Seeking balance in your life? You’ve got to check out the best balance boards! These mind and body training accessories offer a myriad of health benefits, from improving focus to strengthening your core and balance systems. Plus, they add a sprinkle of fun to any workout routine.
Our favorite balance board is the Revolution 101, which features convenient sizing and grip, and is entirely handcrafted in the USA. That said, there are plenty of excellent options out there, each with a distinct purpose. Ready to check them out? Center yourself, and let’s begin!
Our Top Picks: Best Balance Boards
What’s the best balance board? Here are our top picks:
- Best Overall: Revolution 101 Balance Board. Handcrafted from heavy-duty composite wood and complete with a premium plastic roller, the Revolution 101 Balance Board boasts an incredible balance of quality and performance.
- Best Eco-Friendly: Pono Balance Board. If you’re in the market for an eco-friendly balance board, the Pono offers a sustainably-sourced bamboo frame free of phthalates.
- Best Budget: Yes4All Wooden Wobble Balance Board. Say yes to the Yes4All Balance Board, and enjoy a top-notch disc-shaped board that offers 360° rotation and 15° tilt.
- Best Core Strength: Simply Fit Balance Board. You may remember the Simply Fit Balance Board from Shark Tank. This cutting-edge piece of workout equipment supports dozens of targeted exercises and up to 400 pounds.
- Best Surfing: Whirly Board Balance Board. If you’re a surfer, the Whirly Board Balance Board offers everything you need to prepare for those gnarly waves. Yeah, bro!
- Best Snowboarding: URBNFit Wooden Balance Board. Planning a snowboarding trip? Hop atop the URBNFit Wooden Balance Board to strengthen your core in preparation for the slopes.
- Best Dancing: Bintiva Balance Board. The Bintiva boasts an inflatable form factor with an uneven rubber top and base, making it a great workout tool for dancers seeking greater stability.
- Best Disc: EveryMile Wobble Balance Board. Wibble and wobble around with this compact disc-shaped balance board that features convenient carrying handles and weighs just 3.5 pounds!
- Best Children: Milliard Wooden Waldorf Balance Board. The Milliard is perfect for strengthening your children’s balance systems while offering a creative outlet for their imaginations.
- Best Seniors: INDO BOARD Balance Board. Studies show that slips and falls can be a thing of the past with regular workouts atop the INDO BOARD Balance Board.
1. Revolution 101 Balance Board
The best balance board overall
Brand: Revolution Balance Boards | Type: Deck | Size: 12” x 30” | Capacity: 400 Pounds | Styles: 2 | Price: 💰💰💰💰
Looking for the best balance board? When it comes to overall quality and performance, there’s a clear winner. Introducing the Revolution 101 Balance Board.
Handcrafted in the USA, this two-piece balance board is built to last. The board is made of heavy-duty (yet lightweight) wood composite, while the roller it sits on features a robust plastic. Together, they hold upwards of 400 pounds!
As for performance? The top of the board is cushioned, making it easy to find your center with shoes or barefoot. Simply place the board on the roller, hop on, and steady yourself to improve your balance, coordination, and stability. And did we mention? The Revolution 101 is tons of fun! Join the revolution and feel for yourself.
- Made in the USA
- Comfy cushioned top
- Boasts durable composite and plastic construction
- Can be dangerous
- Dirties quickly and difficult to clean
2. Pono Balance Board
The best eco-friendly balance board
Brand: Pono Ola | Type: Deck | Size: 15” x 30” | Capacity: 250 Pounds | Styles: 3 | Price: 💰💰💰💰
If you’ve ever gone out of your way to shop for an eco-friendly product, you know how much of a hassle it can be. You often have to do a lot of searching, only to land on an inferior (or simply par) product that costs three times the price. The good news? That’s not the case with the Pono Balance Board!
Although it is a bit pricey, the Pono Board flaunts a one-of-a-kind design. It features a solid, sustainably-sourced wood bamboo deck that sits atop four phthalate and BPA-free rubber balls in each corner. Use it for balance training, strength conditional, or maintaining postural integrity at your standing desk — the options are endless!
