Does the thought of vacuuming the house stress you out? Thankfully, you don’t have to drag that heavy machine around and unwind that long hose yet again. The best robot vacuum cleaners have come a long way since they were first introduced to the market. With all the upgrades, added features, and positive reviews, there’s no reason not to own one of these ingenious inventions. Yes, they do cost a little more than a traditional vacuum would. However, imagine the time you will save by not performing this mundane job every day.
Whether you need one geared toward dust collection, or for gathering pet hair, there’s a unit right for you. And the best part is: you never have to lift a finger! We’ve put together a list of the best robot vacuum cleaners so you can get precisely what you want.
The vacuums on this list have been chosen based on technology, cleaning power, and customer reviews. As you look through the options, keep in mind your personal needs and which of these robot vacuums will check more boxes for you.
Our Top Picks
In a hurry? Here’s the short version:
|Best Overall: Eufy RoboVac 11.|
Whether or not you’ve heard of the Eufy brand, you’ll be impressed with their super-thin robot vacuum. It boasts 100 minutes of cleaning time, automatic suction power-boosting technology, and simple remote-control operation.
|The “Green” Pick: Neato Botvac.|
With a power-saving Eco cleaning mode, the Botvac offers all the features you’re looking for in a robot vacuum with an innovative D shape that gets deep into the corners.
|Best Budget: ECOVACS DEEBOT N79.|
If you’re looking for an automatic vacuum on a budget, check out the reasonably priced DEEBOT N79. It combines a 3-tier cleaning system, anti-collision sensors, and protective bumpers to give you the same great clean without the price tag.
|Best Vacuum and Mop Combo: ILIFE V5s Pro.|
When hardwoods are the name of the game, check out this vacuum and mop combo that adds scrubbing power to your cleaning machine, giving you sparkling floors with zero effort!
|Best for Carpet: iRobot Roomba 690.|
On the other hand, if carpet is your master, the iRobot 690 uses multi-level bristles and an auto-adjust head to clean down to the base of carpet fibers, be they hi- or low-pile.
|Best for Pet Owners: Shark ION R75.|
If you love your furry friends but not the hair they leave everywhere, take a look at this super powerful suction device that can handle multiple long-haired fur babies with ease.
|Best for Allergies: iRobot Roomba 960. |
When the spring season actually means allergy season, the iRobot 960 is here with multi-level rubber brushes designed to easily gather dander and natural allergens and trap them in the high-efficiency filter.
Best Robot Vacuum Cleaners: A Closer Look
Here’s a detailed look at each of the robot vacuum cleaners.
1. Eufy RoboVac 11
The best overall robot vacuum cleaners
Brand: Eufy | Weight: 5.73 pounds | Cleaning Time: 100 mins | Dimensions: 17.8 x 13.7 x 4.96 inches | Price: 💰💰💰
When you think of the best robot vacuums, you probably think of the household name, Roomba. So you’re probably just as surprised as we were that one of the best automatic vacuum cleaners comes from a brand we’ve never heard of before! The Eufy RoboVac 11S is a super-thin model designed to effortlessly slide under furniture with low clearance. No more worrying about dust and debris building up at the base of the couch. Thanks to climbing capability, the RoboVac can smoothly transition between carpet and hardwood floors. It even navigates over standard room dividers with ease. Infrared technology ensures the vacuum avoids ledges and obstacles. Simultaneously, its interior memory system lets you schedule when you’d like it to operate.
This attractive machine has a long cleaning time of around 100 minutes from a full charge. It’s relatively quiet during operation, so it won’t disturb you or your house guests. When the battery gets low, the RoboVac will turn off its vacuum to conserve power as it returns to the docking station. It will recharge before heading back to resume its cleaning right where it left off!
- Multiple cleaning modes and adjustable pre-set vacuum runtime
- Easy operation with included remote control and simple user interface
- BoostIQ technology automatically boosts suction power after 1.5 seconds for stubborn dirt and debris
- With no internal Wi-Fi, you can’t control the RoboVac with a smartphone app, Alexa, or Google Home device
- The infrared sensor struggles to recognize black flooring (be it carpet or hardwood) and will usually treat it as an obstacle
2. Neato Botvac Connected Wi-Fi Enabled Robot Vacuum
The best eco-friendly robot vacuum cleaners
Brand: Neato | Weight: 6.39 pounds | Cleaning Time: 60 mins | Dimensions: 12.7 x 13.2 x 3.9 inches | Price: 💰💰💰💰
Pretty much every robot vacuum cleaner on the market is round, therefore they all have the same problem: they can’t get into corners. Their anti-bump sensors that help them navigate your home prevent them from getting too close to the wall, leaving a triangle-shaped section of uncleaned floor literally at every corner.
