Do you spend entire days sitting in front of a computer? According to the Mayo Clinic, the toll this takes on the body is astronomical. As a result, you may experience back pain, fatigue, low productivity, or any number of other frustrating symptoms. Fortunately, there’s a simple solution that doesn’t break the bank. The best office chairs make a world of difference. There is no comparison from enhanced ergonomics that improve posture and decrease pain to durable designs built to withstand years of daily use. If you’re using a computer, you need a seating option built with your situation in mind.
We put together a list of our 15 favorite office chairs and tried to include multiple styles and options that work for every budget. At the top of our list is the Duramont Ergonomic & Adjustable Office Chair — it’s hands-down the best office chair under 300 dollars that you can find, and it can easily compete with chairs that cost twice as much. This Duramont chair is a classic executive style chair with a high mesh back and an unbelievable amount of adjustability that will keep you comfortable throughout the day.
Our Top Picks
Are you on the edge of your seat? Here’s a quick look at our 15 favorites.
|Best Overall: Duramont Ergonomic & Adjustable Office Chair.|
This high-quality chair rivals models that are twice as expensive, and just about everything on this executive style chair is adjustable.
|Best Eco-Friendly: Ergohuman Mesh & Chrome Swivel Chair.|
Save your back and the environment: 97 percent of this chair comes from recyclable components, and it’s one of the best office chairs for back pain.
|Best Budget: BestOffice Ergonomic Office Chair.|
If you’re on a budget, this mesh mid-back chair is a great value that comes with built-in lumbar support.
|Best Under 50: HCB Ergonomic Office Chair.|
This is a fantastic option for anyone looking for an inexpensive ergonomic office chair.
|Best Under 100: Smugdesk Lumbar Office Chair.|
This mid-back chair is an excellent choice for warm office environments with its breathable padded seat and mesh back.
|Best Under 200: Space Seating AirGrid Managers Office Chair.|
With its breathable mesh back, eco-leather padded seat, and built-in lumbar support, this chair would be an excellent addition to any office.
|Best for Posture: Gaiam Balance Ball Office Chair.|
If you want the best armless office chair that will help you improve your balance and keep your body active, this hybrid chair is your best bet.
|Best Multipurpose: Homall Multipurpose Office Chair.|
Whether you’re looking for a classic gaming chair or a comfortable seat for your office, this chair is a great choice.
|Best Mid-Back Mesh: Flash Furniture Mesh Office Chair.|
This classic style office chair offers lots of adjustable features and a mesh back design to keep you cool.
|Best Reclining With Footrest: RESPAWN 110 Racing Style Chair.|
Put your feet up and relax or get busy working with this versatile executive gaming chair.
|Best Weight-Bearing: Steelcase Gesture Chair.|
This is a high-end ergonomic chair with lots of adjustable features that can hold up to 400 pounds.
|Best for Hip Pain: Steelcase Leap Ergonomic Office Chair.|
This breathable upholstered chair is endlessly adjustable and designed to move with you.
|Best Luxury: Herman Miller Aeron Chair.|
Renowned as one of the best office chairs in the industry, this chair offers the best combination of ergonomics, materials, and overall value.
|Best Style: Volans Home Office Chair Mid Century Modern.|
This task chair has a unique chessboard bentwood back that adds a mid-century style to any office.
|Best Affordable Leather: Amazon Basics Leather Office Chair.|
This mid-back desk chair offers a classic leather look and comfort without a hefty price tag.
15 Best Office Chairs: A Closer Look
Here’s a closer look at our top picks.
1. Duramont Ergonomic & Adjustable Office Chair
The best office chair
Brand: Duramont | Type: Executive | Lumbar Support: Yes | Maximum Weight: 330| Price: 💰💰💰
With thick seat cushions, breathable mesh fabric, and ample lumbar support, the Duramont Office Chair is among the most ergonomic on our list. Moreover, this high-quality seat boasts several adjustment settings, allowing you to change the height, tilt, and even the amount of pressure on the lower back! It’s among the best ergonomic office chairs for comfort and pain relief.