Save the planet and balance like a pro? Yes, please!
- Among the best balance trainers
- Ideal for improving balance, strength, and posture
- Sustainably-sourced bamboo with no phthalates or BPA
- Must inflate the balls
3. Yes4All Wooden Wobble Balance Board
The best cheap balance board
Brand: Yes4All | Type: Disc | Size: 16” | Capacity: 300 Pounds | Styles: 7 | Price: 💰
How about a balance board that doesn’t break the bank? That’s what you get with the Yes4All Wooden Wobble Balance Board!
This ultra-affordable option features a disc-shaped wooden surface, outfitted with non-slip and anti-skid pads. It sits atop a sturdy plastic base that rotates 360° and features up to 15° of tilting, all while supporting up to 300 pounds. Use it at home, at the office, or take it on the go with the convenient handles. The board’s compact frame is just 16″ in diameter and comes in seven sleek color options, meaning the Yes4All Balance Board looks great and fits with any decor.
The only real drawback to the balance board is the durability. There have been reports of the grip coming off within the first few weeks of use. But these reports are few and far between, and the overall customer response is fantastic!
- Very affordable
- 360° rotation and 15° tilt
- Versatile board that’s great for various balancing exercises
- Grip slowly peels off
- Too narrow for some users
4. Simply Fit Balance Board
The best balance board for core strength
Brand: Simply Fit | Type: Deck | Size: 11” x 26” | Capacity: 400 Pounds | Styles: 3 | Price: 💰💰
It’s time to get fit and boost your core strength with the Simply Fit Balance Board!
This colorful board comes in three delightful styles and is an exceptional way to get your daily workout in while having fun. It’s made of a premium ABS plastic that’s lightweight and durable, supporting up to 400 pounds with ease. It also features an entirely anti-slip surface that delivers extra security and peace of mind while training. You can use this swiveling balance board to target your entire body — try out squats, planks, and donkey kicks, and see how exciting training can be.
The board can be challenging to find, but it’s well worth searching one out. Trust us — your body will thank you!
- Featured on Shark Tank
- Incredibly light at just 3 pounds
- Comes with a fantastic workout DVD
- DVD is great, but there’s lots of chatter
- Reports that the board only lasts about a year
5. Whirly Board Balance Board
The best balance board for surfing
Brand: Whirly Board | Type: Deck | Size: 8” x 33″ | Capacity: 300 Pounds | Styles: 2 | Price: 💰💰💰💰
Get your surf on with the Whirly Board Balance Board. It’s totally radical, dude!
The Whirly Board Balance Board is great for surfers, but it’s also a great workout device in general. The unique design offers three fixed base points: one large in the center of the board and two at either end of the board. A recurring opinion is that this board is very challenging, but fantastic for improving your balance. Check out the workout video that comes with the unit, and try over 52 individual, low-impact exercises to see what the Whirly Board is all about.
- Lifetime replacement guarantee
- Cool skateboard-inspired design
- Extremely versatile, great for balance and low-impact exercises
- Deck is a bit rigid
- Not ideal for broad feet
6. URBNFit Wooden Balance Board
The best balance board for snowboarding
Brand: URBNFit | Type: Deck | Size: 12” x 29” | Capacity: 300 Pounds | Styles: 1 | Price: 💰💰💰
This URBNFit Wooden Balance Board is definitely the best balance board for snowboarding. It’s got that classic deck shape and is made from a robust combination of pine and poplar wood. Combined with the easy-glide surface roller that rests underneath the board, this model boosts balance, strength, and agility through Neuromuscular Response Training. AKA, it’s a tremendous boon for boarders.
The URBNFit comes with a workout and quick start guide, making jumping into the action a cinch. Hop aboard the deck, plant your feet on the non-slip grip tape, and begin practicing today! It’ll cost you under 100 bones to get started.
