Beginning a new workout regimen doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. You don’t need an exorbitant gym membership or tons of fancy equipment (although these can certainly be nice to have). On the contrary, one of the best jump ropes is all that’s required for an effective strength and cardio-training workout — and they start at just $5!
Yes, you read that correctly. For the price of a grande Frappuccino from Starbucks, you can burn (rather than gain) 500 calories in half an hour! Jumping rope not only burns calories faster than swimming or jogging, but it also increases coordination and heart health while building strength throughout your body.
Our favorite jump rope for conditioning is the WOD Nation Attack Speed Jump Rope for its overall quality and affordable pricing. But there are lots of excellent options on the market. Let’s check them out!
Our Top Picks: Best Jump Ropes
We’ll save the long-winded details for later and get right to the ropes:
- Best Overall: WOD Nation Attack Speed Jump Rope. With its blend of high-quality components, multitude of accessories, and remarkable price point, the WOD Nation Attack Speed is our favorite jump rope overall.
- Best Budget: SPORTBIT Jump Rope. It’s lightweight, effective, and costs less than $10. What more could you ask for in a budget jump rope?
- Best Luxury: Crossrope – Get Lean. The Crossrope is more than a jump rope. It’s an entire system that comes with multiple rope weights and a targeted workout app for all your fitness needs.
- Best for CrossFit: Buddy Lee Aero Speed Rope. Are you a CrossFit junkie? Go for the best with Buddy Lee’s dynamic Aero Speed jump rope, guaranteed to deliver results.
- Best for General Workouts: Rogue Fitness Jump Rope. If you’re seeking something tried-and-true, you can’t go wrong with Rogue Fitness’ specialized jump rope.
- Best for Beginners: DEGOL Skipping Rope. Thanks to its moderate weight, memory foam handles, and overall performance, DEGOL will have you skipping rope, not your workout.
- Best for Kids: Champion Sports Segmented Jump Rope. Remember playing double dutch on the playground? Relive the glory days with the Champion Sports Jump Rope (or just gift it to your kids).
- Best Adjustable: SKLZ Adjustable Jump Rope. Improve your jump roping skills with an adaptable model that’s customizable to suit your needs.
- Best Speed: GRDE High-Speed Skipping Rope. Prefer to go fast? Work up a sweat and lose weight with the GRDE Skipping Rope, a quality aluminum jump rope with all the bells and whistles.
- Best Smart: TANGRAM Rookie – Smart Jump Rope. A smart jump rope? Really? Absolutely — connect the TANGRAM Rookie to your smartphone or watch via Bluetooth, and track your fitness journey over time.
1. WOD Nation Attack Speed Jump Rope
The best jump rope overall
Manufacturer: WOD Nation | Construction: ABS Handles / Surgical Steel Rope | Length: 11’ | Weight: Medium | Price: 💰💰
Ready to take your workout to the next level? All you need is the WOD Nation Attack Speed Jump Rope, and you’re ready to shed those pounds and pack on the muscle.
Okay, it may also take lots of practice and hard work (most people conveniently leave that part out). But the WOD Nation is seriously the tool you need to begin the process.
The WOD Nation Attack Speed features top-tier ABS handles and a surgical steel rope that click-clacks on the ground with unexpected ferocity. And it couldn’t be simpler to use! The unique fold-over design lets you make size adjustments on the fly so that you can cinch the perfect fit in seconds. The best part? The adjustment mechanism works whether you use the 2.2mm speed cable or the 3.3mm monster cable, the latter of which helps you build muscle.
Take hold of the colorful grips, and try this jump rope on for size. It won’t take long for you to realize that it’s one of the best jump ropes for boxing and dedicated fitness fiends.
- Choose from six stunning colors
- Top-notch craftsmanship with excellent performance
- Comes with two cables: a 2.2mm speed cable and a 3.3mm monster cable; also includes a storage bag
- Very fast rope, not so suitable for beginners
- Not a true weighted rope — for serious bodybuilders, you’ll want a heavier model
2. SPORTBIT Jump Rope
The best jump rope on a budget
Manufacturer: SPORTBIT | Construction: Plastic Handles & Rope | Length: 10’ 4” | Weight: Light | Price: 💰
If you’re on a tight budget and don’t want to make sacrifices on the quality of your workout, then we highly recommended the SPORTBIT Jump Rope. This jump rope may be made entirely of plastic, but don’t discount it yet.