- Good back support
- Works for taller peopleComfortable wide seat
- Wheels don’t work well on carpet
- The seat cushion is somewhat stiff
2. Ergohuman Mesh & Chrome Swivel Chair
The best eco-friendly office chair
Brand: Ergohuman | Type: Executive | Lumbar Support: Yes | Maximum Weight: 250 | Price: 💰💰💰💰
This is where the chairs on our list go from great to unbelievable. First of all, let me just point out that 97 percent of this chair comes from recyclable components. Ergohuman paves the way with the high back mesh & chrome swivel chair that’s got all the bells and whistles. It’s loaded with adjustable cushions, contoured lumbar supports, synchro-tile mechanisms, and so much more. Not only is this an incredible comfort for your back, but it’s also the best office chair for neck pain.
- Good back and neck support
- The chair frame is very sturdy
- Lots of positions and very adjustable
- Not great for shorter people
- Armrests don’t lock into position very well
3. BestOffice Ergonomic Office Chair
The best budget office chair
Brand: BestOffice | Type: Mid-Back | Lumbar Support: Yes | Maximum Weight: 250 | Price: 💰
The BestOffice Ergonomic Office Chair is an excellent option for folks on a budget. As such, this office chair provides good ergonomics thanks to its built-in lumbar support and breathable mesh exterior. It also features fully adjustable height and tilt mechanisms, as well as a durable 360-degree swivel base. Best of all? You can expect a 15 minute assembly time for easy setup.
- Easy to put together
- Decent back support for the price
- It works for people with small to average frames
- Somewhat unstable
4. HCB Ergonomic Office Chair
The best office chair under 50
Brand: HCB | Type: Mid-Back | Lumbar Support: Yes | Maximum Weight: 250 | Price: 💰
This budget chair has a lot to offer at a low price. Not only does it have a clean, modern look, but you can swivel a full 360-degrees with the durable caster wheels. Feel free to rock back and forth at various tension levels or lock it in place at your preferred tilt. It sports a mesh back to keep you cool and an ergonomic design for your support. It also comes in several classic colors.
- 1The wheels roll smoothly
- Superior quality for the price
- It doesn’t take up a lot of room
- Slightly wobbly
- The seat cushion is thin
5. Smugdesk Lumbar Office Chair
The best office chair under 100
Brand: Smugdesk | Type: Mid-Back | Lumbar Support: Yes | Maximum Weight: 270 | Price: 💰
Are you looking for the best office chair for lower back pain? The Smugdesk Lumbar Office Chair is just the ticket! Designed with your back and overall posture in mind, you can expect exceptional padded support for quick pain relief. Plus, the breathable mesh fabrics and ergonomic frame guarantee exceptional comfort for hours at a time.
- The chair is quiet
- Sturdy metal base
- The mesh back keeps you cool
- The armrests are uncomfortable
- The seat is short and a bit narrow
6. Space Seating AirGrid Managers Office Chair
The best office chair under 200
Brand: Space Seating | Type: Mid-Back | Lumbar Support: Yes | Maximum Weight: 250 | Price: 💰💰
What happens when you combine style with comfort? You get the Space Seating AirGrid Managers Chair, of course! This comfortable seat features eco-friendly leather, one-touch seat adjustments, and PU padded seating for unrivaled ergonomics. Also, the back mesh provides ample ventilation for all types of environments.
- Decent mid-back support
- Extensive range for height adjustments
- Has tension adjustment and lock for rocking feature
- Armrests sit far forward and can hit the desk
- Armrests are a bit shaky at the highest position
7. Gaiam Balance Ball Office Chair
The best office chair for posture
Brand: Gaiam | Type: Functional | Lumbar Support: No | Maximum Weight: 300 | Price: 💰
Designed to improve posture and overall balance, the Gaiam Balance Ball Office Chair is an excellent option for health-oriented shoppers. It helps boost energy levels at work by supporting an active body and mind, resulting in higher productivity and happiness levels. Plus, the inflatable ball is easy to set up and comes in 9 different colors.
- Helps with posture
- It helps you stay alert without being uncomfortable
- Getting the separate extenders makes this work for tall people
- The ball is not cat-proof
- The materials are not super high quality
8. Homall Multipurpose Office Chair
The best multipurpose office chair
Brand: Homall | Type: Executive | Lumbar Support: Yes | Maximum Weight: 300 | Price: 💰💰
While the Homall Multipurpose Office Chair is designed with home offices and game rooms in mind, the sleek design will fit in anywhere! Plus, the chair boasts high-density shaping foam that conforms to your body and an executive frame that offers all-day comfort — a great choice all-around.
