room for all your accessories
- Eco-friendly vegan material & supportive company
- Fragile zipper
- Straps are on the shorter side
7. Hugger Mugger Harness
The best yoga mat harness
Brand: Hugger Mugger / Material: Nylon / Dimensions: 35” x 6” x 6” / Colors: 1 / Price: 💰
If you’re looking for the best yoga mat carrier without unnecessary bells and whistles, the Hugger Mugger Harness is for you.
The Hugger Mugger Harness is a simple yet efficient way to transport your yoga mat around. All you have to do is wrap the two loops around your mat, buckle the closures, and you’re good to go! It’s an economical choice that serves its function without fail. If you don’t feel the need to carry an entire yoga mat bag, this is the choice for you.
- Very affordable option
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Nylon webbing and buckles are plenty secure
- About the same price as an entry-level bag
- Requires a purse or separate bag for other items
What to Look for in the Best Yoga Mat Bags
The best yoga bag should serve as a convenient way to transport your mat wherever your practice takes you.
To that end, it ought to be functional, versatile, and comfortable to take on the go. Look for durable yet soft materials like cotton and polyester to ensure it meets those criteria.
You may also wish to choose an environmentally friendly bag. If so, we recommend selecting a model with 100% organic cotton or other natural resources!
Choosing a yoga mat bag doesn’t have to be overwhelming or stressful. Just have a look at this top ten list to see what type of options you have. Make your decision according to your lifestyle, color tastes, and budget.
Your yoga practice awaits!
For this guide on yoga mat bags, our team spent 4 hours researching the most popular options from over 25 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about one hundred user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each bag. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 7 yoga mat bags on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.