Some say that abs are made in the kitchen. This is partly true, since you’ll have to reduce your body fat percentage to make those muscles visible. But the main factor is your training. That’s why the best ab rollers are so essential — they engage your core like nothing else so that you can build stronger abs in no time.
Our favorite ab roller? The Perfect Fitness Ab Carver, thanks to its innovative built-in kinetic engine and superior craftsmanship. But if that doesn’t crank your wheel, there are several excellent options on the market. Read on to check them out!
Our Top Picks: Best Ab Rollers
Looking for the best ab roller on the market? One of these is bound to suit you:
- Best Overall: Perfect Fitness Ab Carver. Designed by a Navy SEAL and put through rigorous testing, the Perfect Fitness Ab Carver with its built-in kinetic engine is the best ab roller overall.
- Best Runner-Up: SKLZ Core Wheels Ab Trainer. Coming in second is the SKLZ Ab Trainer, a multi-unit dual-wheel roller that helps you develop pillar strength and stamina.
- Best Budget: Fitnessery Ab Wheel. Finesse this exceptional ab roller without breaking the bank. The Fitnessery Ab Wheel offers everything you need to get started in one compact unit.
- Best Versatile: Lifeline Power Wheel. If you want to take your workout to the next level, simply grab the Lifeline Power Wheel. This versatile roller offers hand and feet grips and supports countless exercises.
- Best Portable: Kandoon Abdominal Roller Wheel. Want to workout on the go? Train your abs wherever you’re at with this two-pound wheel that breaks apart for easy transport.
- Best Dual-Wheel: Elite Sportz Ab Wheel Roller. Develop rock-hard abs with this robust dual-wheel roller that’s ready to go right out of the box.
- Best High-Capacity: King Athletic Ab Roller Wheel. For the massively buff trainers out there, the King Athletic Ab Roller Wheel supports up to 500 pounds and offers a killer workout.
1. Perfect Fitness Ab Carver
The best ab roller overall
Manufacturer: Perfect Fitness / Wheel Size: 7.75” / Weight: 4.5 Pounds / Accessories: Kneepads / Price: 💰💰💰
The Navy SEALS are some of the fittest people on the planet. They’re regularly put through grueling fitness tests and training regimes. One of them, Alden Mills, designed the Perfect Fitness Ab Carver. Not to worry — that doesn’t mean you have to be super-fit to use it. In fact, Mills designed this product with complete beginners in mind. His aim was to make the standard ab roller more comfortable and effective to use. The good news? He succeeded.
First of all, the handles are angled downwards. This takes the strain off the shoulder and instead engages the triceps so that you can maintain balance and control.
Secondly, the wheel has wider traction than most other models, with slanted edges. This allows users to create ‘carving’ motions to the side, rather than just going back and forth. This motion recruits even more of the stabilizing muscles in your torso. It also engages the obliques to give you definition in the sides of your abs as well as the front.
But the main selling point of the Perfect Fitness Ab Carver is the built-in kinetic engine. This is a heavy-duty metal coil inside the device, which provides resistance while you’re rolling out, followed by assistance with the more challenging pulling back motion.
More advanced users may find that this doesn’t allow them to get a full range of motion. However, it’s ideal for beginner or intermediate users who need a little extra help.
- Developed by a Navy SEAL
- Extra-wide tread offers a tougher workout
- Ergonomic grips activate arm and core muscles
- Short spring tightening range
- May develop a strange popping sound
2. SKLZ Core Wheels Ab Trainer
The best ab roller runner-up
Manufacturer: SKLZ / Wheel Size: 6.5” / Weight: 3 Pounds / Accessories: N/A / Price: 💰💰💰
SKLZ is known for producing high-quality sports equipment for professional athletes, and their ab trainer is no different.
Instead of a single roller, this product comes as a pair. Each one looks like a small dumbbell with a wheel instead of a weight on each end. They weigh just 1.5 pounds each but can support up to 225 pounds in body weight.
Separating one roller into two in this way makes the product much more versatile, so you can take your standard ab exercises to the next level by performing new movements at different angles.
As well as rolling forward and backward, you can also roll in and out with your arms spread out at your sides. This gives you a shoulder and chest workout as well as an ab workout.
Still not sure? This ab roller isn’t just backed by a one-year warranty — it also features some of the best ab roller reviews on the market.
- Helps with pillar strength development
- Ergonomic foam handles offer extra support
- Lightweight and portable design is perfect for training on the go
- Can be dangerous for beginners
- Wheels are fixed to each axel, and they offer linear movement only
3. Fitnessery Ab Wheel
The best ab wheel on a budget
Manufacturer: Fitnessery / Wheel Size: 7” / Weight: 1 Pound / Accessories: Knee Mat / Price: 💰💰
Fitnessery’s ab wheel sets itself apart with manufacturing that’s a cut above the rest.
The shaft is made from nickel-plated steel and surrounded by a rubber tread that gives a long-lasting product lifespan. Inside, bearings make each rotation as smooth as possible. Rubber handles give you a firm grip, so you don’t have to worry about slipping, even when your hands are sweaty.
The edges of this roller are slightly rounded to provide an extra challenge. This is because it requires more balance to keep it straight as you roll it out.
- Thick, supportive grips
- Comes with a knee mat and workout plans
- Durable steel, PBC, and rugged rubber construction
- Difficult to get the grips on the rod
- Can be more challenging than spring-loaded rollers
4. Lifeline Power Wheel
The most versatile ab wheel roller
Manufacturer: Lifeline / Wheel Size: 13” / Weight: 3 Pounds / Accessories: Straps & Stirrups / Price: 💰💰💰
It’s not just incredibly versatile. The Lifeline Power Wheel is among the best ab wheel rollers, hands down. Speaking of which, this ab roller doesn’t have to be hand-held. With the Lifeline Power Wheel, you can operate it with your feet, too!