- Good padding
- Inexpensive gaming chair
- Both pillows are adjustable and removable
- Arms are not adjustable
- Too small for taller people
9. Flash Furniture Mesh Office Chair
The best mid-back mesh office chair
Brand: Flash Furniture | Type: Mid-Back | Lumbar Support: Yes | Maximum Weight: 250 | Price: 💰💰
The Flash Furniture Office Chair is number one in many different categories. First, it boasts an exceptional mesh fabric backing for ventilation and comfort. Second, it provides some of the best lumbar support in the price range. And third, it features several different adjustment mechanisms to deliver the perfect fit for all body types.
- Nice armrest height adjustability
- Good seat depth for shorter people
- Lock the seat into your preferred position or rock back and forth
- Stiff seat
- Not super comfortable for leaning back
10. RESPAWN 110 Racing Style Gaming Chair
The best reclining office chair
Brand: RESPAWN | Type: Executive | Lumbar Support: Yes | Maximum Weight: 275 | Price: 💰💰💰
This executive gaming chair has the versatility to keep you comfortable for lengthy gaming sessions or long days at the office. It’s also perfect for relaxation — just recline into your preferred position and put your feet up. With an adjustable seat height of up to 22.5 inches and a seat depth of 21.25 inches, it’s the best office chair for a tall person who’s looking for a chair that will work in all kinds of situations.
- Smooth-rolling wheels
- Comfortable high back
- The footrest isn’t noticeable when you’re not using it
- Arms are a bit wobbly
- Does not breathe well for hot days
11. Steelcase Gesture Chair
The best weight-bearing office chair
Brand: Steelcase | Type: Mid-Back | Lumbar Support: Yes | Maximum Weight: 400 | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
Heralded as one of the best computer chairs around, the Steelcase Gesture Chair is uniquely designed to imitate the contours of the human body. This means that it works beautifully alongside a wide range of postures and work activities. Combined with intuitive adjustments and a built-in core equalizer, comfort has never looked so good.
This chair can also hold up to 400 pounds, making it the best office chair for a heavy person on our list.
- Good middle back support
- High-quality materials throughout
- Arms are fully adjustable to almost any position
- No lumbar adjustment
- Arms don’t lock into place
12. Steelcase Leap Ergonomic Office Chair
The best office chair for hip pain
Brand: Steelcase | Type: Mid-Back | Lumbar Support: Yes | Maximum Weight: 300 | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
Another fantastic offering by Steelcase, the Leap Ergonomic is the best office chair for back support and ergonomics thanks to its LiveBack and NaturalGlide Technologies. What’s this mean for you? Experience a perfectly padded seat that contours to your every movement while maintaining your posture and supporting your entire body. It’s their best-selling model that’s sure to deliver.
- It has adjustable seat depth
- The chair fabric is comfortable and breathes well
- The seat moves in tandem with the back when reclining
- The seat is a little firm for some users
- Armrests don’t completely lock into place
13. Herman Miller Aeron Chair
The best luxury office chair
Brand: Herman Miller | Type: Mid-Back | Lumbar Support: Yes | Maximum Weight: 350 | Price: 💰💰💰💰💰
The Aeron is known the world over for its exceptional aesthetics and unrivaled ergonomics. Designed by Herman Miller and made in the USA, this seat features a full-suspension support system that provides all day comfort and relief. This is the best office chair for sciatica pain. This model also boasts extras like Harmonic Tilt, a tension system, and so much more. You really do have to see it to believe it.
- Design: Mid-back chair
- Material: Iconic pellicle fabric
- Perfect for: Executives, high-end offices, & comfort-oriented home offices
- Features: Suspension seating, harmonic tilt, built-in tension system, and more
- The seat angle is adjustable
- Lumbar support is wonderful
- You can set the level of recline to stop at your preferred angle
- Seat depth isn’t adjustable
- The arm width isn’t adjustable
14. Volans Home Office Chair Mid Century Modern
The best office chair style
Brand: Volans | Type: Task | Lumbar Support: No | Maximum Weight: 265 | Price: 💰💰
If you want a stylish chair for short tasks, this Volans model has a great look with its chessboard bentwood back and pleated leather upholstery. This swivel chair offers adjustable height, ultra-thick padding, and a stainless steel frame. If you’ve been searching for the best office chair without wheels, this model gives you the choice of a wheeled version or a stationary chair. It also comes in a variety of color options to better match your decor.