First of all, you can achieve several jumps per second with this rope due to its light weight. You can also practice longer without tiring your arms or legs since this jump rope is so easy to use.
With a plastic dowel, 5-inch handles, and a weight of fewer than 4 ounces, the SPORTBIT Jump Rope is a reliable choice overall.
- Comes with a jump rope ebook for beginners
- Lightweight, durable, and easy to use and store
- Easy-to-cut plastic cable is suitable for athletes of all heights
- Tangles relatively easily
- Lightweight design is not suitable in windy conditions
3. Crossrope – Get Lean
The best luxury jump rope
Manufacturer: Crossrope | Construction: Metal Handles / Steel & PVC Rope | Length: 8’ to 9’ 6” | Weight: Light | Price: 💰💰💰💰
Crossrope is more than just a jump rope — it’s an entire platform.
What do we mean by platform? Well, Crossrope is a jump rope system that lets you customize workouts to your specific preferences. Clip different size ropes on and off the metal handles to accomplish different goals, such as weight loss or muscle gain. Combine the different ropes with the iOS and Android app to gain access to a vast array of different workouts designed to help you step up your game. And enjoy an intuitive, fun workout unlike any you’ve ever experienced.
Of course, you have to pay out the wazoo to enter into the Crossrope platform — near $100, no less! But it’s worth it for serious jumpers seeking to take their workout up a notch and gain access to a wonderful group of like-minded athletes.
- Excellent overall performance
- Crossrope app with tons of workouts
- Patented Fast Clip System is easy to use and lets you target different muscle groups
- Quite expensive, and each accessory costs extra
- Some QC issues, with small manufacturing quirks (such as shoddy seam work)
4. Buddy Lee Aero Speed Rope
The best jump rope for CrossFit
Manufacturer: Buddy Lee | Construction: Aluminum Handles / PVC Rope | Length: 8’ to 9’ 6” | Weight: Medium | Price: 💰💰💰
If you’re seeking one of the best CrossFit jump ropes on the market, look no further than the Buddy Lee Aero.
This rope boasts a ton of top-tier features, including a patented Swivel Bearing System that eliminates drag and friction. Combined with the moderate-weight PVC cord that cracks like a whip, this rope offers smooth turns and up to six jumps per second!
This jump rope measures nearly 10 feet long, but you can easily change the cord’s size, shortening or lengthening it as needed. If you want to install new bearings and other parts, you can. With that level of customization, you can enjoy this Buddy Lee jump rope for years to come.
- Can achieve up to six jumps per second
- Durable aluminum handles and PVC rope
- Swivel Bearing System provides smooth, even performance
- On the pricier side
- Handles are extremely small
5. Rogue Fitness Speed Rope
The best jump rope for working out
Manufacturer: Rogue | Construction: Plastic Handles / Steel & Plastic Rope | Length: 10’ | Weight: Light | Price: 💰💰
When looking for the best jump ropes, you can’t go wrong with the Rogue Fitness Speed Rope.
This reliable jump rope has been an excellent seller for years due to its low price and overall reliability. It comes with standard plastic handles and a steel rope covered with a plastic coating for safety and extra durability. Ideal for double unders and tricks, you should have no trouble gathering speed and performing as many rotations as you need. It’s one of the best jump ropes for working out, bar none.
- Fantastic performance for CrossFit
- Speedy rope is ideal for high-intensity cardio
- Excellent durability with reports noting the rope lasts years
- Some found the handles to be a little long
- Recent reviews have noted a downgrade in quality
6. DEGOL Skipping Rope
The best jump rope for beginners
Manufacturer: DEGOL | Construction: Plastic & Memory Foam Handles / Braided Steel & PVC Rope | Length: 9’ | Weight: Light | Price: 💰
The DEGOL Skipping Rope should definitely be considered when looking for the best jump ropes. It includes a braided steel rope with PVC coating that twists and glides as you power through your workout. Simply take hold of the 6-inch memory foam handles, and you’re in business — the ball bearing system ensures pristine rotations throughout your routine.
