Finding the best workout pants for women is crucial for your routine. There’s nothing worse than being in the middle of an intense workout and feeling uncomfortable because your clothes don’t fit. Or, worse yet, feeling suddenly exposed by your paper-thin leggings and the rapid onset of sweat.
It’s true — what you wear while exercising can make nearly as big a difference as how you exercise. That’s because exercise involves various movements that require your body to twist and turn in ways that a pair of stiff bottoms simply don’t allow.
The good news? We’ve curated the top pairs of workout pants to help you get your stitch fix. Read on to see our favorite picks.
Our Top Picks: Best Workout Pants for Women
In a hurry? Here are our top picks:
- Best Overall: Lululemon Wunder Under Pants. If you’re seeking workout pants that are silky smooth and sized true, Lululemon’s Wunder Under Pants are perfect for you.
- Best Budget: LD Women’s Activewear. On a tight budget? Choose from over 40 different types and styles of activewear pants without spending more than $20!
- Best Compression: Virus ECO53.5 Lux Compression Pants. The Virus ECO53.5 Lux Compression Pants provide postural support and body temperature regulation via cutting-edge Bioceramic™ Fabric!
- Best for Young Ladies: American Apparel Women’s Leggings. American Apparel’s mid-weight leggings are ideal for female athletes aged 10 to 100.
- Best Yoga: Viosi Yoga Pants. Embrace your inner yogi with Viosi’s breathable, flared yoga pants that are as comfortable as they are stylish.
- Best Running: Active Research Women’s Compression Pants. Maximize comfort and minimize chaffing with these popular Spandex and polyester compression pants from Active Research.
- Best Shorts: Nike Women’s Pro Training Shorts. Prefer something shorter? Nike makes top-of-the-line athletic gear, and their Pro Training Shorts continue the tradition with stretchy (and aesthetically stunning) materials that’ll take your practice to the next level.
1. Lululemon Wunder Under Pants
The best workout pants for women overall
Brand: Lululemon / Material: Lycra / Sizes: 2 – 12 / Styles: 8 / Price: 💰💰💰
Looking for a well-rounded pair of women’s workout pants for all types of exercise?
The Lululemon Wunder Under Pants are perfect for your next workout, run, or yoga session. They are made for free movement and are not restrictive at all. Lululemon designed them to be tight-fitting yet smooth and soft against your skin, providing a light compressing effect. They also have an inside pocket to stash your belongings, which makes these perfect for casual wear, as well.
Although they’re on the expensive side, the Wunder Unders will complement your routine and help you meet your fitness goals.
- Perfectly smooth and silky
- Waistband lays flat against your skin
- Features a discreet storage pocket for keys and cards
- Longer than expected
- Lots of fakes on the market — beware
2. LD Women’s Activewear
The best workout pants for women on a budget
Brand: Leggings Depot / Material: Polyester & Spandex / Sizes: SM – 3XL / Styles: 40+ / Price: 💰
If you’re on a tight budget and don’t want to make too many sacrifices, you’ve got to check out the LD Women’s Activewear line.
Direct from the source, the LD line offers dozens of different workout pants for women, ranging from joggers to yoga pants and more. In other words? Whether you’re seeking the best women’s capri workout pants or just a pair of loungers, you’re totally covered. And the best part? Prices start around $10!
It’s hard to believe, yes. But snag a pair and feel the luscious polyester/spandex blend for yourself. Pants are true-to-size and go from small to extra-large, ensuring an option for everyone.
- Insanely low prices
- Smooth and soft fabrics
- Tons of options, styles, and colors to choose
- Large at the hips
- No compression options
3. Virus ECO53.5 Lux Compression Pants
The best compression workout pants for women
Brand: Virus / Material: Bioceramic™ Fabric / Sizes: SM – L / Styles: 1 / Price: 💰💰
These are for you if you’re into intense training, as the Virus Compression Pants were specially designed for high-endurance athletes. These complex pants regulate your body’s surface temperature and support postural integrity via a combination of nanotechnology, proprietary fibers, and overall design.
Moreover, these pants are engineered to assist with repairing and regenerating tissues, fighting fatigue, reducing inflammation and soreness, and improving overall circulation. Talk about an attire fit for a superhero!
