Steam mops clean multiple kinds of surfaces and can get into the tough-to-reach nooks and crannies. They are super easy to use and take a lot of the elbow grease out of cleaning… well… grease. The market is packed with different brands and models to choose from, with different specialties and accessories. So, we went ahead and did the legwork for you and picked the top 6 best steam mops of 2021.
If you’re looking to add a powerful tool to your spring-cleaning arsenal, read on to find out the best steam mops for you.
Our Top Picks: Best Steam Mops
Here’s a quick overview of our top picks:
- Best Overall: Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop. This magnificent machine holds plenty of water, has a super-long power cord, and a flip-down Easy Scrubber for stubborn grout stains.
- Best Eco-Friendly: Bissell PowerFresh Slim Steam Mop. This ultra-efficient steam mop saves water and energy without sacrificing cleaning capability.
- Best Budget: Shark Steam Pocket Mop. This lightweight steam mop uses manual steam expulsion to keep costs low and features double-sided mop pads for twice the cleaning power.
- Best Heavy-Duty: Dupray Net System Cleaner. With its 54-ounce tank and 5 hard-hitting attachment heads to choose from, this heavy-duty bad boy is perfect for those with larger homes and deeper cleaning needs.
- Most Versatile: PurSteam 10-in-1 Steam Mop. Weighing in at just over 2 pounds, this versatile steam mop has 10 different attachments. You can clean your floors, your child’s toys, your outdoor grill, and even your windows with the squeegee attachment!
- Best for Pet Owners: Bissell Symphony Pet Steam Mop. This combination vacuum and steam mop features a hands-free emptying container so that you can dump the pet hair you suck up without touching it. Bissell also includes disposable mop pads for more unsavory pet waste and mess.
1. Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop
The best steam mop overall
Brand: Bissell / Tank Capacity: 16 Ounces / Weight: 6 Pounds / Head Shape: Swivel, Rectangular / Price: 💰💰
With three different steam settings, included carpet glider, dual pad options, and maneuverability, the Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop easily brings home our Best Overall. The water tank heats up in just 30 seconds, so you aren’t left waiting. It holds an impressive 16 ounces so you can clean a couple of rooms without needing to refill. Limited power outlets won’t stop you, as the power cord is 23 feet long for plenty of freedom. The mop itself weighs in at only 6 pounds, making it easy to carry around and use.
The Bissell PowerFresh comes with a soft microfiber pad for lighter cleaning and a scrubby microfiber pad for more stubborn dirt and grime. Both pads are reusable and can go in the washing machine for easy cleaning. With the flip-down Easy Scrubber, you can reach between tiles to scrub grout and clean other smaller crevices. Like most models, this steam mop can handle all kinds of surfaces, including hardwood, ceramic, linoleum, granite, and marble. But never fear, carpet-owners: a carpet glider comes with it for the ultimate versatility.
Plus, the system comes with two fragrance discs that can be dropped in the water tank to give your entire home a light, spring-breeze-clean scent. Bissell also makes separate demineralized, scented waters you can purchase to use in their steam mops. With these, your home will be smelling fresh and clea
- Easy Scrubber makes all the difference when it comes to grout
- Set up takes mere minutes and tank heats in less than 30 seconds
- Carpet glider accessory means you can clean every room in the house
- Some reviewers noted issues with steam and cleaning consistency
- Some reviewers had trouble with streaking on higher-gloss surfaces such as laminate
2. Bissell PowerFresh Slim Steam Mop
The best eco-friendly steam mop
Brand: Bissell / Tank Capacity: 12 Ounces / Weight: 6.5 Pounds / Head Shape: Multiple / Price: 💰💰💰
The Bissell PowerFresh Slim Steam Mop is an incredibly versatile dirt-busting machine with a range of accessories to tackle almost anything you can think of. It wins our eco-friendly award thanks to its incredibly efficient operation. It uses less water to get the job done than other mops and is energy efficient to save you money on your power bill.
Since you can use it to clean everything from floors to your kid’s toys, it takes the place of a broader range of chemical cleaners. This range of use reduces both chemical production and cost.
How can it do all this? With 9 different included accessories! The unit that produces steam is actually in the handle of the device. The steam pumps through whatever accessory you’ve plugged in- be it the rectangular mop head, or the short bristled scrub brush perfect for your oven or grill. Other accessories include an angled tool for getting into nooks and crannies, a grout tool, and a clothing steamer.
- The small water tank still covers a lot of ground thanks to highly efficient steam production
- The included microfiber pads (one soft and one scrubby) are machine-washable and reusable
- With 9 different attachments (that all store on the handle for easy access!), there’s almost nothing this mop can’t clean
- The power cord doesn’t store in the unit and may get in the way
- Everything is stored in the handle, making it a bit cumbersome to use
3. Shark Steam Pocket Mop
The best cheap steam mop on a budget
Brand: Shark / Tank Capacity: 3 Ounces / Weight: 5 Pounds / Head Shape: Swivel, Rectangular / Price: 💰
This budget-friendly steam mop offers all the basic features of a steam mop so that you can enjoy the power of steam cleaning without the higher price tag. Rather than automatic steam settings, steam expulsion is controlled by pushing the mop forward and pulling it back. This design requires a little more input from the user but still gets the job done. It’s one of the reasons the price tag is so reasonable.
Two microfiber pads come with the mop. They are double-sided, extending the use time of each one because you can flip the soiled side over to the unused side. Though the tank size is much smaller than some of the Pocket Mop’s fancier counterparts, users report an incredibly easy refilling process. The 18-foot power cord ensures a respectable amount of freedom from outlet locations to clean your entire home.