Although not as heavy as some other jump ropes on this list, the PowerSkip is a reliable lightweight option. And, you can adjust it to your frame by snipping the rope to size with a pair of wire cutters. It’s a bit of a hassle, sure, but at this price point and level of quality, the extra work is worth it.
- Very affordable considering price
- Six-inch memory foam handles w/ steel-based rope
- Lightning-fast lightweight design provides a stellar workout
- Requires a wire cutter to adjust length
- Some reviewers report that the grips slide off during workouts
7. Champion Sports Segmented Jump Rope
The best jump rope for kids
Manufacturer: Champion Sports | Construction: Plastic Handles & Rope | Length: 6’ to 16’ | Weight: Light | Price: 💰
Remember those colorful beaded jump ropes you used as a kid? Well, they’re still around today, and they’re just as fun as ever!
The Champion Sports Segmented Jump Rope comes in lengths ranging from 6 to 16 feet. Naturally, the shorter lengths are for single jumpers, while the longer lengths are perfect for those iconic double dutch competitions. With their bright colors and fun designs, these jump ropes are an easy way to encourage cardio for kids, while teaching rhythm, coordination, and dedication.
To be fair, these ropes aren’t the best option for adult endurance training — but then, you probably knew that. Still, don’t underestimate the power of any jump rope, as they all pack a wallop. When you pick one up for your child, why not join in the fun and buy two? They’re only about $5 a pop.
- Comes in a variety of lengths and colors
- Lots of fun and great for kids (and kids at heart)
- Beads create a clickety-clack each time they touch the ground, which helps teach rhythm
- Some found the rope too light
- Beaded design won’t stand up against abuse
8. SKLZ Adjustable Jump Rope
The best adjustable jump rope
Manufacturer: SKLZ | Construction: Plastic & Foam Handles / Plastic Rope | Length: 11’ | Weight: Medium | Price: 💰💰
Looking to switch up and your training with an adjustable jump rope? The SKLZ Adjustable Jump Rope is everything you need and more.
At roughly 11′ long and 10 ounces in weight, this rope serves as an excellent starting point for your workout. Try a few rotations to figure out what you need, then remove the end caps, coil the rope to size, and experience a custom workout that feels great. The center-mounted swivel delivers smooth rotations every time, and the padded handles feel great while helping to reduce sweat buildup.
Plus, SKLZ is a highly respected name in the workout equipment industry, meaning you’re in good hands.
- Comfortable grip
- Fantastic mid-weight option
- Smooth movement every rotation thanks to center-mounted swivel
- Rope may break after months of heavy use
- Some reviewers would have preferred a lighter rope
9. GRDE High-Speed Skipping Rope
The best speed jump rope
Manufacturer: GRDE | Construction: Aluminum & Silicone Handles / Steel & Plastic Rope | Length: 10’ | Weight: Medium | Price: 💰💰
Seeking a speed jump rope that’s fast as a mare, and just as beautiful? The GRDE High-Speed Skipping Rope is one of the best speed jump ropes on the market.
The GRDE sports an all-black design with the highest-quality components on this list — including aluminum and silicone handles, as well as plastic-coated steel rope. The rope comes in a length of 10 feet, but it’s easy to adjust thanks to the self-locking design that adapts to your height in mere seconds.
As far as actual performance goes, this jump rope is unrivaled. It features 360-degree ball bearings, which offer a smooth rotation every time around, and help you jump faster than you’ve ever experienced before. Naturally, this also makes the GRDE one of the best jump ropes for double unders.
- Easily adjustable with self-locking mechanism
- Comes with optional weight kit for increasing resistance
- High-quality components combined with 360-degree ball bearings deliver stellar performance
- Tangles very easily
- QC issues with mismatched bearings
10. TANGRAM Rookie – Smart Jump Rope
The best smart jump rope
Manufacturer: TANGRAM | Construction: ABS Handles / PVC Rope | Length: 10’ | Weight: Medium | Price: 💰💰💰
Last but not least on our list of best jump ropes is this rope from TANGRAM.
