These days you don’t have to consume meat to enjoy the taste of a burger. The best vegan burger brands offer products that taste and smell like traditional beef patties but without the undesirable effects. An increasing number of consumers are switching to meatless burgers for a kinder impact on the environment and their bodies. Vegan burger patties are still loaded with protein and come in various interesting flavors like black bean chipotle and more.
When you’re trying to choose the best vegan burger brand, it might be overwhelming. There are countless to choose from. To help with the selection, we’ve compiled a list of the best meatless burgers on the market. You can find these brands in more grocery stores. Keep reading for the best vegan burger patties.
Our Top Picks: Best Vegan Burgers
In a hurry? Here are our top picks:
- Best Overall: Beyond Burger. Our top pick for the best meatless burger is from Beyond Burger. It maintains its shape when cooking and a hefty flavor, making it a great option.
- Best Runner-Up: Dr. Praeger’s California Veggie Burger. High in protein and low in calories make this vegan burger from Dr. Praeger our runner up for the best vegan burger.
- Best Budget: Gardein Ultimate Plant-Based Burger. Budget shouldn’t restrict one’s ability to eat delicious vegan burgers. Gardein’s vegan burger option is the best budget pick.
- Best Splurge: Amy’s California Veggie Burger. Should you be looking to splurge on your vegan patty, Amy’s vegan burger is the perfect combination of flavor and texture to treat yourself with a healthy meal.
- Best “Chicken” Vegan Burger: MorningStar Buffalo Chik Patties. Shake up your vegan burger experience with these “chicken” patties. They smell like chicken, look like chicken, but are made with plant products.
- Best Black Bean: Hilary’s Adzuki Veggie Burger. For a bite of something spicy and tangy, try Hillary’s Southwest-inspired burger. Lime, green chilis and more make this patty one of the most flavorful on the list.
- Best for Breakfast: Gardein Breakfast Patties. Vegan patties are not only made for lunch and dinner. Gardein offers an affordable and delicious vegan patty for breakfast.
- Best Low-Calorie: Boca Original Veggie Burger. Boca is a low-calorie option that is great for those trying to balance a healthy vegan diet, losing weight, and eating tasty food.
1. Beyond Burger
The best vegan burger overall
Brand: Beyond Meat | Protein: 20 Grams | Seasoning: Original | Price: 💰💰💰
Our overall top pick for the best vegan burger is the Beyond Burger. Place this burger side-by-side with a standard meat burger, and you won’t be able to tell the difference. It’s thick, juicy, and tastes fresh. This version comes with no seasoning, allowing you to get creative with what spices you use to make the final flavor profile more unique. Those with soy or gluten sensitivities can eat the Beyond Burger with no concern as it’s free from both of these products. It contains coconut as its protein base but still offers more protein than a standard beef patty.
- Tastes delicious
- Grills and seasons just like a beef patty
- Beet juice is added to resemble meat juice
- Somewhat strange aftertaste
- Slightly pricier than other vegan burgers
2. Dr. Praeger’s California Veggie Burger
The best vegan burger runner-up
Brand: Dr. Praeger’s | Protein: 5 Grams | Seasoning: Original | Price: 💰💰
Made with 10 kinds of veggies, it’s hard to imagine this vegan burger from Dr. Praeger tasting anything like a traditional burger. You’ll be surprised to find that it does. Like most vegan burgers on the market, Dr. Praeger’s burger is non-GMO. The largest complaint from reviewers is of the burger’s consistency. If you’re a regular at the grill and looking for a vegan burger that can withstand the intensity of your grill, Dr. Praeger’s might not be the best option as it has a soft texture. However, if you mainly cook your burgers in the oven or stovetop, Dr. Praeger’s is still a prime brand to consider.
- Takes seasoning well
- Deep, slightly-oniony flavor
- Made with 10 different veggies
- Doesn’t work well on the grill
- Pricier than many other brands
3. Gardein Ultimate Plant-Based Burger
The best budget vegan burger
Brand: Gardein | Protein: 19 Grams | Seasoning: Original | Price: 💰💰💰
Perhaps the greatest misconception when it comes to eating vegan is that it’s expensive. While some brands and products come with a higher price point, some strive to keep their prices low. Gardein’s plant-based burger is chock-full of protein and flavors that match those of more expensive brands while maintaining an affordable price. Reviewers rave about the rich flavor of the patty, saying it tastes just like a traditional burger. Gardein also avoids the tangy aftertaste that most other vegan burger brands have. It’s an excellent option for a low-budget vegan burger.
- No unpleasant aftertaste
- Flavor matches that of a traditional burger
- Less expensive than other competing brands
- Texture doesn’t lend itself to grilling
- Carries a lot of saturated fat per serving
4. Amy’s California Veggie Burger
The best vegan burger worth splurging on
Brand: Amy’s | Protein: 6 Grams | Seasoning: Original | Price: 💰💰💰
The unique flavoring of veggies, grains, and walnuts make Amy’s California Veggie Burger a favorite among vegan burger eaters. It’s our top pick for the best vegan burger to splurge on. Compared to other competing brands, Amy’s burgers tend to be pricier, usually coming in at $6-$7 for a box of four patties. However, if you’re in the market to splurge, Amy’s might be a good option. They are sturdy, allowing you to heat them via stovetop, grill, microwave, or oven quickly. Amy’s is readily available at most major grocery stores.