This product has the innovative addition of footrests and straps, which allow you to expand the range of ab exercises you can perform. This way, you can get a full-body workout.
With a diameter of 13 inches, this wheel is larger than most. It also features soft foam grips on the handlebars for extra comfort, so your hands won’t become fatigued as quickly as they would with other models.
- Quality construction; rolls smoothly
- Foot grips offer a wide range of workouts
- Perfect width, meaning less stress on your joints
- Hard to balance due to size
- Strapping to your feet can be a challenge
5. Kandoon Abdominal Roller Wheel
The best portable ab roller
Manufacturer: KANSOON / Wheel Size: 3” & 5.5” / Weight: 2 Pounds / Accessories: Kneepad & Resistance Brake / Price: 💰💰💰
If you want an ab roller that’s small and portable, the Kandoon Abdominal Roller Wheel is perfect for you. This product is foldable and lightweight, so it’s easy to fit into your gym bag and carry around for workouts in just about any place.
Instead of one large and bulky wheel, this roller has two small ones. The handles can be detached and reattached when you need them. This all helps to make it as compact as possible.
All in all, it’s the most convenient ab roller out there. When you buy it, you’ll even get a handy knee pad, too. The only downside is that the foldable design makes it less sturdy than other models.
- Easy to disassemble; very portable
- Supportive anti-skid stripe on rear wheel
- High-density foam accessory complements home workouts
- Handles can shift while rolling
- Feels less stable than other dual-wheel rollers
6. Elite Sportz Ab Wheel Roller
The best dual-wheel ab roller
Manufacturer: Elite Sportz / Wheel Size: 6” / Weight: 1.5 Pounds / Accessories: N/A / Price: 💰💰
The Elite Sportz Ab Wheel Roller uses a double-wheel design to provide more stability. This means that you don’t have to worry about wobbling from side to side, as you might with some other rollers.
With this extra support, you can have more confidence and balance when you’re rolling out.
This model is the ideal option for those looking for something basic and reliable. Unlike some other rollers, it comes fully-assembled, removing the hassle of putting it together yourself.
Elite Sportz offers a 100% money-back guarantee, so you can get a full refund if you’re not satisfied with your purchase.
- Comes fully assembled and ready to go
- Excellent warranty and support from Elite Sportz
- Dual-wheel design offers a smooth, wobble-free workout
- Not free-spinning
- Wheels are on the smaller side
7. King Athletic Ab Roller Wheel
The best high-capacity ab roller
Manufacturer: King Athletic / Wheel Size: 6” / Weight: 1.5 Pounds / Accessories: N/A / Price: 💰💰
The King Athletic Ab Roller Wheel is another double-wheel product on the market with a money-back guarantee.
This one comes with two instructional e-books, teaching you all about putting it together and using it. With a range of exercises to try, you’ll never be short of a new challenging workout for your abs.
There’s a heavy-duty metal shaft, which supports even the heaviest individuals without cracking or breaking. Foam strips along the handles provide extra grip, and the dual-traction wheels can be used on just about any surface.
One of the best-rated ab rollers when it comes to weight and ease of use.
- Steel and EVA foam construction
- Rolls smoothly on nearly every surface
- Extremely durable and rated up to 500 pounds
- Small wheels
- Incredibly challenging design
What to Look for in the Best Ab Rollers
When it comes to finding the best ab rollers for your workout, don’t just buy the first product you see. There are a handful of important points to consider.
Check the quality of the materials and manufacturing before you buy. If an ab roller is made from flimsy plastic, it will eventually bend and break under stress.
Choose ones made from more durable materials, like ABS, stainless steel, or other heavy-duty materials. That way, you’ll get more return on your investment.
2. Brand Reputation
Only buy from brands with a solid market presence and brand reputation.
Check the website’s ‘about’ section to see how long they’ve been in business, and read customer reviews to get an idea of what to expect. When you do, watch out for fake reviews.
Also, keep in mind that any reputable supplier will offer a money-back guarantee. If you don’t see one, look elsewhere. Otherwise, you could end up wasting your money.
The basic ab roller design is effective, but it’s outdated. Go for something that has a little extra. Whether it’s a more creative design or extra accessories, you should be looking for something more than just a standard wheel on a stick.
Best Ab Roller Exercises
Once you’ve purchased one of the best ab rollers, you can use it to do the following exercises:
Ab Wheel Planks
This is one of the most basic ab roller exercises.
Hold the roller with your arms straight in the plank position. This means your elbows and wrists should sit directly under your shoulders. Hold this position for 30-60 seconds.
From the same starting position, lift one foot off the floor as high as possible while maintaining your balance.
Hold it there for 2-5 seconds before slowly dropping it down and repeating on the other side.
From the plank position, come down to your knees.
Then, roll out as far forward as you can while maintaining your balance. When you’ve gone as far as you can, slowly roll back inward to the starting position.
Instead of rolling straight forward and backward, angle the roller out to the side at a 45-degree angle. This targets your oblique muscles.
If you have an ab roller with footrests, you can do this one.
Strap your feet in and get yourself into the plank position, with your palms on the floor. From there, bring your knees as close to your chest as possible. As you do so, make sure that the rest of your body stays stable.
This is a more advanced exercise for rollers with foot straps.
Start in the same position as you would with knee tucks. With this one, instead of moving your knees, bring your hips up towards the ceiling. This will force your body to create a V-shape.
Hold this position for 1-2 seconds before slowly returning to the starting position.
For this guide on ab rollers, our team spent 2 hours researching the most popular options from over 25 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about one hundred user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each roller. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 7 ab rollers on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.