While all the other jump ropes on this list are great in their own way, the TANGRAM Rookie – Smart Jump Rope is the only one with digital capabilities combined with a standalone app.
Connect via Bluetooth to the mobile app on iOS, Android, or Apple Watch, and sync your workout with the power of modern technology. This rope keeps track of everything — including rotations and calories burned. The app also encourages you to keep practicing, with reminders and awards that’ll get you motivated and ready for action. Oh, and the rope is entirely adjustable, to boot!
Unfortunately, you’ll have to change the battery out once or twice a year. But that’s a small price to pay for such performance.
- Comes in four stylish colors
- Adjustable jump rope looks and feels great
- Connect to the SmartRope app for real-time fitness tracking
- Requires separate batteries
- Some users have had problems syncing with the app
What to Look for in the Best Jump Ropes
What should you look for when choosing the best jump ropes? There are three primary elements to consider: construction, specifications, and bonus features.
When we talk about the jump rope’s construction, we mean the materials and overall craftsmanship.
Now, jump ropes feature two main components: the handles and the rope itself. The overall quality of these two parts is highly dependent on what the manufacturer incorporates into the build.
For handles, the most common base materials are plastic and metal, but there’s a spectrum within each of these categories. Some ropes boast cheap plastic parts, which keeps the costs down and reduces weight (ideal for speed jumping). Others feature high-quality ABS plastic, which is far more durable and hefty. In terms of metal, the most common alloy is aluminum for its light weight and exceptional stability.
Handles also come with various coatings and finishes, including memory foam and silicone. Memory foam is going to feel more comfortable during longer routines, but silicone provides a level of moisture-resistance that’s hard to beat.
As for the rope itself, you’ll find plastic, rubber, and steel ropes, as well as steel ropes with PVC coatings. Plastic and rubber ropes are the cheapest and lightest weight. Steel ropes are a more durable and performance-oriented option, but it hurts like hell if you accidentally hit yourself with them. The best of both worlds? PVC-coated steel ropes, which deliver a fantastic blend of safety and performance.
Specifications refer to the jump rope’s length, weight, and thickness.
Jump ropes come in all different lengths, ranging from under 6′ to 16′ and beyond (the latter being suitable for multiple-person use). The thing is, we’re all different heights, right? So how do you choose the right fit?
Fortunately, most jump ropes are adjustable. Some you have to cut to length, while others have adjustment mechanisms built-in.
How do you find the best jump rope length for you? It’s easy! Simply step on the center of any jump rope with both feet, and pull the ends upwards towards your shoulders. The end of the cable should stop around your armpit. Simply snip or adjust the jump rope to length, attach the handles, and you’re in business. Pretty simple, right?
What about jump rope weight?
Well, the ideal weight depends on your intended use. If you plan to jump for speed and weight loss, a lighter weight around 3 to 6 ounces is better-suited for fast rotations. If you plan to jump for muscle conditioning, a heavier option around a pound is more ideal. And, if you’re looking for a nice mid-weight option, 9 ounces hits that sweet spot.
Jump ropes come in all different weights, and some even include extra weights that you can attach to the handles or rope to amp up the difficulty.
Most speed jump ropes are a few millimeters, while weighted jump ropes can reach half an inch wide! Three millimeters or so is an ideal starting point for beginners and intermediate users alike.
3. Bonus Features
We’d be remiss to leave out all the extra features you can find in today’s jump ropes. When choosing your rope, be on the lookout for things like:
- Tangle-free designs
- Specialized bearings
- Clip and lock systems
- Easy adjustment mechanisms
- Smart functionality and apps
These features can take your workout to the next level, all while making your routine easier and more enjoyable. Of course, these extra features come at a cost. But they can be well worth it when trying to find the best jump ropes for your particular needs.
For this guide on jump ropes, our team spent 4 hours researching the most popular options from over 35 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about one hundred user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each rope. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 10 jump ropes on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.