Neato saw this problem and created a solution. The Botvac is D-shaped, and uses CornerClever technology to get closer to walls and deeper into corners than any other robot vacuum. It is slightly larger than normal, which means it can’t get under lower-clearance furniture like some other robot vacuums on our list. Still, we think the corner thing more then makes up for that.
In addition to this innovative design, the Botvac has all the other features you need from your automatic vacuum cleaner:
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- compatibility with Alexa and the Neato app,
- Long-lasting lithium-ion battery
The LaserSmart mapping and navigation system uses real-time object detection scans to map your room and plan a methodical cleaning path.
As a bonus, the Neato Botvac features an environmentally-conscious Eco mode. Though slower, this mode is much quieter and conserves energy to give you the same level of cleanliness, making it our “green” pick!
- Powerful suction on Turbo mode and energy-saving cleaning on Eco mode
- D-shaped unit gets closer to walls and deeper into corners; no floor is left unvacuumed!
- LaserSmart mapping system detects objects in real-time to map your room and methodically clean it rather than bouncing around
- The unit is a little bulkier than other robot vacuum models, which means it can’t get under low-sitting furniture
- Some reviewers noticed that the Neato’s Wi-Fi connection interrupted other device connections to the same network
3. ECOVACS DEEBOT N79 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
The best budget robot vacuum cleaners
Brand: ECOVACS | Weight: 8.25 pounds | Cleaning Time: 120 mins | Dimensions: 13 x 13 x 3.1 inches | Price: 💰💰
The reasonably-priced ECOVACS DEEBOT N79 has all the same features and cleaning ability as the leading popular robot vacuums, without the more unnecessary high-tech amenities. If you want something to keep the floors clean, then why pay more?
You can easily control every aspect of the device with its associated smartphone app. In addition to tracking and scheduling your cleaning sessions, the app will show alerts should the vacuum become stuck or encounter a problem while operating. It also shows the remaining battery.
The ECOVACS 3-Tier Cleaning System combines a direct-suction vacuum, dual-side brushes, and helix roll-brush for maximum cleaning power across all flooring types.
Choose from multiple different cleaning modes to suit the needs of each room of your home. With Anti-Collision and Drop Sensor Protection, the DEEBOT avoids ledges and obstacles with ease. In case of unusual furniture that doesn’t trigger the sensors, the DEEBOT features durable bumpers that protect both your furniture and the vacuum itself.
- 3-tier cleaning system gets a deeper clean on most flooring types
- Easily control the vacuum’s schedule, cleaning mode, and navigation with an app on your smartphone
- Anti-collision sensors, drop sensor protection, and protective bumpers help ensure the device doesn’t get stuck and can continue to operate smoothly without needing to be rescued
- You can’t control the vacuum with an Alexa or Google Home device
- Though the DEEBOT is supposedly low-noise, many reviewers found the noise level distracting
4. ILIFE V5s Pro Robot Vacuum Mop Cleaner
The best robot vacuum and mop combo cleaners
Brand: ILIFE | Weight: 4.9 pounds | Cleaning Time: 110 mins | Dimensions: 11.8 x 11.8 x 3 inches | Price: 💰💰
If you’ve got hardwoods upon hardwoods and are looking to add some mopping power to your robot vacuum, then the ILIFE V5s Pro is for you. This powerful vacuum and mop combo device use a sweeping system with powerful suction while in vacuum mode, and an intelligent water tank system in mopping mode. With a unique suction structure, the V5s Pro is especially efficient at gathering larger debris like long pet hair, making it a pet owner’s dream.
Thanks to infrared sensors and drop protection, the V5s Pro can easily navigate around most obstacles and ledges to continue cleaning without needing to be rescued. And, with an average of 110 minutes of cleaning time, along with the ability to schedule your cleaning ahead of time, you’ll basically never have to lift a finger. Regardless of which mode you’re in, the unit monitors its own battery and returns to base when power is low. This means your vac mop is always rearing to go when you are.
