Working out is tough. You’re literally breaking down your muscles, straining your body to its limits, and grinding for gains. The last thing you want to do is make your workout harder than it needs to be. Skip the long commute to the gym (and the burly men sizing you up) with the best affordable home gym equipment.
You may think that the only way to gain muscle and lose weight is with a bunch of fancy equipment. The gyms certainly hope you feel this way, as they make a massive profit off of those exorbitant memberships. But help is here — with the right tools, you can work out just as effectively from the comfort of your home, without spending a penny over $100!
This guide takes you through the best affordable home gym equipment. Join us as we check out options for all different budgets and types of workouts.
Our Top Picks: Best Affordable Home Gym Equipment
Here’s our favorite affordable home gym equipment at a glance:
- Best for Full-Body Workouts: SPRI Xertube Resistance Bands. Interested in an affordable full-body workout accessory? The SPRI Xertubes replicate the effects of most strength training machines and come in various resistance levels for a customizable workout.
- Best for Building Muscle: CAP Barbell Adjustable Dumbbell Set. Build your muscles with dumbbells — the tried-and-true affordable weight training tool. Don’t settle for anything less than the best by going with the CAP Barbell Adjustable Dumbbell Set, which adapts to your strength level.
- Best for Cardio: WOD Nation Attack Speed Jump Rope. Looking to step up your cardio game? The WOD Nation Attack Speed Jump Rope burns more calories than running and works your circulatory system to the max.
- Best for Abs: Perfect Fitness Ab Carver. Your abs make up your core, providing stability for the rest of your body. Strengthen your abs and sculpt them to six-pack perfection with the Perfect Fitness Ab Carber.
- Best for CrossFit: CAP Barbell Cast Iron Kettlebell. Have you jumped aboard the CrossFit bandwagon yet? If not, you should! Just make sure to pick up the CAP Barbell Cast Iron Kettlebell for pristine snatches and cleans.
- Best for Yoga: Manduka eKOlite Yoga Mat. Stretching is an integral part of a healthy body, and yoga takes things a step further with mental health benefits. The Manduka eKOlite will help you channel your inner yogi and prepare your body for intense workouts.
- Best for Conditioning: URBNFit Wooden Balance Board. Conditioning is key when it comes to performing longer, more intense workouts. Boost your balance and agility with the URBNFit Wooden Balance Board, and stand your ground against fatigue!
1. SPRI Xertube Resistance Bands
The best affordable home gym equipment for full-body workouts
Manufacturer: SPRI | Type: Open Loop | Material: Rubber | Band Resistance: 12.5 to 62.5 Pounds | Number of Bands: 1 | Price: 💰💰
Resistance bands are among the most versatile pieces of fitness equipment. After all, you can use resistance bands to work out the entire body, not only certain muscle groups. Not to mention, resistance bands can help you replicate most machine-based strength moves. Who said you need to go to the gym to sculpt your body?
Our favorite resistance bands? That honor goes to the SPRI Xertubes, which feature durable rubber construction and various resistance levels. Depending on the muscle groups you want to work out, you can use light, medium, or heavy bands. Generally, people use the heavier Xertubes for lower-body exercises and the light and medium bands for upper-body exercises. Depending on the option you choose, the bands start under $20.
For our complete list of resistance band recommendations, visit our best resistance bands page.
- Perfect for full-body workouts
- Lightweight and ideal for at-home use
- Excellent range of resistance levels that perform as expected
- No instruction sheet included
- Some users find the handles uncomfortable
2. CAP Barbell Adjustable Dumbbell Set
The best inexpensive home gym equipment for building muscle
Manufacturer: CAP Barbell | Weight: Adjustable Up to 40 Pounds | Interior: Cast Iron | Exterior: Baked Enamel | Price: 💰💰💰
Dumbbells are another versatile strength-building tool. Use them for regular lifting, or add extra resistance to your bodyweight workouts such as squats and planks. While dumbbells can be used to build up the entire body, they particularly excel in tricep and chest exercises.
While there are a variety of fantastic dumbbells out there, our favorite set is the CAP Barbell Adjustable Dumbbell Set. As the name implies, these are totally adjustable, and they come with six 6-pound plates and four 2.5-pound plates. Combined with the weight of the grips, you can reach up to 40 pounds total — or go as low as 5 pounds per! Not bad for such an affordable option.
In order to develop muscular endurance at home, use these for high-rep exercises. As you get stronger, steadily increase the weight, and you’ll be a regular bodybuilding in no time!
- Perfect for beginners and intermediate users alike
- Durable cast iron w/ an attractive baked enamel finish
- Comes with spin-lock collars to secure weights on grips
- Weights aren’t clearly labeled
- Persistent chemical smell that takes time to air out
3. WOD Nation Attack Speed Jump Rope
The best cheap home exercise equipment for cardio
Manufacturer: WOD Nation | Construction: ABS Handles / Surgical Steel Rope | Length: 11’ | Weight: Medium | Price: 💰
If you’d like to add cardio to your workout regimen (and you should), a jump rope is the perfect piece of fitness equipment.
Jumping rope is one of the best exercises you can do to increase your stamina and keep your circulatory system running at its best. It’s also a fantastic exercise for your legs, core, shoulders, and arms.
As for weight loss? Well, jump ropes are among the best home gym equipment for weight loss, as skipping rope burns more calories than running, without all the strain on your joints! And that’s not to mention how affordable and compact jump ropes are — AKA, precisely what you need for your home gym.
The best jump rope for home gyms has to be the WOD Nation Attack Speed Jump Rope for its overall quality. This killer jump rope features ABS handles alongside two surgical steel ropes weighing 2.2mm and 3.2mm. Find the one that feels best to you, and start skipping away! You’ll notice a difference in your endurance within a week, guaranteed.