- Incorporates cutting-edge technology
- Stays in place during intense workouts
- Features a smooth and cooling sensation on skin
- Shows sweat easily
- Sizes run a bit small
4. American Apparel Women’s Leggings
The best workout pants for young ladies
Brand: American Apparel / Material: Cotton & Spandex / Sizes: XS – XL / Styles: 13 / Price: 💰💰
American Apparel has studied the beauty and grace of dance attire and created a perfect pair of functional workout leggings. These pants are elegant and lovely from the high rise waistline to the slim fit that carries down the leg.
They are also midweight, offering an exceptional balance of durability, elasticity, and practicality. These are some of the best workout pants for girls and women out there!
- Excellent durability and overall quality
- Luxurious feel with midweight thickness
- Never see-through, even when wet with sweat
- Tight at the waist
- QC issues — some pants shipped with holes
5. Viosi Yoga Pants
The best women’s workout pants for yoga
Brand: Viosi / Material: Spandex & Cotton / Sizes: SM – XXL / Styles: 2 / Price: 💰💰
Did someone say a blast from the past? Viosi is taking us back to the seventies with these comfy flared yoga pants.
These pants offer extra comfort (and then some) with their high-stretch fabric and snug-waist to loose-bottom fit. The best part is after you’ve bent and stretched yourself out, you can pair these beauties with a cute top, and they double as great bottoms for a regular day out. Simply one of the best workout pants for women.
- Stylish flared design
- Comfortable compression
- Breathable material is perfect for intense workouts
- On the longer side
- Material wears down relatively quickly
6. Active Research Women’s Compression Pants
The best women’s running pants
Brand: Active Research / Material: Spandex & Polyester / Sizes: XS – XL / Styles: 1 / Price: 💰💰
Compression pants have come a long way, and they are now one of the most popular clothing items for running among women athletes. They are often much more comfortable than shorts, help prevent chafing, and don’t need adjusting.
These pants by Active Research are full length and made from high-quality stretch materials, including spandex and polyester. They exude both high levels of comfort, and allow you to keep going even when your body is colder. We can’t recommend these pants for avid runners enough.
- Lightweight, yet comfy and protective
- Lovely blend of spandex and polyester
- Among the best women’s running pants
- Only one color option
- Correct sizing is a must, else they require constant adjusting
7. Nike Women’s Pro Training Shorts
The best workout shorts for women
Brand: Nike / Material: Polyester & Spandex / Sizes: XS – XL / Styles: 3 / Price: 💰💰
Okay, you got us. These aren’t exactly pants, but they’re so good, we couldn’t help but include them on our list.
Nike has packaged some heavy-duty training features into a pair of aesthetically pleasing bottoms. Pop in your headphones and train wearing the Pro Training Shorts, which feature a polyester/spandex blend that wicks sweat and keeps you dry, cool, and comfortable throughout your workout.
They also have a thin, fitted elastic waistband. Searching for the best workout pants just became the best workout shorts!
- Perfectly stretchy
- Innovative fabric keeps you cool and comfy
- Seams trace and contour to your natural shape
- Sizes run small
- Have a tendency to roll up at waist
What to Look for in the Best Workout Pants for Women
Will your pants begin to wither quickly after a few washes? Are you going to sweat right through them in the middle of a Zumba class? Would you like to keep them long-term? Would you like to be back in a few months, searching for a replacement pair?
All these questions and more are essential to consider when shopping for the best women’s workout clothes. After all, different workouts and training styles often call for different characteristics and qualities in pants.
For instance, if you have an intense strength training session, you might want to throw on a pair of compression pants. Compression pants constrict your muscles, which may increase blood flow during the workout and can decrease soreness. If you’re into staying flexible during your yoga class, then something stretchy with a comfortable elastic waistband will be the best workout pants for you.
Don’t forget to read labels for fabric details, as well. Some fabrics are more light, silky, and breathable, such as bamboo and nylon. Others are the best at absorbing moisture, like cotton. Finding a pair of the best workout leggings requires being a little pickier about durability and narrowing down your preference based on performance.
Remember to consider the essential factors highlighted above when shopping for your exercise pants, as they will help to tailor fit your workout!
For this guide on workout pants for women, our team spent 4 hours researching the most popular options from over 25 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about one hundred user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each pair of pants. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 7 women’s workout pants on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.