- Robust poplar and pine construction
- Offers Neuromuscular Response Training
- Comes with a convenient quick start guide and training manual
- One style (though it looks rad)
- Becomes skewed and requires reconfiguring mid-workout
7. Bintiva Balance Board
The best balance board for dancers
Brand: Bintiva | Type: Disc | Size: 13” | Capacity: 450 Pounds | Styles: 7 | Price: 💰
Up next, we have the Bintiva Balance Board, a playful option, and one of the best balance boards for dancers. This model has excellent consumer reviews and offers many uses apart from improving balance.
It’s great for the exercise room and dance floor, as it can be used as a cushion and for kneeling. Since it’s an unstable surface that requires multiple muscles to balance on, it’s also excellent at promoting core stability while improving muscle tone and posture. The Bintiva comes in a variety of colors and is perfect for developing the entire body.
- Lots of playful colors
- Boosts core stability and overall posture
- Fantastic option for children and dancers
- Very firm
- Requires occasional re-inflation
8. EveryMile Wobble Balance Board
The best balance disc
Brand: EveryMile | Type: Disc | Size: 16” | Capacity: 300 Pounds | Styles: 4 | Price: 💰💰
Care to take your training up a notch with the best balance disc on the market? Go the extra mile with an EveryMile Wobble Balance Board.
This colorful board features ABS plastic construction complemented by a rubber base that moves with 360° of rotation and 15° of tilt. It’s also incredibly durable, sustaining loads up to 300 pounds, yet weighing in at just three and a half pounds. The board is ideal for various workouts, including balance and stability training, and it adds a wonderful twist to traditional exercises like pushups and bicycles.
Best of all? The EveryMile Board is extremely compact at just 16″ in diameter and comes with convenient carrying handles on either side.
- Two handles on either side
- Abrasion-resistant ABS with non-slip surface
- Great way to add balance training to traditional workouts
- May be too compact for some
- Some slippage on smooth surfaces
9. Milliard Wooden Waldorf Balance Board
The best balance board for kids
Brand: Milliard | Type: Deck | Size: 12” x 33” | Capacity: 220 Pounds | Styles: 1 | Price: 💰💰💰
Children are the perfect candidates for balance training (with adult supervision, of course). The best balance boards for children aren’t just great exercise; they also help develop the vestibular cortex. This can provide a life-long boost to their balance systems and support any future athletic endeavors!
And, of course, they’re lots of fun. This particular style is a variant of the flat deck, and it boasts a U-shaped curve that’s sure to inspire all kinds of creative play and activities. The beechwood board is 15mm thick and supports up to 220 pounds — all without harmful additives like formaldehyde and lead. While not ideal for adults, the Milliard Wooden Waldorf Balance Board makes a wonderful addition to any playroom.
- Beautiful craftsmanship
- Comes with removable grip straps
- Corners are slightly rounded for safety
- No seal on the wood
- Only for use on carpet
10. INDO BOARD Balance Board
The best balance board for seniors
Brand: INDO BOARD | Type: Deck/Disc | Size: 18” x 30” | Capacity: 275 Pounds | Styles: 4 | Price: 💰💰💰💰
We’ve looked at a variety of deck and disc-shaped balance boards. Now it’s time for the best of both worlds — a deck with completely rounded sides.
This board boasts cabinet-grade birchwood and sits atop a proprietary IndoFLO base that features a gentle range of motion. While this gentle motion is ideal for a variety of exercises, the INDO BOARD excels at helping seniors strengthen their balance system, thus preventing falls. In fact, the INDO BOARD is used by senior fitness facilities across the world, and has been shown to prevent injury-causing falls by over one-third!
While a little pricey, the INDO BOARD is an excellent choice all the way around.
- Stellar customer service
- Made of cabinet-grade birch wood
- Ideal for exercise, standing desk, and senior fall prevention
- A bit pricey
- Complaints of a strange chemical interaction between the cushion and the board’s finish
How Do Balance Boards Work?
How do balance boards work, you ask? Before we answer that, let’s first consider how balance itself works.
When you are very young, from the moment your body has the physical strength to hold itself up, you start to toddle. Your supercomputer brain begins to develop the vestibular cortex.