- Set up is a breeze and the tank heats in just 30 seconds
- Powerful enough to get the job done without breaking the bank
- Double-sided pads cover twice the floor and are super easy to flip over
- The included cup for refilling the tank does not store on the mop
- The push-pull steam activation can get tiring and be hard on those with arthritis or physical limitations
4. Dupray Neat System Cleaner
The best heavy-duty steam mop
Brand: Dupray / Tank Capacity: 54 Ounces / Weight: 9 Pounds / Head Shape: Multiple / Price: 💰💰💰
With a massive tank capacity and industrial-level cleaning attachments, the Dupray Neat System Cleaner is undoubtedly the best heavy-duty steam mop on the market. The compact water tank has a convenient, retractable carrying handle. It is also on wheels so you can quickly move it around your home. Despite how much water the tank has to heat, it still reaches steam power within just 7 minutes. The connection hose is over 6 feet long and includes two extension tubes for extra reaching capability.
Choose from 5 different attachment heads: rectangular (for floors and flat surfaces), triangular (for windows and corners), lance (or small nooks and crannies), nylon brush (for scrubbing power), and brass brush (for ultimate scrubbing power). All heads and hose extension tubes easily click in and out of place, so you aren’t left fiddling with connection points.
- Multiple attachments for broad cleaning power
- Low-moisture steam provides incredible cleaning power
- Large tank offers nearly an hour of cleaning time on a single fill
- Though you don’t need to refill it often, refilling the void tank takes a solid 5-10 minutes
- The tank is bulky and can be a pain to haul around despite the wheels and integrated handle
5. PurSteam 10-in-1 Steam Mop
The best flexible steam mop
Brand: PurSteam / Tank Capacity: 11.5 Ounces / Weight: 2 Pounds / Head Shape: Mulitple / Price: 💰💰
The PurSteam 10-in-1 Steam Mop is by far the most versatile mop we encountered in our search. Weighing in at only 2.2 pounds, most anyone can use this lean, mean, cleaning machine with ease. Two microfiber pads come with it for the mop head, both of which can be machine-washed and reused repeatedly. The water reservoir holds just under 12 ounces of water for half-an-hour of cleaning time that still fully heats in just 30 seconds.
With 3 different steam settings and 10 various accessory attachments, the PurSteam 10-in-1 can clean anything you have to throw at it. There’s even a squeegee attachment perfect for streak-free window cleaning! The steam production is in the body of the mop. However, it easily detaches to convert into a handheld unit still compatible with all the different accessories. Used by itself, the handheld unit is perfect for steaming clothes to eliminate wrinkles and freshen fabrics.
Plus, there’s a 2-year free replacement warranty from the manufacturer, so you can try it risk-free.
- Wide range of attachable accessories to clean everything in the home
- Unique filtration system works with regular tap water rather than requiring distilled
- Incredibly lightweight unit with detachable handheld unit is incredibly easy to maneuver
- Some reviewers had trouble keeping the mop head in contact with the floor because the unit is so lightweight
- A few reviewers had an accessory wear out quickly, but appeared to have excellent customer service and quick replacements
6. Bissell Symphony Pet Steam Mop
The best vacuum and steam mop combo for pet owners
Brand: Bissell / Tank Capacity: 13 Ounces / Weight: 9.5 Pounds / Spec: Rectangular / Price: 💰💰💰💰
If you have pets, then you know the struggle that comes with cleaning up after them. We love our fur babies, but they certainly manage to get hair and dirt everywhere. Luckily, the Bissell Symphony Pet Steam Mop is here to save the day. This combination vacuum and steam mop can be used on pretty much any floor surface. In addition, it includes some stellar accessories for the ultimate cleaning power.
The large tank offers a respectable amount of cleaning time per fill. The vacuum’s reservoir has a Drop-It emptying switch, so you don’t get dirt, dust, and fur all over your hands (or the floor). For some of the less pleasant pet messes, the Bissell Symphony comes with disposable mop pads that you can toss in the trash when they’re soiled. The unit also comes with reusable microfiber pads for tamer, everyday cleaning.
- Disposable mop pads for pet waste and unsavory messes
- Versatility between steam mopping and vacuuming is every pet owner’s dream
- It boasts a hands-free emptying system so you don’t have to touch the gross things you vacuum up
- At just under 10 pounds, the unit is lightweight for a vacuum but pretty heavy for a steam mop
- The suction of the vacuum isn’t as strong as some other pet vacuums on the market, but the combination steam mop is well worth it
What to Look for in the Best Steam Mops
So what is the best steam mop? That’s largely up to you, and which one will best meet your needs. What might work great for one person might not be so great for another. That’s why it’s important to keep the following features in mind as you peruse your options:
Floor Type. Make sure the mop you’re interested in can actually handle the kinds of surfaces you want it to clean.
Steam Settings. Many mops come with multiple different steam settings for different types of surfaces and levels of clean. Make sure the mop you pick has all the options you need.
Head Shape. Consider the type of furniture you want to clean around or beneath, and choose a head-attachment that will be able to get into the spaces you need it to.
Maneuverability and Weight. Some mops are heavier and harder to push around. Cleaning doesn’t have to be a workout, so be sure to pick a steam mop you’re confident you can use with ease.
Tank Capacity. Smaller tanks mean a lightweight mop, but more time-consuming refills. Be sure to compare how much water the mop can hold to how much floor space you have.
Cord. Though some steam mops are cordless, many aren’t. If the power cord is too short, you might not be able to reach everywhere in your home to clean.
And there you have it — the best steam mops on the market for every kind of mess. Go forth and clean with confidence, ease, and steam!
For this guide on steam mops, our team spent 3 hours researching the most popular options from over 15 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about one hundred and fifty user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each mop. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 6 steam mops on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.