- Amy’s is a reputable health brand
- Lactose-free, soy-free, and kosher
- Soft, bready texture works well on a bun, salad, or standalone
- Very high in sodium
- Very flat, must be careful not to overcook
5. MorningStar Buffalo Chik Patties
The best “chicken” vegan burger
Brand: MorningStar | Protein: 9 Grams | Seasoning: Buffalo Chicken | Price: 💰
Branch out from beef-flavored veggie burgers to try a chicken-flavored vegan burger. MorningStar has a buffalo chicken vegan burger that will make your mouth water. The difference between this burger and an actual chicken burger is negligible. Combined with the buffalo flavoring, it’s hard to beat. These “chicken” patties are easy to cook in an oven, microwave, and stovetop. They even hold together when put to the test on a grill. Shake up your vegan burger routine with these buffalo chicken burgers. Reviewers note that using an air fryer to cook these burgers results in a nice crunch.
- Low in fat and calories
- Also comes in a plain variety
- Flavorful spices without being overwhelming
- Somewhat small size
- Reviewers wish there were more patties in the bag
6. Hilary’s Adzuki Veggie Burger
The best black bean vegan burger
Brand: Hilary’s | Protein: 4 Grams | Seasoning: Adzuki & Chili | Price: 💰💰
For a pop of something spicy in your vegan burger, Hilary’s adzuki veggie burger is your best best. The patty blends with lime, green chilis, chili powder, garlic, dried onion, and more to give it that kick you expect from any southwest burger. Hilary’s prides themselves on being free from common allergens, ensuring their products are safe and delicious for all consumers. The main ingredient of this burger is quinoa, which is a complete protein by itself. Despite this, one of the biggest reviewer complaints is the relatively low protein count. Pair it with cheese, sauces, and a high-protein bun for a mightier hit of protein.
- Absolutely scrumptious
- Holds together well when cooked and being eaten
- Zingy scent out of the package and comes with a kick when cooked
- Very high in sodium
- Little protein compared to other brands
7. Gardein Breakfast Patties
The best vegan burger for breakfast
Brand: Gardein | Protein: 9 Grams | Seasoning: Original | Price: 💰
Maybe you’re more of a breakfast person and looking for the perfect vegan patty for a wholesome and nutritious breakfast. Meat-free and loaded with protein make this breakfast patty from Gardein the best vegan burger for breakfast. Eat it solo or as part of a breakfast sandwich. One key factor that sets this breakfast patty apart is that it’s keto-friendly. It contains 55% less fat than a pork-based breakfast patty but is still just as juicy and flavorful. For a quick, easy, and tasty breakfast, try this breakfast patty.
- Great flavor profile and texture
- Savory taste of traditional breakfast patties
- Easy to cook and done in less than 10 minutes
- Slightly unpleasant aftertaste
- Pricier than many other competing brands
8. Boca Original Veggie Burger
The best low-calorie vegan burger
Brand: Boca | Protein: 13 Grams | Seasoning: Original | Price: 💰
When it comes to eating vegan and maintaining a low-calorie diet, there is no reason why you should have to sacrifice flavor. Our top pick for the best low-calorie vegan burger is from Boca. Their original veggie burger is unique in that it still packs the taste of a traditional meat burger while staying under 100 calories per patty. It’s ideal for those using a vegan diet to help them lose or maintain weight. Compared to other brands, Boca burgers have less flavor. However, it gives you the freedom to add whatever condiments or sides you desire to make a unique flavor profile.
- Classic vegan burger substitute
- Reasonably priced for a vegan burger
- High in protein, low in fat, low in calories
- Not free from soy
- Does not cook well in a microwave; use an oven or stovetop
What to Look for in the Best Vegan Burgers
Seasoning, protein, price, and more factors can make selecting a vegan burger challenging. It’s essential to first take stock of what is desirable to you in a vegan burger. Here are some things to consider when making your choice.
First and foremost, when choosing the best vegan burger patty, you should consider how much protein there is per serving. Getting enough protein is vital for those on a vegan diet. Food options can be optimized to help you meet your daily protein intake requirements. Depending on how you’re planning to eat the burger, protein content might be high priority.
2. Seasoning vs. No Seasoning
Most vegan burger brands are successful at making their product taste and smell like a traditional beef burger. However, if you’d like something slightly different, a burger with a unique seasoning is an option. Keep in mind that for a burger with no seasoning, you’ll be able to mix and match other ingredients to craft your individually-styled burger.
3. Potential Allergens
Because vegan burgers do not contain meat, they use other plant sources as their bases. Usually, this is soy, but some brands also contain wheat and gluten in their products. You must read the nutritional label, and ingredients list closely before eating a vegan burger.
If you have sensitivities to ingredients commonly found in plant-based products, this should be your first consideration when making your vegan burger selection. For example, many meat substitutions contain wheat flour or a derivative. If you are gluten-intolerant, this could be a big one to look out for.
For this guide on vegan burgers, our team spent 6 hours researching the most popular options from over 15 brands big and small. We then read about two hundred user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each burger. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 8 vegan burgers on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.