The vestibular cortex relies on balance-sensory input from your inner ears. This area contains sophisticated motion detectors called semi-circular canals. There are three in each ear, and each canal is paired with another canal in the opposite ear — one that’s orientated in the same plane of motion. In this way, they detect directional movement.
Another vital sensory input? Stress and tension, as detected by your proprioception. Your proprioception works via Proprio-receptors located throughout your body. These receptors detect muscle and joint movement and are critical for maintaining balance while your body’s in motion. As you might expect, these detectors are particularly rich in the souls of your feet.
The final ingredient to your balance system is visual input. This is your spatial orientation in the world around you. The brain’s balance center progressively learns to integrate this sensory information and then match it with an appropriate musculoskeletal response.
Train Your Balance Brain
It’s easy to get lost in the sophistication and outstanding appearance of engineering within your balance system. However, the key to unlocking your balance system’s potential is realizing that it should be trained and stimulated if it is to develop.
Balance is learned. Yet, the opposite is true also. Your balance system, if not continually challenged, can become de-skilled. It is a highly dynamic system.
Your balance progressively improves as you place greater demands on your physical movements. Your balance can deteriorate following a long period of ill health or inactivity. Also, as you age, your balance can deteriorate.
Nonetheless, if you train your balance system, you can rehabilitate it.
Balance and Balance Boards
Now that you understand the nature of your balance system and how it thrives on stimulation, you can see why balance boards are proving to be so popular.
This rise in popularity is especially evident in the sports scene, as almost every sport has some kind of dynamic element to it that requires good balance. As your balance improves, you are giving your body and brain the best tools to develop your skill.
To train your balance system, it’s as simple as using a balance board for as little as 10 minutes a day. It might be hard to believe, but this simple activity will yield rewards in all activities that rely on your balance system.
There are lots of different designs and many different reasons why you may choose one board over another. To make things easier, we’ve outlined what to look for in the best balance boards.
What to Look for in the Best Balance Boards
Now let’s go over what to look for in the best balance boards.
1. Disc vs. Deck
There are two primary types of balance boards: discs and decks.
- Discs. These circular boards are versatile, lightweight, and easy to store. The boards usually sit atop a rubber base that can twist 360° and tilt from side to side. In essence, disc balance boards offer a range of movements that will tax your balance system. These types of boards are often the cheapest on the market, starting from around $20 onward.
- Decks. These skateboard-inspired balance boards definitely look the coolest. They usually sit atop a free-rolling cylinder or rubber base and require a fair bit of skill to master. That said, if you master this over time, it will do wonders in developing your balance by training your balance system to respond to sensory information coming from the souls of your feet. Prices typically start around $100
- Are you looking to have fun while passively developing your balance?
- Do you want to use a balance board as a game at school, at home, or as part of fun activities when you throw your next BBQ?
- Or, are you someone who seriously wants to develop your balance for sports that demand a lot from your balance system, such as snowboarding or skateboarding?
Don’t assume the most expensive board will automatically meet all your goals. You need to define your goal first and then follow the principles of balance and its development, as outlined in this article.
For example, you could purchase a costly deck with a circular base, but it may be that what you really need to develop your balance is a rotational movement. On the flip side, there may be cheaper options that will give you the rotational element but not the cool stickers.
Remember, the best balance boards were invented by creative people, and you should choose your board in the same vein. Pick a board that can push your current limit and inspire you to test out different training methods.
Try not to limit yourself just to the ideas and suggestions in the guidance manual. Think outside the box. Think of new and different ways to test yourself using the balance board.
For example, if you use an inflated style, try varying the amount of air you use in the base. If you use a cylindrical base, try using it on a roll mat first (to slow it down) and then advance to hard, smooth surfaces.
Another idea is to listen to music to stimulate and occupy your brain. You may be surprised how much more difficult it is to keep your balance.
For this guide on balance boards, our team spent 4 hours researching the most popular options from over 25 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about one hundred user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each board. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 10 balance boards on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.