For more jump rope recommendations, visit our best jump ropes page.
- High-quality craftsmanship
- Easy to adjust the length of the rope
- Comfortable handles are ideal for longer workouts
- Tangles easily
- Quite fast — not the best for absolute beginners
4. Perfect Fitness Ab Carver
The best cheap fitness equipment for abs
Manufacturer: Perfect Fitness | Wheel Size: 7.75″ | Weight: 4.5 Pounds | Accessories: Kneepads | Price: 💰💰
Abs are at the core of your workout experience (see what we did there?). Without a strong center, your body will suffer balance and coordination issues, and you’ll be at a higher risk of injury. As such, core training is an integral part of any serious regimen. Fortunately, building that six pack may be easier than you thought!
The Perfect Fitness Ab Carver provides an easy and relatively stress-free way to target your core and begin building strength fast. Using the roller is simple: head to your home workout area, place the kneepads (included with purchase) on the floor, and get on your hands and knees. Take hold of the Ab Carver’s ergonomic handles as you roll forward, your core stretching along the way. Then roll back to the starting position, and repeat!
The Ab Carver’s kinetic engine and carbon steel spring are mighty durable and robust enough to handle lightweight beginners and heavyweight champions alike. And, it all comes at the cost of less than $40.
- Small and affordable
- Comfortable, supportive grips
- Easy to assemble in a matter of minutes
- May begin to rattle over time
- Some users report their Ab Carver having difficulty returning to the starting position
5. CAP Barbell Cast Iron Kettlebell
The best cheap home gym equipment for CrossFit
Manufacturer: CAP Barbell | Weight Range: 10 – 80 Pounds | Interior: Cast Iron | Exterior: Enamel Paint | Price: 💰💰
A heavy kettlebell can help you with many of your CrossFit exercises, including thrusters and swings. The kettlebell can also be used when doing deadlifts, squats, and overhead presses! If you’re creative, a single kettlebell is all you need for a complete workout that targets the entire body.
Kettlebells are clearly among the best compact home gym equipment. But which one is best?
Our favorite pick is the CAP Barbell Cast Iron Kettlebell due to its superior cast iron craftsmanship and stellar customer reviews. It’s been thoughtfully designed by CAP Barbell — a major player in the industry — with top-tier features like a wide handle and flat bottom. Choose from 12 different weights, take hold of the ergonomic grip, and begin pumping that iron!
For even more kettlebell recommendations, visit our best kettlebells page.
- Durable enamel finish
- Twelve different weights to choose from
- Ideal for a variety of strength-training exercises
- No instruction manual
- May need an initial polishing due to burrs and sharp areas
6. Manduka eKOlite Yoga Mat
The best budget home gym equipment for stretching and yoga
Manufacturer: Manduka | Length: 68″ or 71″ | Width: 24″ | Thickness: 3mm or 4mm | Price: 💰💰💰
Stretching isn’t optional when it comes to developing a healthy bod. Yogis already know this, but many lifters forget this essential part of their workout routine. Fortunately, yoga mats offer an affordable and safe foundation for you to begin stretching! Yoga mats also double as a pad for other exercises like planks and pushups.
There are a ton of yoga mats on the market, but the top all-around option has to be Manduka’s eKOlite. Constructed using natural rubber from the rubber tree, this safe, non-toxic yoga mat provides the perfect base for stretching! It boasts a superior grip, even when wet, and 4mm of padding that feels like heaven on the knees. Ideal for yoga and general stretching.
The best part? The Manduka eKOlite Yoga Mat is the best small home gym equipment accessory — simply roll it up when you’re finished and tuck it away in the corner.
The next time someone tries to drag you out of the house to exercise in a crowded gym, you can respond, “namastay at home and workout in my own gym.”
- Comfy 4mm padding
- Constructed from natural rubber
- Manduka is the most respected name in the industry
- Strange “organic” smell
- Colors are not accurate
7. URBNFit Wooden Balance Board
The best cheap home workout equipment for conditioning
Brand: URBNFit | Type: Deck | Size: 12” x 29” | Capacity: 300 Pounds | Styles: 1 | Price: 💰💰💰
Get fit with a balance board! This dynamic workout tool is perfect for developing balance, coordination, and overall agility. You can use balance boards in a massive range of workouts — add it to pushups, planks, squats, and lunges for a new challenge that’ll force your muscles to strain harder than ever before. Or, use it for standalone balancing exercises that’ll put your conditioning to the ultimate test!
Our favorite balancing board comes from URBNFit. They’ve created an exceptional two-piece accessory (board and roller) that’s incredibly effective for training. The set boasts durable pine and poplar wood and comes with a non-slip emery grip that’ll keep you firmly planted atop — assuming you’ve got the skills, that is.
The best part about the URBNFit is that it’s ideal for beginners and experts alike! Browse through the colorful workout starter guide to get a feel for your options, then hop atop the board and step your fitness game up a notch.
If you’re looking for more balance boards, check out our comprehensive guide!
- Quality craftsmanship
- Made from pine and poplar
- Improves balance and builds muscle
- Grip tape peels off faster than expected
- Requires a padded surface in case of falls
For this guide on affordable home gym equipment, our team spent 4 hours researching the most popular options from over 25 brands and manufacturers big and small. We then read about seventy-five user reviews (both positive and negative) to discover what shoppers thought about each piece of equipment. After comparing this data, we narrowed our list down to the top 7 affordable home gym equipment accessories on the market. You can count on this research to guide you to a mindful purchasing decision.
If you enjoyed this read, sign up for our newsletter below and get special online shopping deals delivered straight to your inbox.