- Uses unique suction structure to easily gather dirt and pet hair alike
- Combines vacuum and mopping in one device for ultimate clean floors
- Infrared sensors let the vac mop navigate around obstacles and avoid ledges
- You have to switch the dustbin and water tank out to change between cleaning modes, as well as attach or detach the mop pad
- As the mop function might suggest, this vacuum is best-suited to hardwood, vinyl, and tile flooring types (though ILIFE advertises that it can vacuum over low-pile carpet)
5. iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum
The best carpet robot vacuum cleaners
Brand: iRobot | Weight: 7.8 pounds | Cleaning Time: 60 mins | Dimensions: 13 x 13 x 3.6 inches | Price: 💰💰💰💰
On the other hand, if your home is more carpet than hardwood (or you have a lot of fuzzy rugs), then the iRobot Roomba 690 may be for you. This lower-cost model brings all the benefits of the Roomba brand without the price tag. Low-pile carpet vacuum cleaners use shorter bristles to scrub the surface of standard carpets, and hi-pile robot vacuum cleaners use longer bristles to get down to the base of your carpet. The iRobot Roomba 690 brings the best of both worlds. The 3-stage cleaning system uses multi-surface brushes designed to dig into your carpet fibers just as easily as they sweep over hardwood. Plus, the Auto-Adjust Cleaning Head adapts its height to ensure the brushes keep close contact with your carpet, no matter the length of the fibers.
Other cool features of the Roomba 690 include Dirt Detectors that sense higher-traffic areas of your home where debris tends to concentrate. It will adjust the cleaning pattern to focus on those areas. You can control your Roomba with an app on your smartphone, or connect it with your Alexa or Google Assistant for voice-activated operation.
- Compatible with the smartphone app, Alexa, and Google Assistant
- Extra suction power with 3-stage cleaning system to get to the base of carpet fibers
- Same superior navigational capabilities and obstacle sensing you expect from the Roomba brand
- The obstacle sensors aren’t great at judging furniture clearance, causing the vacuum to get stuck under low-sitting couches or beds
- The charging base is incredibly lightweight, so much so that it slides around on tile/hardwood floors, and the vacuum can’t dock itself. Reviewers recommend getting an anti-slip mat, self-adhesive pads, or keeping the docking station on carpet to avoid this issue
6. Shark ION R75 Vacuum
The best robot vacuum cleaners for pet owners
Brand: Shark | Weight: 5.51 pounds | Cleaning Time: 60 mins | Dimensions: 12.6 x 12.6 x 2.6 inches | Price: 💰💰💰
Shark is another well-respected brand of vacuum cleaner, and their ION R75 continues to prove their quality. There is plenty of debate on Shark vs. Roomba when it comes to automatic vacuum cleaners. This particular Shark model is a bit smaller and shorter than typical Roombas. It can more easily navigate into (and out of) tighter spaces and lower-clearance furniture. Getting stuck is one of the biggest complaints from Roomba lovers.
As with Roomba vacuums, you can operate the Shark ION R75 with a smartphone app. The Shark Ion Robot mobile app lets you create a custom cleaning schedule, remotely activate your vacuum, and track its progress no matter where you are. You can also connect the device with an Alexa or Google Home device for voice-activated operation.
This Shark automatic vacuum cleaner uses a similar tri-brush system to the Roomba that is suited to both carpet and hardwood floors. But we were especially impressed with the ION R75’s suction power when it comes to pet hair. One reviewer reported white-glove-clean floors despite having a large, long-haired dog and 3 long-hair cats!
- Powerful suction with tri-brush system for superior pet-hair clean-up
- Replacement parts and filters are incredibly affordable as compared to other brands
- Comes with plenty of BotBoundary strips that allow you to block off entire areas that you don’t want cleaned
- The BotBoundary strips are a dark brown magnetic tape that some reviewers find unsightly
- The durable wheels, while great for navigating over bumps and between surfaces, are a little clunky and noisy
7. iRobot Roomba 960 Robot Vacuum with Wi-Fi Connectivity
The best robot vacuum cleaners for allergies
Brand: iRobot | Weight: 8.6 pounds | Cleaning Time: 75 mins | Dimensions: 13.8 x 13.8 x 3.6 inches | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
To no surprise, Roomba makes our list again with their iRobot Roomba 960. With great Wi-Fi connectivity and its user-friendly iRobot Home app, this automatic vacuum is super easy to set up and operate. The iRobot 960 uses a camera for navigation in addition to infrared sensors, making it more efficient than other standard devices.