- Sturdy metal frame
- Very stylish looking
- Height adjusts easily
- Not very ergonomic
- Seat depth is a bit short
15. Amazon Basics Classic Leather Office Chair
The best affordable office chair
Brand: Amazon Basics | Type: Mid-Back | Lumbar Support: Yes | Maximum Weight: 275 | Price: 💰
The Amazon Basics brand is known for its high-quality goods at affordable prices, and their Classic Leather Office Chair is no exception! Sit in luxury atop genuine bonded leather padding that’s designed to accommodate up to 275 pounds. This fully adjustable and ultra-durable chair is among the best money can buy! And, this model offers one of the best white office chairs in leather that you can find. However, if white leather isn’t quite your style, it also comes in a classic black or brown.
- Looks expensive
- Cushy elbow pads
- Comfortable for short stints
- There’s no tilt lock
- The seat cushion wears out
What to Look for in the Best Office Chairs
Having trouble deciding on the right model? Don’t sweat it. We’ve written the following guide to give you some helpful tips on choosing the best office chair for your setup. Consider the following:
- Intended use
If the chair is for light office use, go with an affordable mid-back design (we don’t typically recommend task chairs unless you need one for a specific purpose). If it’s for an office where you spend most of your day, or if you have clients stop by, an executive chair has the comfort and style you’ll need to boost your image and productivity.
In any case, be sure to consider the material construction of your office chair, as you’ll need a durable unit that matches your existing setup. Also, consider any features you’d like and balance that with the cost of the chair. If you’re teetering between a couple of options, see if you can stretch the budget just a little. After all, this is an investment in your health and comfort.
What Are Office Chairs, Specifically?
What makes an office chair different from other types of seating? Well, office chairs are designed with the desk worker in mind. To that end, they typically offer ergonomic designs, height adjustment mechanisms, and swivel bases with wheels. This allows users to sit on the chairs for hours at a time with little fatigue or chance of injury — an important feature for full-time workers or heavy computer users. Additionally, office chair designs offer mobility and improved range of motion.
Types of Office Chairs
There are several different types and styles of office chairs on the market. That said, you can break down the most prominent models into the following categories:
- Task Chair. Task chairs are office chairs that offer limited or no back support. These include stools, low-back chairs, and similar varieties.
- Mid-back Chair. Mid-back chairs offer better back support than task chairs, thanks to built-in pads for the lumbar and upper back regions.
- Executive Chair. The most expensive office chairs (executive or full-back chairs) provide ample ergonomic support to the entire body.
- Functional Chair. Functional chairs are slightly different, as they’re designed to serve a specific purpose for the user. Examples of functional office chairs include sitting balls that improve posture and massaging chairs for work use.
Regardless of the type you choose, many benefits come along with using an office chair.
Benefits of the Best Office Chairs
Let’s look at a few of the top reasons you should consider picking up a new office chair. The best office chairs offer:
- Improved Health & Safety. Safety first! The best office chairs improve posture and spinal health, allowing you to focus on the task in front of you.
- Exceptional Comfort. Replacing an outdated seat or establishing a new ergonomic setup will leave you comfortable (and happier) all day long.
- Increased Productivity. When you’re not worried about your health or fretting about uncomfortable seating, you’re much more likely to get work done. It’s a no brainer!
- A Great Investment. If you’re at your computer all day, every day, can you really afford not to invest in your comfort and wellbeing? Besides, the top options on our list begin at exceptional prices for every budget.
Best of all? The best office chairs come with their own unique set of specifications and features. In fact, you can find options with ergonomic armrests, leather or breathable mesh fabrics, attractive modern designs, and more.
For this guide on the best office chairs, our team spent 12 hours researching the most popular options from over 20 brands and manufacturers, big and small. We then read about one hundred user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each unit. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 15 office chairs on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.