Unlike the previous 690 model, this model features the Lifetime Performance menu, a cleaning preferences menu that allows you to customize almost everything about your Roomba. You can adjust the number of times a given room needs to be cleaned, and view detailed stats about each cleaning session the vacuum has performed. Plus, the iRobot Clean Map visualization smart mapping system gives you a map to see everywhere the robot has cleaned. It uses iAdapt technology and vSLAM navigation to precisely capture thousands of measurements every millisecond so it can optimize coverage for your home.
The multi-surface brushes of the iRobot 960 are made of soft rubber that won’t tangle in pet hair. They are especially efficient at capturing danger and other allergens. With the high-efficiency internal filter, this unit traps up to 99% of cat and dog allergens. It also targets seasonal allergens, making it perfect for the Spring runny nose season.
- Multi-surface rubber brushes to capture long pet hair and all sorts of allergens
- Superior navigation system with camera and infrared sensors and smart mapping for optimal coverage
- Lifetime Performance menu allows you to customize your robot vacuum experience and keeps track of your habits to create specialized programs and schedules just for you
- By far the most expensive robot vacuum on our list, and one of the most expensive ones on the market
- With an average of 70 mins of cleaning time, it doesn’t last nearly as long as some much less expensive options
Do Robotic Vacuum Cleaners Work?
Many people have yet to invest in a robotic vacuum because they’re skeptical of the performance. And these people are justified in their hesitation. The truth is, while automatic vacuum cleaners are amazing and useful machines, they still have their faults. To get the best results, you have to use the vacuum as it is intended.
If you’re thinking you can run the vacuum once or twice a week, you won’t find robot vacuums effective. Even a few days can allow dirt, hair, and debris to build up that may overwhelm your robot. But, if you run your automatic vacuum multiple times throughout the week (or better yet, once a day), you’ll find it keeps your floors cleaner than you ever thought they could be.
What to Look For
Before deciding which of the best robot vacuum cleaners is right for you, there are some things you’ll want to consider.
The most important aspect of picking from the best robot vacuum cleaners is what flooring they will be used on. It does no good to purchase the model that is best for carpet if you only have hardwood floors.
Most models will work well on hard flooring, but it gets tricky when dealing with carpets. For a low-pile carpet vacuum cleaner, you should be able to use almost any of the robot vacuum cleaners on the market.
But, if you have a fluffier, medium-pile carpet, then you need a little more suction power. This is going to rule out most of the lower-priced options. If you have a high-pile or even shag carpet, then you’ll need to look for the more heavy-duty robot vacuums.
Evaluate Your Room
Take a look at your domain and determine how large of a cleaning area you have, and you’re your cleaner will face. For multiple rooms with various pieces of furniture around, you’ll want to choose a robot vacuum with high-tech sensors, so it can avoid obstacles with ease.
If you want an automatic vacuum to clean a small, simple room, and you don’t mind moving it from place to place, then you should do fine with one of the lower range models. Never underestimate how much the vacuum will have to navigate. It will only cause you to get frustrated every time you must rescue it from a jam.
Finally, make a list of the features that are important to you. While you could opt for a basic, no-frills vacuum, you might not be satisfied down the road when you have to spend extra time cleaning, changing filters, or rescuing your robot from a ledge.
Decide which of the most common features are important to you.
- Do you want the vacuum to locate and recharge itself?
- Are you in need of a system that can be scheduled for when you aren’t home?
Some vacuums even allow you to block off certain areas that you don’t want the vacuum to go, like near your dog’s kennel. It’s also worth noting which units you can control via a smartphone app, or your Alexa or Google Home systems.
No one can determine for you which of these models are the best robot vacuum cleaners for your particular needs. You need to evaluate the price, features, and overall design to find what works best for you. Then, you can stop worrying about vacuuming every day and get back to enjoying life a little more.